Why I really do not need another DE razor

R181

Grumpy old man
Youll eventually find the perfect one. One that you wont ever have to change blades on...... A Straight Razor.
Those come with their own unique set of drawbacks too. Really high maintenance costs and time consuming too. There is a reason DEs/SEs and then carts became so popular.

Bob

bandito

Ex-Addict
Lol @Sid James and @Wayne - it appears that I have to try owt that's highly rated, before moving it on at a significant loss! Fortunately I've largely steered clear of razors...so far! I've also pretty much nailed my soaps, so it should finally be less in and more out...aside from an occasional shiny razor...

Hardwood Shavings

Vendor
I am a person who likes to change it up. I have a couple brushes and razors but there will always be one you see that really catches your eye!

S

Steve Bowles

I've found that your first razor will probably be as good or better than any subsequent razor you buy. The EJ89, R89, etc. have been the most popular razors for a reason. You're not going to get a better shave with the pricey razors -- every thread discussing it confirms it. You don't need another razor, you just want another razor. And there's nothing wrong with that. The Rockwell 6s gives guidance on which plate to use to shave your head, your body, and your private parts. I found it to be a little too much information. By the way, which plate did you settle on to do the bits, @Wayne?

Wayne

Forum Sod
I've found that your first razor will probably be as good or better than any subsequent razor you buy. The EJ89, R89, etc. have been the most popular razors for a reason. You're not going to get a better shave with the pricey razors -- every thread discussing it confirms it. You don't need another razor, you just want another razor. And there's nothing wrong with that. The Rockwell 6s gives guidance on which plate to use to shave your head, your body, and your private parts. I found it to be a little too much information. By the way, which plate did you settle on to do the bits, @Wayne?
@Steve I settled on 1 not unsurprisingly for my plums 3 for my ass crack and face which is a little difficult and the rest of the plates going unused.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Youll eventually find the perfect one. One that you wont ever have to change blades on...... A Straight Razor.
Now that is interesting. I thought that however the learning curve is steep, it takes an age to shave safely with one at first and still longer than a DE when more experienced I'm leaning away from straights as I just find them a complete faff and so unpredictable I never know if I'm going to get a decent shave or a poor one. I've got to strop the damn thing and take real care whilst shaving and the second pass is just so difficult for me personally. I think there is a really good reason DE's became the razor of choice for many over SR's. I can honestly say that I have never had a shave anywhere near approaching as good as a DE shave yet. I've kidded myself I have but in reality I haven't.

MrK1

Forum GOD!
Now that is interesting. I thought that however the learning curve is steep, it takes an age to shave safely with one at first and still longer than a DE when more experienced I'm leaning away from straights as I just find them a complete faff and so unpredictable I never know if I'm going to get a decent shave or a poor one. I've got to strop the damn thing and take real care whilst shaving and the second pass is just so difficult for me personally. I think there is a really good reason DE's became the razor of choice for many over SR's. I can honestly say that I have never had a shave anywhere near approaching as good as a DE shave yet. I've kidded myself I have but in reality I haven't.

Have you tried an Feather Artist Club razor?

Almost as good as a straight, but with less faff.

S

Steve Bowles

I'm with you, brother. I found the stropping (before and after), learning to hold it with my weak hand, and the learning curve all too much.

morr

Forum GOD!
I have to say that having bought a Rockwell 6S, which I use on the 5 plate, I DO get a better shave in that I require fewer passes and my skin is considerably less irritated, allowing me to shave more frequently if I choose.
For me too, the Rockwell was a significant improvement over other razors, more so than any other razor.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I'm going to mostly agree, however I do get my best shaves with my PILS.