Pass Around Timeless Razors Pass Around

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I apologise for being quiet with the Timeless over the last week. I've been away with the three .95 plates and smooth cap. I've shaved with each (all with Super Iridium blades) and, so,equation peculiarly, found the OC to be the most comfortable. I didn't like the blade feel and sound of the SB and scalloped plates but found the OC relatively pleasant. This leads me to think that the .68 OC would be my Goldilocks option. I'll play around with the .68 Sc and .95 OC this week before contacting the next-in-line. At this point, I don't intend to purchase a Timeless but I'm definitely enjoying (and making very good use of) this generous lending razor. Brilliant stuff as ever, ATG!

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Another shave with the 0.68 Scalloped head. A close shave but I'm not convinced that I find it all that comfortable. Two weepers. This still leads to think that thr one plate I'd be most interested in trying is the 0.68 Open Comb. As it is, I'm ready to chalk Timless off the list.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
OK, final shave on the Timeless. I reckon my preferences go 0.95 OC > 0.68 Sc > 0.95 SB > 0.95 Sc. This is interesting for two reasons. 1) I'd gone off open comb razors for a couple of years previous to this Pass Around and, due to this experience, I've ordered a Blackbird OC plate. 2) I typically favour razors with milder exposures.

I would probably want to borrow a 0.68 OC before ordering a Timeless because I have not fallen for this razor. It's a touch bitey in use and fairly ugly on the eye. Still, I've had a couple of stellar shaves with the 0.68 Sc and 0.95 OC and I can fully see why the Timeless is the pinnacle of modern DE razors for some.

I'll put the components through an ultrasonic bath and maybe even get the polish out before sending on tomorrow or Saturday morning.

Bizzyberry

Forum GOD!
The Timeless arrived this morning and as I had not yet shaved it gave me the chance to try it out.

sotd 5th aug.JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Timeless 0.95 OC base plate with scalloped cap
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (Lodz) (#1)
Brush: Maseto 30mm 2 band finest fan shape
Soap: Czech & Speake - Oxford and Cambridge
AS: Finest - Platinum

I was very impressed by the hefty weight of all the razor parts and the quality, these razors are beautifully made. The only problem I had was which plate/cap combination to use. Before it arrived I had it in mind that I would start with the 0.68 scalloped plate and smooth cap, but then I thought what would I buy if I was just going to get one razor. The most likely choice for me based on what I have read and seen on the Timeless website is the 0.95 open comb plate and the scalloped cap. This is because I like an open comb razor, one of my favourite DE razors is the Fatip and I just think the scalloped cap looks great. I would also have gone for the shorter handle as I don't mind shorter handles. So that was it decided, and what a result, I probably could have stopped at two passes it was that efficient, as there were no nicks or weepers I decided to go for a final ATG pass.

That was probably the best DE shave I have ever had. It was certainly the closest.

I am looking forward to trying the rest of the plates and the smooth cap, and the larger handle. A big thanks to all who made this pass around possible.

Last edited:

ajc347

Forum GOD!
Would it be possible for me to be added to the list please, Nishy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bizzyberry

Forum GOD!
Monday 7th Aug 2017

sotd 7th Aug.JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Timeless 0.68 scalloped base plate with scalloped cap
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (Lodz) (#2)
Soap: Mon Savon
AS: Nivea soothing balm

After my shave with the Timeless 0.95 OC plate on Saturday night, the shave was so close it was not worth shaving on Sunday morning, so I decided to leave the next shave until Today. Another close shave but it did feel a bit uncomfortable compared to the last shave, no weepers or nicks but it did sting in few places as I shaved, probably too much pressure but it all felt fine post shave. I was not expecting the shave to be as close as the 0.68 is described as mild, it is certainly effective.

Lann

Forum GOD!
Great writeup @Bizzyberry I love the .68 myself as it gives me an efficient and very smooth shave. I have the OC and Scalloped baseplates and hoping to add a solidguard at some point too.

Lann

Forum GOD!
To me personally there is very little difference in the quality of the shave given by both styles of base plate @Bizzyberry.
If pushed to choose however, my preference is for the open comb with smooth cap. Why? Because I use that set up more than the scalloped base and cap because it feels like it collects more lather also, I like the way that set up looks on my Plaid handle lol. That said my scalloped base plate and cap shaves well and looks good on the Barberpole handle lol.

Bizzyberry

Forum GOD!
To me personally there is very little difference in the quality of the shave given by both styles of base plate @Bizzyberry.
If pushed to choose however, my preference is for the open comb with smooth cap. Why? Because I use that set up more than the scalloped base and cap because it feels like it collects more lather also, I like the way that set up looks on my Plaid handle lol. That said my scalloped base plate and cap shaves well and looks good on the Barberpole handle lol.
Thanks that is much appreciated, I am very impressed with the Timeless so far after just two shaves but if I ever get one it will likely be one plate, one cap and handle. Well to start with........

Bizzyberry

Forum GOD!
Tuesday 8th August 2017

sotd 8th Aug.JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Charcoal Face Wash and Proraso Green
Razor: Timeless 0.95 scalloped base plate with scalloped cap
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (Lodz) (#3)
Soap: Czech & Speake - Oxford & Cambridge

Another shave with the Timeless, this time with the 0.95 scalloped base plate, and another nice close shave, I did manage one small weeper today, I am surprised that this is the first considering how close the Timeless shaves. A little bit of irritation post shave but it faded very quickly.

Bizzyberry

Forum GOD!
Wednesday 9th August 2017

sotd 9th Aug.JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Charcoal Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Timeless 0.95 straight base plate with scalloped cap
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (Lodz) (#4)

Today's shave with the Timeless was much like the previous shaves, but I did manage two minor weepers this time, not sure if this is the effect of the straight bar, my technique or the Polsilver being on it's way out. Possibly not the blade as apart from the minor weepers it was still smooth and close. I will change the blade out for the next shave just in case. I wanted to use one of my favourite blades to try out the Timeless but I also wanted to use the same blade type for each configuration of the Timeless I would get to try, now I am wishing I used an Astra SP, so cheap and readily available I could have used a new blade each shave.

Bizzyberry

Forum GOD!
Thursday 10th August 2017
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Charcoal Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Timeless 0.95 straight base plate with smooth cap
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (Lodz) (#1)
AS: None

I have now shaved with all the 0.95 base plates and the 0.68 scalloped using the scalloped cap, today was my first use of the smooth cap. Now I don't know if it was the smooth cap or just a new blade but today was the best shave yet from the Timeless.