1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show us your vintage soaps

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by Uncle Bertie, Aug 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Uncle Bertie

Uncle Bertie Legendary Member

I'll show you mine if you show me yours...
    image.jpeg
    From top to bottom, left to right.
    1970s Morny, a piney, foresty scent.
    ? Yardley arrived today, still has a lovely fruity scent.
    1950s Cussons Imperial Leather "Chubby" from a Christmas box set, not much smell left.
    ? Unknown shaving stick grated into Imperial Leather bowl
    1960s Boots Old English Lavender soap by Yardley, not much scent.
    1970s Old Spice, heaven on earth.
    1980s? Palmolive sticks, smell just like modern stuff.
    1980s? Cussons shave stick grated into a Waverley Lavender soap mug, slightly spicy scent.
    1970s Gibbs Sport, French made, clean smell.
    1950s? Gibbs Easy Shave, English made and smells of soap.
    ? Unknown shaving stick smudged together with early OSP sample in a French made soap bowl.
    1940s Dubarry Silkashave in an antique Morny shaving soap bowl, not much scent left.

The only thing these have in common is that they are all superbly lathering and protecting soaps. It really is a pleasure to use these, which is probably down to the tallow. I think though that with all these in my rotation plus a few spares I probably don't need any more vintage soap. I do like finding it though, so this collection may still grow.

Like I said I have a few spares of the Morny, Palmolive and the Gibbs Sport, so if you fancy one for a swap or a sale, let me know?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. chrisbd

chrisbd Forum GOD!

I don't have any (yet), so I'll just admire yours (in a very manly and respectful way).

Regards,
    Chris

3. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

I'll get some snaps tomorrow, but I've got ...

Rolls Razor (1950s?)
    Ever Ready (Stick) (1950s)
    Old Spice (Cup) (1960s? 1970s?) ... same as yours @Uncle Bertie
    Erasmic (1960s? 1970s?)
    Jade East (Cream) (1970s)
    Imperial Leather (Chubby) (1970s?) ... same as yours @Uncle Bertie
    Imperial Leather (Bowl) (1970s) ... same as yours @Uncle Bertie
    Boots Shaving Soap (Yardley?) (1970s? 1980s?)
    Tabac (2010s) ... pre-Design refresh ... is this vintage yet?

4. Bigboar

Bigboar Senior Member

Meh! Soaps from the 50's that are fine, my LPL has just gone in the bin after 18 months.....

Cheesepiece and Uncle Bertie like this.
  5. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

I only have some Erasmic (made in Jordan) cream. I like old aftershaves though, especially Old Spice.

6. R181

R181 Legendary Member

I have only used a very old vintage Williams shave stick and some Yardley. Both worked as well as any modern soap and the vintage Williams far surpasses the modern version except for the Williams stick that may or may not be still sold in South Africa. Vintage soaps are interesting so if I see any I am inclined to pick them up.

Bob

Uncle Bertie likes this.
  7. flobberdob

flobberdob Legendary Member

I've got a mug of old spice, still lathers up brilliantly considering it may be older than me! I also have this Imperial Leather NOS, despite having it 6 months or so still can't bring myself to use it. The aftershave is still good mind.

IMG_1450.JPG

Optometrist, wazza and phoenixandbeau like this.
  8. churchilllafemme

churchilllafemme Legendary Member

First, here are the ones in my current active rotation, from front to back (L to R): Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren Safari, Colgate Barber; Floris No. 89, tallow AOS Sandalwood, harrods, Floris Elite; C&E Sweet Almond Oil, Penhaligon's Lords, Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet; Floris Verbena, Williams Rose, Penhaligon's English Fern, Aramis JHL; Roger & Gallet L'Homme, Old Spice, and Rawleigh's.
    [​IMG]

And these are my reserve backups: Brooks Brothers, C&E Sweet Almond Oil, Aramis JHL, Floris Verbena sticks, Ralph Lauren Safari, Floris No. 89; Floris Elite, and Floris No. 89 bowls.
    [​IMG]

9. bakerbarber

bakerbarber Guru

Nice.

I love vintage tallow shave soap.

10. Uncle Bertie

Uncle Bertie Legendary Member

Great hoard @churchilllafemme! I've added to mine since, but having read about about how rare Cacharel pour homme soap is, I'm thinking of leaving it until sometime makes a silly offer for it. The rest are all in heavy rotation though.
    20161202_120735.jpg

For anyone thinking of trying vintage shaving soap themselves, a great place to start is unused or lightly used sticks of soap in shaving kits. I've been given them before by traders who couldn't imagine anyone would want to use one. You'll then either need to wash it thoroughly or if heavily crusted, get a potato peeler to it. The best bet then is to grate it into a bowl and enjoy the tallowy goodness. If the scent has been lost, then about 10 drops of a suitable EO like lavender will give it a lift.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Optometrist and Shaverrific666 like this.
  11. churchilllafemme

If any of you guys decide to sell some of your Imperial Leather shaving soap, please let me know. I'd love to get it.

12. Bigboar

Bigboar Senior Member

There's currently a puck of Yardley original, sealed, on t'bay for a binp of £25 + £15 postage.

Pretty darn cheap that boys!

13. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

Bagged this one yesterday ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rolodave and Optometrist like this.
  14. An enviable collection there Dan!!!

15. churchilllafemme

Yes, I've heard of those, but I've never seen anyone claim to have one of them or seen any images of them.