Tattoo's? anyone

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
My nephew wanted to get a Tattoo around his forearm, of two continuous black lines.
Too symbolise the lose of his granny and granddad.
I told him to expect a decent amount of discomfort and pain, Poor bugger was in agony.
But held on in there. I am getting some new ink on Friday but I'm looking forward to it.
It will be musical themed with a Treble clef.

SensitiveGuy

Veteran
Hmmm, I've seen a fair few tattoo's cause neurological fascilitation of someone core, 'unexplained' shoulder and hip issues not long after.
I was tempted once, but I've enough scars wreaking havoc on me, so decided not to in the end.
Have seen some amazing artwork over the years though.

S

Steve Bowles

Since I was never in the Navy, or been employed as a carnival worker, I am tattoo-free. The thought of a 67 year-old man getting a tattoo is disturbing on so many levels.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I've ten tattoos on my arms. Nothing that badly painful really, top inner arm smarted a bit, I've a full band there. May seem strange to non tattooed people but the buzz of a new tattoo is addictive.

After care is the key I always use nappy rash cream, Bapanthen, last few I've had done had no scabbing at all.

I know there are the tattoo haters, I've experienced some of that, each to their own.

bakerbarber

Forum GOD!
I have one that I got about 15 years ago a day or two after my mom passed. I've put on some weight since then and my once smaller sized tattoo is down right tiny now. It looks a bit out of proportion I think but my wife insists it's not.

I have been thinking about getting another one to add to, or balance out, the one I have.

I almost got another one when my dad died a couple of years ago but couldn't find one that spoke to me at the time. If that makes sense.

I often forget I have it to be honest. People who don't know I have one are usually very surprised when they find out or see it for the first time. It's high on my arm and unless I'm shirtless or wearing a thin white shirt it's not visible.

I actually told the wife the other day in fact that I was getting another tattoo soon. I just don't want one that isn't meaningful though. I know people who do get them whenever they have extra money or on a whim. If I'm going to have a mark for the rest of my life I want one that I can be proud of.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Love tattoos, and have a couple, just tribal stuff on upper arms and "Family, Wife, Son, Daughter" in large Chinese lettering on my back.
Would love a large Koi, dragon, tiger or something to come from my upper back and over my shoulder to join with my other, just can't justify the £100s it would cost!

R181

Grumpy old man
Was in the Navy and never got drunk enough to get one. :D Have to admit there are some pretty fantastic works of tattoo art out there. Tell you what though, it is going to be quite a sight in the nursing homes a few years from now with all the old saggy bodies and tattoos to match. :eek:

Bob

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
That's what they told you it said. :wink:
I've the kids names in Chinese tattoos. Funny thing happened, I investigated heavily before I had mine done, I even paid for a translation. I went into the Tattoo place, showed him what I wanted. The Tatto artist took one look and said it doesn't say that, I have my own guy I use that does this for me. He had no real knowledge himself. He said well ok but it's not my fault if it's wrong.

A Short time later I went to the opticians for my annual check. The young Chinese Optician noticed them. She asked to have a look and said these are very good, wait a minute, "Samuel" & Lily-May" which is spot on. She then went on to explain that which I knew, the Lily-May translates direct and very easy to translate. Samuel though has no direct translation, one character turns the others in to a phonetic sounds making it Samuel. Now at the time Both weren't even registered with the optician.

LeeBot

Forum GOD!
It's never really appealed to me - I'd hate to be stuck with a tattoo I regret! A personal and unique tattoo is a very interesting thing to see. I must admit though I do get the slightly sniffy "rolling-my-eyes" feeling when I see a group of blokes with near identical tattoos though. Not my body though so absolutely no reason for me to be judgemental or even come close to being slightly arsed about it.

@Northam Saint seems to have the right idea with his Chinese tattoo though. I've seen quite a few poorly spelled English language tats so quite why a lot of people are willing to believe without question that their local tattooist has a grasp of the nuances of Mandarin is really quite peculiar. That said, the relatively straightforward male/female/formal/informal shenanigans of French are enough to defeat me so perhaps I'd best not throw stones in the glasshouse.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
It's never really appealed to me - I'd hate to be stuck with a tattoo I regret! A personal and unique tattoo is a very interesting thing to see. I must admit though I do get the slightly sniffy "rolling-my-eyes" feeling when I see a group of blokes with near identical tattoos though. Not my body though so absolutely no reason for me to be judgemental or even come close to being slightly arsed about it.

@Northam Saint seems to have the right idea with his Chinese tattoo though. I've seen quite a few poorly spelled English language tats so quite why a lot of people are willing to believe without question that their local tattooist has a grasp of the nuances of Mandarin is really quite peculiar. That said, the relatively straightforward male/female/formal/informal shenanigans of French are enough to defeat me so perhaps I'd best not throw stones in the glasshouse.
Yes it was well worth investigating first and turned out good, especially when the optician cast her eye over it. I get the odd joke, "is that when your pi$$ed and go into the Chinese for sweet and sour pork !!

I've experienced some judgemental behaviour with regards to mine, even a job where on starting they notice the tattoos I had and explained how it was "going to be a problem" as they had a no tattoo policy. This was in a high special needs school, and was a lesson learnt to confess to my tattoo's before starting. I resigned after they started making life difficult, am I bothered or was I ever ? No, turned out well in the end, life has a way of leading you in different directions, and this was just one of those moments. Funnily though in other schools, Scouting and mental health no one has been at all bothered. My current job they even looked quizzical when I told them, and they said as long as it was nothing racist etc it was of no concern.

I work with 16-18 year olds and never ever recommend them having a tattoo. They ask why not as I've so many, my explanation is that job wise it can I admit be an interview killer and they have many years ahead of them. On the pro side I'd always advocate a position where it can be covered. Design wise, decide what you want, wait six months or so and ask yourself do I still like it. Top tip too, never EVER ago based on a cheap tattoo, investigate your artist, check out their work. My full upper arm band makes them all think I'm hard as "it hurts around there" !