The alternative SE shim

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
Its Not the Blade Width..The Other Main Issue is that the Stropping Blades are Far more Rigid...The other thing is that they were Not Designed for a Multi Facet Crappy Factory Edge..These Razors Shave Great with Stropping Blades..Problem is Most Folks Cant get them Sharp..Another Problem is that Stropping Handles are Hard to Find although One can be made..:p:

Auto Stroppers are a Gimmick..They Put so Much Pressure on the Blade & Ruin the Edge..Folks think they are a Short Cut..They are Not..Believe it or Not it takes a Subtle Skill to Sharpen & Maintain these Stropping Blades..:cool:

Billy
Sure does. The Kriss Kross auto stropper that I refitted looks good (It'd make a hipster a neat paperweight), but even when I lowered the leather a few milimeters to take some pressure off, it messed up the angle. Folk that use it on the highest setting, where it's so tight to the leather it almost squeaks, are rounding out the edge, maybe even bending it, then as the pressure gets lighter, it strops the edge back to where it was in the first place - just stupid waste of time.

The push/pull Ever Ready stropper I have is better (specially with the thinner leather I put in it, much thinner than the cat's tail it came with), but not as good as the handle I made . I made a handle that you just slot the blade in to (based on the photo of your original). It runs along a sortof home-made guide rail, which keeps the pressure and angle correct whether it's on a Balsa Crox / FroX strop or a bit of leather , but using that took about a dozen go's before I got it "acceptable", & double that before it got good - the scratch pattern lined up like tin soldiers. The current Gem blades are a captive market though - as far as I know Dorco are the only other company that make a single edge blade for shaving, and they're even more shite than the Personna ones.