1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thäter 2 band?

Discussion in 'Shaving Brushes' started by Blackmass, May 18, 2017.

1. Blackmass

Blackmass Veteran

I’m been thinking of going for a Thäter 2 band for a while now. I already own a 3 band and love it. Ideally want an 4125/3 in ivory.

Just wanted to know if anyone has owned the 2 and 3 Band brushes and could give your thoughts on the difference between the two. Or if you own a 2 Band, what are your thoughts?

Cheers
    Rob

2. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Über Member

I had a 3 band, thought it too dense with too much backbone

Blackmass likes this.
  3. halvor

halvor Royal Member

I have the TSN LE of this year, yellow/butterscotch beehive with 2-band bulb, but can't say how this knot compares to the regular offerings.. Or, I would have to look that up. Loft is about the same as regular 26mm knots, so it's only a question of density I suppose.

Blackmass likes this.
  4. Quique

Quique Veteran

zealshaver, MPH and Blackmass like this.
  5. Dipesh

Dipesh Veteran Staff Member

I find them very similar to shavemacs in quality.

I love the bulbs, fans are too high in loft for me.

Knots are very well balanced in density and back bone. Can't go wrong. 2 band is my favoured option as it has a touch more backbone but both are great.

Overall great brush but if you want to customise then shavemac is the way forward.

Blackmass likes this.
  6. Slant_Fan

Slant_Fan Senior Member

I've had maybe 4 or 5 two bands in the futile quest to find one that was scrtichy. Bulbs, fans, short loft and medium 23 to larger 26mm knots. Sold all of them. If you want scritch go with a Shavemac DO-1 two band. If you like gel tips Thater is a great brush. IMHO.

Blackmass likes this.
  7. Blackmass

Blackmass Veteran

Obviously brushes are very subjective with what we look for and what we would say is too dense or too much or too little backbone.

What are your favorite brushes? Just so I have got something to compare with.

8. Blackmass

Blackmass Veteran

Now there's an idea.:D

Quique likes this.
  9. Blackmass

Blackmass Veteran

I have two custom shavemacs, a 2 band silvertip and a Unique knot.
    I prefer the Thater to either one. I would say the standard 2 band shavemac feels very similar to my Thater. The Thater has better flow through but I prefer the backbone of the shavemac.
    Hence why I'm interested in the 2 band Thater.

Dipesh likes this.
  10. Blackmass

Blackmass Veteran

The D01 is one I'd like to try. Not fused about scritch TBH.
    I live the cloud like softness of the Thater.

11. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Über Member

The softest tips, cloud like are my faves
    Romera and Brad Sears Manchurians

Blackmass likes this.
  12. Blackmass

Blackmass Veteran

I've only got one Romera and love it. I'd really like to own more but we know how hard that can be.

I've briefly look into the Brad Sears brushes but I'll take a closer look if you are mentioning them in the same sentence as the Romera brushes.
    Thank you.

Holyzeus likes this.
  13. Dipesh

Dipesh Veteran Staff Member

It would depend on loft. In my experience the hair quality and knot construction is very similar with both brands. Shorter loft effects flow. That's standard two bands though. D01 is a different beast altogether.

Blackmass likes this.
  14. Looney12345

Looney12345 Veteran

@Nishy

Anyone actually know what D01 stands for?

Blackmass likes this.
  15. JamieM

JamieM Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales

I've owned the Thater 2 band the loft is set to high the performance falls way below the Shavemac two band Silvertip don't go there, buy the Shavemac two band Silvertip 26mm knot set at 48mm perfect.

Blackmass likes this.