1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you waiting on to arrive?

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by Darkbulb, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Boojum1

Boojum1 Cosmic Member

2. Lord Fatboy

Lord Fatboy Not a Guru

Now I know what really happened to the Stone of Destiny. 11 by 2 5/8th inches Charnley Forest stone, a shade off the same size as my synthetics. A belated Christmas gift from Lady Fatboy, according to the vendor the other bidders were from the USA and Russia ("where most of them seem to go"), but her Ladyship kept it in Britain. @Godfather - lapping again, locked knees and eating my lunch at the sink... charn.jpg

Snuff, Bizzyberry, dowsing and 2 others like this.
  3. Godfather

Godfather Forum GOD!

very nice catch and an understanding lady!

Lord Fatboy and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Member #10

Ah! I've been totally stalking their site considering one. I know they are really big. DO post your thoughts on it!

Boojum1 likes this.
  5. Sid James

Sid James ...

NOS H Diamond

image.jpeg

flashashton27, Snuff, Arun and 6 others like this.
  6. Lord Fatboy

Lord Fatboy Not a Guru

7. Sid James

Sid James ...

6/8ths half hollow I believe, one of the razor yoda's will know better than me. I just love the Red scales (don't own a Red one) and covered tang, the latter of which I've developed a bit of a liking for.

Lord Fatboy and Blackmass like this.
  8. forestfield

forestfield Veteran

[​IMG]
    Colonial General Black shipped yesterday.

OJ82 and Looney12345 like this.
  9. Burgundy

Burgundy Forum GOD!

Mike's Natural Lily of The Valley
    Colonial The General (Black)

I now need to sell to make room/funds...

Acer89, Looney12345 and OJ82 like this.
  10. Sid James

Sid James ...

Acer89, Looney12345 and OJ82 like this.
  11. churchilllafemme

churchilllafemme Forum GOD!

I have some Coates Almond shaving cream coming. At $1.70 per 50ml tube, the price can't be beat. I'll save it as a backup for when I run out of vintage C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream.
    [​IMG]

OJ82 and Looney12345 like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Member #10

Pretty excited as I await my first hobo coin.
    Decided to go with a coin by James Boudreau who makes the changes through hand carving on the original coins and is a very well regarded artist.
    It was hard to pick the one I wanted from his site but this Susan Anthony dollar called out for me;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also like the traditional buffalo coin;
    [​IMG]

I think its rather neat that that an art form that started in the 17th century has been kept alive into our days.

It's also interesting that as these alterations to coins are actually not illegal (I thought they were myself) - as they alterations are not made "with a fraudulent intent". It's the same wording that makes those 'penny smashing machines' sold at tourist spots legal as well :)

Btw, if anyone's curious about the handcarving process of these hobo coins here's some video's by James (JB) himself showing how he does it;
    (Makes me wish I has some skill in that area....)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BPF9Q-7BipH/?taken-by=jbs_creations
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BPDWwIZBbAd/?taken-by=jbs_creations
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BO0komKBJ-7/?taken-by=jbs_creations

13. bakerbarber

bakerbarber Guru

My friend showed me a YouTube video or Vimeo of a guy carving a Hobo coin at dinner the other night.

I had never heard of it.

It's neat and all, but I know that if I had one I'd either lose it, spend it, or dump it in a coin star or car wash accidentally.

Neat. Not sure if I'd buy one.

The video of one being made is mesmerizing!

14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Cosmic Member

Rapid Prototype Machining Galaxy Double F Spinner

IMG_6766.JPG

Looney12345 likes this.
  15. Lord Fatboy

Lord Fatboy Not a Guru

Two originals by Billy Childish / William Hamper (or as some of you may have seen him used as an avatar on numerous shave forums "Moustache guy"). We cannot afford them, but that's sortof the point of art. Pics do not do them justice.
    billy childish.jpg Billy Childish 2.jpg