1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no love for Simpsons?

Discussion in 'Shaving Creams' started by BlacknTan, Oct 20, 2016.

1. BlacknTan

BlacknTan Legendary Member

The Simpsons Luxury Shave Creams have been around for a few years now, but I read very little about them, and do not see it often in various SOTD forums.
    While I agree that Castle Forbes, is the gold standard that all others should aspire to, I find the Simpsons creams to be first rate!
    At first I had a bit of trouble with it, and set it aside, basically forgetting about it. Then it resurfaced, and I gave it another try by a different method. A bit more water in the brush, and maybe five swirls on the cream itself ... WOW, what a difference!
    What I presently have is unscented, but I intend to try a few flavors of scents.

Does anyone else think this cream is vastly underrated?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. Cheesepiece

Cheesepiece Gold Member

Yeah - caffe latte is my favourite cream but I'm yet to try Castle Forbes

Northam Saint likes this.
  3. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

I enjoyed the one I had ... Lavender & Vetiver, I think it was. I was always intrigued by the idea of their Cafe Latte.

Yeah, nice! Just not one I found high on my priorities to repeat buy.

4. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Legendary Member

I have two and its lovely stuff, also agree I don't know why its not seen more.

5. Gairdner

Gairdner Legendary Member

Never tried it but tempted by their rose & vanilla. Although I prefer a straight rose scent so probably won't punch its ticket.

6. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Legendary Member

I'm very close to the end of a pot of Cafe Latte, lovely stuff, great lather. I'll certainly get some more.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  7. JamieM

JamieM Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales

I loved the peformance and scent of the Persian musk.

8. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

I did have one mint and something. Not a bad performer, I am trying to reduce my cream collection with the only re-purchase being Murdock. I find soaps perform much better with aggressive razors.

9. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Legendary Member

Funnily enough it ran out this morning. But I managed to repurpose the tin, with more coffee ! Hooray for easy peel labels !!!! IMG_2029.JPG

10. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Guru

Ok so having read this thread the other day I remembered i'd not used my vanilla & rose simpson's for a very long time. i've been tempted away by so many good soaps and creams that my rose stock has been left in the dark. So I had to get my shave on with my simpson's...... The scent was as I recall always appealing to my love of a clean rose but I never get any vanilla notes. It defo doesn't have that generic floral scent that TOBS pretends at being rose. As always it was easy to lather up a storm however having felt the quality of other soaps and creams of late I was disappointed. So many other soaps and creams that gives better performance and I am certain I only ever gave it love for the scent. So mid shave I had to stop as I was getting dry and tight. So I went to my daily saviour and had to add some KMF fragrance free. RESULT boom I was in heaven. scent of simpsons and performance of KMF. So wont get rid but will have to super lather with others I guess.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    BlacknTan likes this.
  11. MPH

MPH Guru

I thought about posting something similar to the OP the other day. I received a tin of Simpsons shaving cream and instantly had such a low opinion of it I nearly piffed it before even using it!?!? I have no idea why.

A little while ago i found it in the cupboard and gave it a go, and to my surprise I have been very impressed. I think it is right up there in terms of its lathering ability and performance.

May buy more.

Who'd of thunk it?????

BlacknTan likes this.
  12. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Guru

Scent, lather are great and you get some slip but there are better creams/croaps out there for far less. what is your normal go to cream?

BlacknTan likes this.
  13. MPH

MPH Guru

Cream wise, Fitjar or XPEC. Soap wise, Wickhams, grandstaff or CRSW. I love all these but I'm happy with Simpsons in my rotation too. Seems v good to me, but I've only tried the Unscented.

14. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Guru

Compared to all my KMF creams and cyril r salter shaving creams I think it lacks. its not terrible just know your paying more for name than performance

15. MPH

MPH Guru

One great thing about this hobby is that everyone's opinions are so different for each product! Would be boring if we all liked the same stuff! :)

I would like to try a scented version at some point, but buying more soap isn't high on my priority list right now. I wouldnt swear by the stuff until I had tried a couple at least.

Saying that.... Christmas is just around the corner!!!! :)

Mrchick likes this.