1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SR's that have it in for you

Discussion in 'Straight Razors (SR)' started by Wayne, May 17, 2017.

1. Wayne

Wayne Bestest forum member.

I have an SR that seems to have it in for me. :cursing: I luckily have only nicked myself twice but both have been with the same razor my Solingen Fasherbeit. It's a right bugger. Keen as mustard. Thanks to her tonight I look like Col von Klinkenstien . A nice little nick on the cheek. Not painful at all and thankfully it just got the surface so no drama. A bit of claret but it soon stopped. If you do it again it's the BST for you my girl :cry:

Spyder, 2hot 2trot and Dr Watson like this.
  2. Godfather

Godfather Forum GOD!

Wayne, my Cape razor was a wee bit like that when I first started using it. 2 minor cuts but then I tamed it by putting a natural edge on and now it is I who am the master (he says with an asthmatic voice). Well sort of master (think of Mr Bean!)

captain_hx, 2hot 2trot and Wayne like this.
  3. JamieM

JamieM Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales

I did once own a razor it bit me everytime I used it a Maxotte Solingen extra hollow spike point it was absolutely lethal I sold it.

Razor Restore 1 (135).jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  4. Dr Watson

Dr Watson Legendary Member

Only once done myself a mischief with a SR. A combination of factors lead up to it, new razor fresh off the hone, sub-par lather and worst of all I was rushing to go out... Combine these and ouch! It wasn't so much a cut but more of a gouge, this particular razor had a square heel which was a first for me, it dug in just above the left corner of my mouth and bled like a mother******! Foolishly (in hindsight) I applied a styptic match which although stemmed the blood flow, guaranteed the wound would forever leave a crater on my otherwise beautiful mug :cry:

Suffice to say I sold it toot sweet.

5. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

The only ones that gave me trouble were full hollow or extra full hollow spike point razors. That is until I was more careful using them by being vigilant on where the spike was and what it was doing at all times. They still keep me on my toes when shaving with them but rarely bite. No, I do not mute spike point razors then you might as well just go ahead and use a round point. Mind you they say dueling scars are making comeback as the mark of a man. :D

Bob

Fox, JamieM, 2hot 2trot and 2 others like this.
  6. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

I know nothing about SR's so do excuse my question if it's a silly one. Can honing a SR's cutting edge to a slightly different angle stop this from happening?

@R181 is this what you mean by "muting" a spike point razor?

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  7. JamieM

No not honing the razor just the very point of the spike square nose slightly mute which means take away the very tip so it's round instead of square, you can barely notice this most if not all Japanese razors are made this way.

R181 likes this.
  8. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

Good question and not silly at all. Jamie's answer was spot on.

Bob

JamieM likes this.
  9. Wayne

Wayne Bestest forum member.

I do not fancy trying a square point razor with a 'live' tip. They look flipping lethal. I'd have to kill the very point so for now I'm happier with round tips but one day I'll have a square point. They do look lovely especially the Japanese ones.

10. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

That is likely why most people would recommend a round tip for beginners, just one less thing to worry about. Once you truly get the hang of shaving with a straight razor square point razors are not that bad at all.

Bob

Wayne likes this.
  11. Looney12345

Looney12345 Forum GOD!

I'm sure I'll end up trying one but I do question why... What does a square point bring to the shave (other than danger) to aid the shave?

JamieM and Wayne like this.
  12. JamieM

It's extremely accurate especially for sideburns just under your nose and any Manscaping, all my razors are square points I just love them.:)

R181 likes this.
  13. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

For me they bring nothing to the shave as I have a stache so the advantages Jamie posted do not really hold true for me. I can shave just as well with any other point style but I do like a challenge, on occasion, and the square point unmuted provides that.

Bob

Looney12345 and JamieM like this.
  14. Looney12345

Looney12345 Forum GOD!

Sorry for the stupid question Jamie, but why it is more accurate than a round point?

15. JamieM

Olly the square edge allows more accuracy allowing you to pin point even single hairs if you so want, with a round point the the round point proceeds the actual cutting edge so that's something you have to account for when using the razor, but as Bob pointed out sometimes it's just down to taste personally I like the look of a square point over a round point and the reason that I only use that style of razor.

Mrchick likes this.