The Olympic Games - Rio 2016

Gordy

Legendary Member
I watched it and the women's. Quite a bit I thought riders should have been pulled up on but weren't. I thought at first when I saw Cavenish make that move, that he wasn't aware of the Korean rider but on the replay, he definitely was. Dirty move that.

Gordy

Legendary Member
Fantastic results for Trott and Kenny last night, I watched the whole lot. Mind boggling that there's ten gold medals between the two of them and probably many more to come.

chrisbd

Forum GOD!
Magnificent performance! Ashamed of my earlier doubt of reaching the medal target. Shed loads of gold medals and the overall target exceeded with yet more to come. Trust the Aussies, with a few others, to cast doubt as to how this was achieved, sense of sportsmanship rushing to the fore. Liked Dave Brailsford's response that basically Team GB raised their game after the World Championships, others hadn't.

I share Redd's dream.

Regards,
Chris

Gordy

Legendary Member
The boxing has been a farce though, and today's arrest of Patrick Hickey hasn't improved things for the Irish.

jb7

Bloke
The boxing has been a farce though, and today's arrest of Patrick Hickey hasn't improved things for the Irish.
I heard his missus tried told the authorities he had gone back to Ireland and they found him in the nip hiding inside a wardrobe :roflmao:

chrisbd

Forum GOD!
The IOC has since dropped a number of officials following this travesty yet they're allowing the results of bouts fought to date to stand. Don't understand that, they're dismissed for their abysmal decisions but those results won't be changed.

Patrick Hickey's arrest is indicative of deep problems in the organisation and abuse of privilege.

The undeniable fact is that tickets are too expensive for locals to afford, especially to watch events in which they have no national interest, hence the high number of empty seats.

Regards,
Chris

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Tonight's fare is pretty boring for me - Handball, Basketball and Volleyball all seem to be the tall men's events - but I suppose with gymnastics and diving being basically for shortarses they deserve something. Can't help thinking that handball looks like one of those games your devised on snowy afternoons when you couldn't go outside so the time was spent in the gym with a ball of rags and some gaffer tape.

Gordy

Legendary Member
Totally disagree with the Joe Joyce result. Disgraceful judging, Joyce clearly had the second and third round.

Wayne

Forum Sod
In terms of medals won then everyone in the UK can hail the games a success. In terms of bums on seats and the legacy left for the Brazilian people then it is anything but a success. They cannot afford to properly run the Paralympics probably due to the siphoning off of much of the cash raised allegedly. I was flabbergasted when I heard someone say 'After the success of a South American countries games I think it's time to give the games to Africa'.
Yep, that'll work, the only continent more corrupt and poverty stricken than South America. I bet they are rubbing their hands together in anticipation already.