Type of skin

G_man

Forum GOD!
Hi all,

I have observed an interesting feature (or bug?) of my skin. If I am to drag a dry razor without a blade inserted over my dry skin (no lather or water or anything), the razor would glide nicely over my upper part - that is chin, cheeks moustache area and the sides of my neck. But it would drag and skip over my neck in the adam's apple area and around. And this is exactly the part of the are, that is troublesome when shaving!
From this I would conclude, that my skin is of a different "type" in that part and this is what causes me problems.

Do you notice the same correlation with your skin? Would maybe an pre-shave oil treatment or something like that mitigate that difference I wander..?

G_man

Forum GOD!
I just want to add, that the same difference can be felt with fingers, but is a lot more pronounced with dragging razor across my face.

R181

Grumpy old man
I think it is just the direction in which your whiskers grow that you are seeing/feeling. For the most part your whiskers seem to be growing north to south except the part on the Adam's Apple area which is likely growing south to north. That means you are gowing ATG in that area. Google beard mapping.

Bobr

G_man

Forum GOD!
I think it is just the direction in which your whiskers grow that you are seeing/feeling. For the most part your whiskers seem to be growing north to south except the part on the Adam's Apple area which is likely growing south to north. That means you are gowing ATG in that area. Google beard mapping.

Bobr
My whiskers on my neck grow north to south, but turn left and right respectively as I move sideways from Adam's apple (gradually on the right side and quite extremely on the left side). I know the direction very well, so this is not the reason. I can feel the skin being different to the touch, but this is very pronounced when dragging a razor across, hence my observation. And thus I believe that razor will drag just a little bit even when great lather is applied and technique done properly. All this would result in me having to do only two WTG passes on my neck when shaving daily! Otherwise I would end up with irritation on that particular area.

R181

Grumpy old man
My whiskers on my neck grow north to south, but turn left and right respectively as I move sideways from Adam's apple (gradually on the right side and quite extremely on the left side). I know the direction very well, so this is not the reason. I can feel the skin being different to the touch, but this is very pronounced when dragging a razor across, hence my observation. And thus I believe that razor will drag just a little bit even when great lather is applied and technique done properly. All this would result in me having to do only two WTG passes on my neck when shaving daily! Otherwise I would end up with irritation on that particular area.
OK, so it is your skin then after all. Never heard of that before but there is always a first time. Good luck finding a solution if it is a problem.

Bob

D

Deleted member 1881

There's a nice trick you can do, just make half like you shallow, hold it right there and the Adam's apple will disappear, flattening the area for the razor to catch the hair properly.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
It always amazes me that in the history of mankind’s shaving - there’s always a new problem. I guess that’s why Gillette keep coming up with new solutions.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Angle and pressure are the only variables apart from skin conditioning that comes to mind.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
Skin stretching, zero pressure on the blade. It evens out skin texture, and prevent small folds which would lead to irritation. Barbers have been doing it forever to shave people with every type of skin available. You’re unique, just like everybody else!