1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single edge blade longevity.

Discussion in 'Single Edge Blades' started by Chico Winterton, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Chico Winterton

Chico Winterton Partisan

Now I an very new to this single edge mullarky but now I seem to have got my head around the angle I'm thinking that longevity is not what I thought it might be.

With DE I get 2 shaves from a blade, 3 or 4 with a Permasharp; I was expecting 5 or six from a single edge (not quite sure why) but it seems to be 2 for SE's as well. So far I've only used the Feather Pro and the Kai Pro touch. Prep/soaps etc are all good so am I expecting too much out of SE's?

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

When I use a DE, I use a reasonably priced blade once and then bin it. If you want longevity,.. use a Str8 razor.

N_Architect and Billyfergie like this.
  3. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

I dont use those sort of SEs but for a Gem stainless blade I get several shaves, compared to 3 from most DEs.

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. UKRob

UKRob Legendary Member

You are in the minority if you are not getting multiple good shaves from Feather and Kai blades. What razor are you using them in? It's not uncommon for people to report double figures - anything up to 20 shaves, which makes me think that your angle is maybe not quite correct. I think it was @Billyfergie who also said that Feather pro blades didn't suit him.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Chico Winterton

Chico Winterton Partisan

As I said I am new to this SE game. I was under the impression most get more than the two shaves from an SE blade so eager to learn what I'm doing wrong.

Asylum RX. I'll play with angles some more now I know I am doing things wrong.My first shave was terrible using too open an angle, changed to a flatter angle and getting good shaves but to the detriment of blade life.

Billyfergie likes this.
  6. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

I do not use that type of SE. I do get about 5/6 shaves out of a Feather blade in a Wolfman OC and about double or better with a Personna GEM stainless steel PTFE coated blade in a GEM SE.

You could try placing the top cap flat on your face with the handle parallel to the floor. Then rotate the handle downward till you just feel the blade on your skin. That should be a good starting angle and adjust to suit from there. Use only the weight of the razor for pressure.

Bob

kypros and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie Forum GOD!

I Do Like the Feather Pro Rob..I Personally Don't get High Numbers of Shaves Out Most SE Blades Including the Pro..I Have Whiskers Like Cast Iron Mind..The Only Blades I got Around 12 Shaves Out of was the Vintage NOS Personna 74s & Personna Twin Injector Blades..:D

Billy

Acer89 likes this.
  8. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Legendary Member

Should get more than that. I get 10-14 from Proguards but don't remind Billy as he says they are blades for women.. :wink:

halvor, Acer89 and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Fairly new to SE myself, I'm on my third shave with a Feather Pro in the Asylum RX. Still going strong. Do you dry the blade after use Chico? Perhaps it is more down to stubble hardness than angles?

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie Forum GOD!

View: https://youtu.be/qYpx2KkDzSg

:woot:

Billy

Acer89, Holyzeus and Lord Fatboy like this.
  11. Lord Fatboy

Lord Fatboy Not a Guru

I'm one & done with DEs & GEMs. I get two shaves out of the Feather SEs & maybe 3 out of the Feather Pro-Guards (if my birth control pills have sufficiently softened my beard). I've heard some guys get 10 plus shave out of the Feather & Kai SEs, but I've never made it beyond 3.

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. Acer89

Acer89 James

Daily shaver here and fairly new to SE shaving. Feather Pro Guards.. hated them. They pulled and tugged from the very first shave whatever razor I placed them in. The standard Feather Pro's are sharp and smooth but can be a little harsh on the first shave but then smooth out. I replace the blade whenever I feel tugging usually after about ten shaves.

SE razors: King Cobra, ATT SE2, The General.

Best SE razor for comfort has to be the General from Colonial razors. Hand down the nicest smoothest shave of the bunch when loaded with a Feather Pro and the best £60 I've ever spent.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Nishy and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Chico Winterton

Chico Winterton Partisan

Well it seems that I may well be doing it almost correctly but I may not get multiple uses fron an SE blade, well not as many as I had presumed.

I will continue to play with angles but as I am getting a good shave I cannot be far off the mark already.

I do have a coarse beard but never thought I was that unusual, a lot of it is grey now so that may account for it.

Billyfergie, Acer89 and Nishy like this.
  14. UKRob

UKRob Legendary Member

I can't find it but someone published analysis of hair types and even the most coarse is nowhere near even soft metals - so I can't see beard type having a massive impact on blade longevity - not to the extent of 20 down to 2 shaves anyway.

Billyfergie and Lord Fatboy like this.
  15. halvor

halvor Forum GOD!

I get a whole lot more than two shaves out of Feather and Kai SE blades; more like double digits I think. But it took a few blades to get to really know them, and during that testing period I probably stuck to three per blade or so, going through a sample pack for the Mongoose (back when that was what everyone talked about. Oh, the memories... :rolleyes: )

Billyfergie and Acer89 like this.