TOBS shaving creams

adrian ivanovici

Forum GOD!
I'm new to wet shaving. I have always used a DE razor, but never did the brush and used Barbasol shaving cream. I bought a new DE razor and fell into it. I did some light research and everyone was talking up TOBS. I bought the Cedarwood as my first shaving soap. I had some okay shaves, but mostly bad shaves. Later I bought Proraso Sandalwood since it was on sale. I tried it a couple days ago and it was substantially different. It was very slick and seemed to have some solid cushion, residual cushion as well.

Today I went back to the Cedarwood and I noticed it was not slick at all. I felt it had very little cushion. In fact, I cleared up my razor burn and a shave with Proraso didn't aggravate it at all, but the Cedarwood brought it all back in full force.

With my little experience, I agree with you.
You might experience rash from the oills/fragrance of the cedar ToBs.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I started this thread 3years ago because of my disappointing experience with Cedarwood and other TOBS creams. I’m disappointed to hear that Cedarwood continues to under perform. My wife gave me a tub of Jermyn St shaving cream for Xmas. I hope it performs better than it did three years ago; stay tuned.

Shaun2

Forum GOD!
I have some remnants of formulation going back 25 years, in zinc tubes (almond and sandalwood). Much better than anything from TOBS that followed. I find more recent versions very much lacking the 'slick', and save for the scent of Mr Taylor, I'm not a fan any longer. Plus the plastic tubes of cream seem to break.

Pedigree

Forum GOD!
I'm sticking with TOBS because of their tradition, that said, I wish they would have found a way to keep their creams as top performers instead of allowing the reformulations to downgrade their quality.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I started this thread 3years ago because of my disappointing experience with Cedarwood and other TOBS creams. I’m disappointed to hear that Cedarwood continues to under perform. My wife gave me a tub of Jermyn St shaving cream for Xmas. I hope it performs better than it did three years ago; stay tuned.
I used the Jermyn St cream this morning and it performed rather well, much better than I remember three years ago. I’ll have to use it several more times, however, before I draw a final conclusion. It’d be shame if it doesn’t live up to my expectations.

Ian5

I love that you got a good shave out of it and you're still all like "I have grave concerns about the future" lol

SeanC

Forum GOD!
That's unfortunate. I remember buying the Cedarwood when it was first released back around 2017/18 and performance was good (like all other TOBS creams at the time)