1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show us your vintage soaps

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by Uncle Bertie, Aug 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SeanC

SeanC Über Member

I saw a NOS puck of Floris Rose Geranium up on ebay once Buy It Now. Unsurprisingly it was there one minute and gone the next.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. Phrank

Phrank Senior Member

The weirdest vintage soap I have, which was unused I guess for 40-60 years, and I unsealed it and had a shave with it and it was superb. Was a very nice, full, deep scented clean and fresh scent, thick creamy lather, somewhat reminiscent of Mitchell's Wool Fat, of Scottish Fine Shaving Soap. Was an easy latherer, and made me feel like a King.

Kingsmen Shaving Soap

Kings_Shave_Bowl.JPG Kings_Shave_Bowl2.JPG

rolodave, Bizzyberry and Uncle Bertie like this.
  3. Uncle Bertie

Uncle Bertie Veteran

Wow! I've never seen that before. I try and research some of my vintage soaps, it's kind of fulfilling when you can find an advert for a product you're using that gives you an exact year of manufacture. This is for the aftershave: http://www.scotchandcigarettes.com/kings-men-toiletries/

4. Optometrist

Optometrist Über Member

My vintage trip was fairly short-lived and only one remains. This soap will never leave my collection, not least as it was gifted to me by a very good Spanish friend.
    A wooden bowl of vintage tallow La Toja Manantiales. Not sure exactly of age, but it has to be at least 20 years old.

[​IMG]

Bizzyberry, Redd, Quique and 3 others like this.
  5. pjgh

pjgh Veteran

First shave with my newly acquired Culmak ...

[​IMG]

... which is as expected. While it's not brimming with unobtainium it does have a fair does. Thick, strong lather and a milkiness to the washoff. Lovely!

rolodave, Bizzyberry and Uncle Bertie like this.
  6. Optometrist

Optometrist Über Member

There was a NOS refill of Floris Rose Geranium up for sale on ebay, 2 or 3 weeks ago.

7. Uncle Bertie

Uncle Bertie Veteran

I've just let vintage Dubarry and Yardley soaps get sold to other people on ebay, it helps that I've already got those two but I still feel fairly self controlled.

Whether I can resist bidding on the third soap that is on there is another matter.

Bizzyberry likes this.
  8. Geofnay

Geofnay Member

I let them go too. I was disappointed not to win the Goya Corvette :cry:

9. Uncle Bertie

Uncle Bertie Veteran

I feel your pain, some of these soaps come up so rarely that to miss out is really frustrating.

10. bakerbarber

bakerbarber Senior Member

I'm still waiting for John's review of the Houbigant Fougere Royale.