1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That's shellfish off the menu for me

Discussion in 'ATG Cafe' started by Fox, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

2. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

Oh yes I would!
    The mussels where from beaches in Kent and not from farms in Scotland or where I would try to source my mussels from.
    From the article:
    On top of that the plastic in the mussels will most likely go into my mouth and then out the other end.
    And mussels are the most delicious food known to mankind, so I refuse to abstain - my personal choice.
    Having said all that - the amount of plastic we dump into the oceans is a bloody disgrace. Plastic microbeads in toothpaste and cosmetics? Mental!

There is an 'R' in October and I haven't had mussels in quite a few months... bring them on....

3. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

What does the R thing mean? I have never heard of this saying before.

Yes I agree that the amount of dumped plastic is a disgrace and hopefully the spread of news like this will bring about awareness and the stop to it.

4. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

http://www.thekitchn.com/fact-or-fiction-following-the-120217
    I have eaten mussels any month of the year... I used to have mussels at my favourite restaurant at least once a week for quite a few years. Washed down with a good few Belgian beers. Luckily I moved away from that expensive habit...

Fox likes this.
  5. Barry1963

Barry1963 Veteran

Moules et Frites with a couple of beers. I'm with Andreas!

efsk, Fox and sɐǝɹpu∀ like this.
  6. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

Well I never knew this, most interesting.

You just took me back to the Summer nights sitting outside the poissonnerie foyenne in Rue Victor Hugo in a lovely little medieval town called Sainte-Foy-la-Grande, we would eat Moules et Frites with a few beers, they were good times.

May just have to get some of them farmed mussels in.

Any tips on cooking them guys?

Mrchick and Barry1963 like this.
  7. Barry1963

Barry1963 Veteran

That sounds just perfect.
    Unfortunately, although I'm a very good eater, I'm a terrible cook. So hopefully Andreas will have donned an apron at some point.

Fox likes this.
  8. chris.hale

chris.hale Legendary Member

IMO the fact that God made shellfish look like bogeys, encased them in tough, difficult to open shells, and then for good measure dropped them down into the depths of the oceans is a good indication that we're not meant to eat them. :wink:

bandito, Rowlers, Fox and 3 others like this.
  9. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

The most difficult bit about cooking mussels is the prep.
    I require at least a kilo of plastic-free mussels for myself, half a kilo is minimum per person...
    Brush mussels under running water - remove all the beards, discard any mussels with broken shells.
    Any mussels that don't close when you do this - DISCARD - they're dead and not good for you.
    Take a large pot, add half an inch of any liquid you like the sound of - white wine with some finely chopped onions, a bay leaf, some herbs, maybe butter, for something resembling Moules Marinière, Add chilies for some kick, use a curry sauce, whatever you fancy. Mustard sauce is lovely, maybe a splash of Pernod.
    Bring to the boil, add prepared mussels and close with lid. As soon as the mussels have opened, they are ready. This only takes a few minutes. Do not cook for 10 minutes unless you like tiny, tasteless rubber balls. As soon as they open up - they are done.
    Remove from pot and put in bowls. Any mussels that have not opened - DISCARD - they are dead and not good for you. Pour over sauce, sprinkle with some chopped parsley or coriander - or don't...
    Serve with Frites or some rustic, crusty bread to mop up the sauce. Mussels are not eaten with knife and fork - they come with their own cutlery - an empty mussel shell - half a shell as a spoon. Get your hands dirty.
    Have a glass of wine with that or - even better - a lovely Belgian beer (you can cook the mussels in beer as well)
    I so need some mussels now, but after moving house I have no idea which mystery box contains a large pot with lid...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    efsk, missingskin, Fox and 2 others like this.
  10. Mrchick

Mrchick Handsome Avatar

Sounds wonderful! I think I’ll buy some mussels this weekend

Fox likes this.
  11. Lann

Lann Guru

This thread is making me hungry!!!

Fox likes this.
  12. Barry1963

Barry1963 Veteran

Goodness. How could anyone resist?

efsk likes this.
  13. DevonStan

DevonStan Guru

[QUOTE

You just took me back to the Summer nights sitting outside the poissonnerie foyenne in Rue Victor Hugo in a lovely little medieval town called Sainte-Foy-la-Grande, we would eat Moules et Frites with a few beers, they were good times.

[/QUOTE]

Ah yes... and I too am taken to another place .......

The pre-packed fish section at Asda in Newton Abbot .... drop a pack of imported mussels in to the trolley (£1.60 as I recall) then sashay through the checkout in a smart but casual kind of manner (making sure they refund the cost of the parking ticket, of course) ... then away home in the Hyundai where they're stashed in the fridge ready to be scoffed at a later date whilst watching something on the box that the Mrs. will have recorded previously - ( by the way, yes, the whole pack - with a generous dose of vinegar from the pickled onion jar.)

Of course, as a special treat now and again a slice of bread and butter will add that little extra something. And if it's a REALLY special occasion then it'll be the Sainsbury's Extra Special Multiseed loaf, cut in to thick slices, which, along with the Crabsticks with Marie Rose sauce (from the same source), will delight the taste buds to a point hitherto undiscovered.

Bloody 'ell, we know how to live down the high life down here ...

(Didn't know about the plastic ball thingy but I suspect I'll carry on regardless.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Nishy, p.b, Mrchick and 2 others like this.
  14. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

Ah yes! but then he made us clever enough to catch them and eat them. Catch 22 I would say. :wink:

chris.hale and Barry1963 like this.
  15. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

Yes that's it Mussels for me this weekend it is then. I may swap the onions for garlic though. :okay:

efsk and Barry1963 like this.