1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoes

Discussion in 'Grooming and Style' started by Burgundy, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Burgundy

Burgundy Veteran

Calceophiles, I think, is the word for shoe connoisseurs. If you like Frankensteining vaguely-relevant Latin words and Greek suffixes together anyway... or verbing.

Anyway, this forum was calling out for a shoe thread. An enabling thread for a new, even more expensive money pit. I'd personally love some Cheaney and Crockett & Jones but I'm sure that others have even loftier ambitions.

Also, polishing advice/tips. I use and like Saphir but there might be others.

Finally, tip-offs as to sales. I'll leave these here: http://www.trickers.com/sale.html http://www.cheaney.co.uk/sale-c35

Nico1970 likes this.
  2. Redd

Redd A Right Member

If you like to polish your shoes, don't use a yellow duster (which will leave tiny scratches in the polish) buy a Selvyt cloth.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Selvyt-Reu...8&qid=1470073194&sr=1-1&keywords=selvyt+cloth

Fox and IRISHCOAST like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Member #10

For work I'm a J&M guy and have been for years. With proper maintenance a pair can easily last you a couple of decades.
    For casual city walking Ive been pleasantly surprised by the Steve Madden shoes. Sure it's not anywhere near a top of the line shoe brand but their sizes are so consitent that I can even order online and know that they will fit perfectly and once they wear out its $30-40 to get a new pair

4. IRISHCOAST

IRISHCOAST Senior Member

Oxford's for work, at home regatta walking shoes, nice and comfortable too

Redd likes this.
  5. Redd

Redd A Right Member

Ditto Oxfords for work.
    Cherry Red Doc Shoes for smart casual.
    Adidas & Converse for casual casual.
    Brogues with suits.

wazza, Fox and IRISHCOAST like this.
  6. Gairdner

Gairdner Veteran

I don't have anything as lofty as Cheaneys and certainly not Crockett & Jones but I do have several pairs of brogues. Herring Kendal (Loake, made in England), Loake Otterburn (Tan with heavy brogueing and made in England), a vintage pair of English black Alfred Sargents with square toes and heavy brogueing, Grenson made in England toe cap semi-brogues in black hi-shine and I've just acquired a pair of burgundy Loake Royals which are probably the best fit of the lot. Also not long got myself a beautiful pair of Barker for Pediwear English-made toe cap boots in walnut calf with dainite soles. These are particularly fetching in my sad old opinion. Cat boots and Willie Lennon's for the dirty stuff, Karrimor hiking boots, shitey Merrell walking shoes, a pair of Nike skate style trainers for summer dodging around in and my black and white Adidas runners. Whew, worse than a wumman for shoes me!

Fox, Burgundy and Redd like this.
  7. johnus

johnus Active Member

Have had a couple pairs of AllenEdmonds' for years, since retirement I use then less than I should. Enjoy then when I do wear them.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Merkurologist

Merkurologist Senior Member

I like pictures :)

Not exactly shoes but still footwear :wink:

A pair of handmade boots by Rios of Mercedes in Texas. Ostrich leather. Unbillably comfortable. ( yet another hobby but and old one now :) )

20160802_105752.jpg 20160802_105607.jpg

lloydrm, PLANofMAN and Fox like this.
  9. Godfather

Godfather Veteran

Well I own a few pairs of Church shoes. 2 black brogues for work and one tan (they took a fair amount of time to break in). I have one pair of brogue boots that I use for country persuits in the field. Casual wise generally timberland deck shoes. Slippers are often overlooked but am a fan of felt!

Redd, Cat_man_do and Fox like this.
  10. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

Excuse my ignorance Richard but what is a j&m guy? I just googled it and was presented with a pair of bright red j&m thongs. I thought; "surely this can't be right? I better ask."

halvor and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Member #10

"Johnston & Murphy" you ignoramus :)

Fox likes this.
  12. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

Very nice! I was a secret hoarder of shoes, my most extravagant pair would be a pair of cream leather with green stitching handmade Florist Van Brommel brogues.

When new they had the most exquisite decorative work to the soles I had ever seen, was a shame to wear the shoes because of this. I will try to take a photo to share.

Merkurologist likes this.
  13. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

Ah, now I see. I'm not going to Google ignoramus to find out what that is, I will just accept that I am one, thank you. :)

PLANofMAN and Darkbulb like this.
  14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Cosmic Member

15. Fox

Fox The Soap Artisan

[​IMG]

You can't quite see the green stitching and they need a clean, but these are the Floris Van Brommel's. AKA: My Staying Alive Shoes! :)
    [​IMG]
    The decorative sole of the Van Brommel's

[​IMG]
    My Hudson Brogues

[​IMG]
    My Hudson Brogue style boots

[​IMG]
    My Hudson Hobnail boot

[​IMG]
    These are my comfy Hudson boots that I wear for kicking around in. This is pair number two, below is pair number 3 that have not been worn or ever polished yet. I'm waiting for the soles or leather uppers to go before I start wearing pair number 3. Oddly all pairs of these were bought at the same place within a month of the first pair but the sole style on number 3 is different to that on the ones above and first pair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My Kurt Geiger Burgundy Gabriel Derby brogues, love these. They are the most comfortable brogue I own, and only get worn on my rare Saturday shopping trips into town with my Son.

[​IMG]
    These are my vintage Avon grained leather Cheaney's. Unfortunately they do have a little water damage to the toes. I have been toiling with the idea for months now to strip the leather and dye them with Saphir products. I know that if I do I will end up with a new looking shoe and this to me will kill the charm of owning and wearing a pair of vintage shoes.

Should I dye them or not?

I also have a couple of pairs of Geox shoes and trainers, and a pair of Loake 202's and some more pairs of Hudson boots. I love Hudsons, reasonably priced and good quality shoes and boots hand made in Portugal.

Have had my eye on a pair of Trickers Stow Country Boots and for anyone interested the red and the green boots in this style are currently at a discount price. The question I keep asking myself is, do I need more boot's, or any footwear for that matter, and do I really need red boots? :confused:

http://www.trickers.com/stow-country-boot-1642.html

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    halvor, Darkbulb, Rohleder and 3 others like this.