SOTD Saturday 2nd December 2017 - Friday 8th December 2017

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
Very cool..I bet that razor has a few stories to tell..
Here is a better picture of it before the added "Haunting effect". It gives better clarity.
SOTD 021217 2.jpg

Both of my parents worked at this Asylum. I remember going there in my youth to meet my parents after school and I can assure you it was not a place I would want to visit in the dark. :eek:
I did actually work there for one week on work placement when I was in my last year of school. I worked as a porter.
There were many locked wards with long straight domed and dark tiled corridors.

Some patients were extremely dangerous characters shall we say.

Last edited:

Str8_Shaver

Forum GOD!
Prep: Hot towel
Pre shave: Proraso
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium
Brush: 'El Monstruo' (Romera Manchurian 30/50 Fan)
Soap: Shaving Time Co: Broadside
Post: Cold water rinse / Witch Hazel / Wholly Kaw: Cuero Oscuro Aftershave Toner

what an absolutely majestic shave... the Merkur 34C HD/Polsilver combo is quite simply sublime, and the Shaving Time Co: Broadside, being made by Lather Bros, is quite simply a stellar soap, as you'd expect.... yeah, what a fantastic start to my weekend.

Here is a better picture of it before the added "Haunting effect". It gives better clarity.
View attachment 21448

Both of my parents worked at this Asylum. I remember going there in my youth to meet my parents after school and I can assure you it was not a place I would want to visit in the dark. :eek:

Wow ! Fascinating stuff.. thanks for posting.

halvor

a most elusive fish
View attachment 21448

Cool! Reminds me of when I went paintball shooting in an old asylum (until the police threw us out...) — eerie and adrenaline inducing!

So what’s the deal with the key, then? Surely the blade needs to be exposed to some extent for a razor to work, so it can’t be a locking mechanism?

halvor

a most elusive fish
View attachment 21428

5th use of a rather large sample of Grooming Dept Mallard, kindly sent by @halvor (thank you!) and very impressed. There's something about @groomingdept soaps, both vegan and duck fat + tallow, that leaves my face feeling so clean and fresh - I love it. However, I like both the vegan and tallow equally and will be sticking to using up my Basique before ordering anymore.
My pleasure! Mallard doesn’t contain (beef) tallow, though, AFAIK, only duck fat.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Natural Ireland Shaving Soap
B400 Finest
Polished SS General
Proline [3]
Quorum AS
Quorum EdT
Bulldog Moisturiser

Whilst the photo shows the Stout and Seaweed scented soap, I simply could not use it, the scent is absolutely VILE :sick::sick::sick:
I then tried the seaweed scented version, but that too, whilst not quite as disgusting as the Stout and seaweed version, it is still pretty damn rank. So onto the Natural version it was.
And it is a pretty decent shave soap indeed! Nice cushion and plenty slick enough. Decent post shave skin too. BUT i much prefer a scented soap so this natural version is not something I would buy.
The final results are that I am nicely clean shaven, but I am now noticing a little bit of post shave skin tightness. I'll need another application of moisturiser to sort things out.