1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to preserve creams

Discussion in 'Shaving Creams' started by scarface, Oct 15, 2016.

1. scarface

scarface Well-Known Member

Is there any known way to preserve shaving creams for a longer time?
    I suppose placing them in a cool and dry place (or in the fridge?) is the first thing anyone would do, but is there anything more efficient, or is there simply no point in trying to preserve them longer?

Mr Bigmem likes this.
  2. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

Why do you need to preserve them, what problems have you had? Is it splitting?
    I've only got one TOBS cream and not had a problems with that.

3. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

If you're worried about creams going off - buy only samples. :D

p.b likes this.
  4. SeanC

SeanC Über Member

The main thing is not to introduce extra water as it alters the PH making them susceptible to going rancid. Introduce the cream to the wet brush rather than the other way around.

scarface likes this.
  5. Good info. I have several creams and using once a week, a big tub will last a year.

What is the life of shaving cream?? So far, no problems with odor or texture changes.

6. SeanC

SeanC Über Member

Unused, I don't think there is a specific limit, although they can potentially dehydrate a little based on my experience with a pot of TOBS which I left lying around for a couple of years.

As for used creams, I've just checked a few pots and tubes which I have immediately to hand for the manufacturers guidance:
    • TOBS, Herbs of Bulgaria, Nivea, Palmolive, Edwin Jagger - 12 months
    • DR Harris, Ebsjerg - Nothing specified
    Based on typical manufacturers caution along the lines of dry clean only when not strictly necessary, I guess that could probably be pushed further if you don't add further water and keep the lid on in a cool place

Batch300 likes this.
  7. scarface

No, I haven't had any problems so far, but as far as I know the creams don't have the same lifespan as soaps, and I wouldn't like to get to the point of finding out one of the expensive (or hard to find) ones has gone bad...

wazza likes this.
  8. scarface

To avoid any misinterpretations, I'm not talking about any creams that can one way or another be found. I'm talking about those creams that mostly come from the USA and since shipping costs are outrageously high, one usually tries to order as many products as possible.
    An additional point is that the majority of high end creams comes without a sealing paper film, and therefore one can't specify its expiration date accurately.

9. flip-68

flip-68 Über Member

i wouldn't worry too much - i have creams sat in their tubes in a cupboard for 3 or 4 years now and the ones i have used remain operational. i have put others into a container and they have dried into a soap consistancy.