1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaving bowl shambles

Discussion in 'Shaving Bowls and Scuttles' started by carbold, Oct 12, 2017.

1. carbold

carbold Senior Member

So I was back home this summer, that is in Sardinia, Italy. The village I come from is famous for its pottery and I happen to know this lady who is a great artisan, World famous. In fact this year she won a world championship, and this is the fourth time! So I had a chat and asked her to make me a shaving bowl, I wanted it to be like the Muhle one, gave her dimensions and pics...like this one

A couple of weeks later, she comes up with this one:

Now...Seriously?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

I can't see the attachments. Which is a real shame because I'm now very curious

3. carbold

carbold Senior Member

Sorted... I think....

4. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

:giggle:

carbold likes this.
  5. Mrchick

Mrchick Handsome Avatar

It looks good with your nail polish

6. Gordy

Gordy Legendary Member

Oh dear! I share your pain. I asked a local potter to copy a Fine Accoutrements bowl, but better built. Complete amateur hour peanut, it looked more like a bedpan a caveman would have knocked out of a rock. It didn't have any of the features that I wanted. I walked out in disgust and he chucked all of his toys out of his pram but I told him I wouldn't be paying for something I didn't ask for. It put me off ever asking a potter again.

Lann, Mrchick and carbold like this.
  7. Lann

Lann Guru

I think it is a case of some get it and some quite clearly don't. As long as it didn't cost too much it can be put in the "Won't be doing that again in a hurry " list

carbold likes this.
  8. UKRob

UKRob Legendary Member

If it's any consolation, the Muhle pot is useless except for holding hot water. At least your pot can be used for tea or coffee.

9. Paul G

Paul G Well-Known Member

That looks terrible. I got a scuttle from Steve wood ceramics and it is great, would definitely recommend his pottery.

carbold likes this.
  10. carbold

carbold Senior Member

That Steve Wood stuff looks good

Godfather and Paul G like this.
  11. Roscotanna

Roscotanna Senior Member

What were the required features @Gordy ?
    I only ask for the purposes of getting to know what people want to ensure my pottery meets shaver’s expectations

12. carbold

carbold Senior Member

I guess that my superstar local potter is more of an artist and as such she wants to do things her own way. But I’m an engineer and I gave her base diameter, top diameter, height and a photo of the Muhle pot I wanted. The problem is always lack of communication and assuming we all understand each other.

13. Roscotanna

Roscotanna Senior Member

That pot looks nothing like the muhle, there’s no denying that. Often when people give me measurements I’ll say itll be within 5mm as my clay shrinks 10-12% through the drying and firing cycles plus a bit of glaze thickness. Obviously you make a calculation to get it as close as possible but it’s hard to get it perfect.
    It seems as you suggest she was just on a totally different page.

14. Gordy

Gordy Legendary Member

I really love my Fine Accoutrements lather bowl, as a tool. It's seriously not a looker and the colour schemes are terrible though. I have the black and grey one which is the best of the bunch in my opinion. It's also a bit light (cheaply made) and would be easily broken.
    Reasons for loving it?
    1. It's the perfect size and depth and builds lather like no other bowl I've used. It sits perfectly in the palm of my hand whilst being securely held by my thumb in the handle. I can also hold it with a normal cup grip.
    2. The hole to hang it up is pure genius. It stores better than sitting on a shelf with an overhang that all my other bowls have succumbed to.
    3. The little shelf with the hole in, that the brush sits on is a brilliant feature. Saves room on the shelf below the mirror, brush can't fall off the shelf and it keeps the lather in the bowl.
    If you can copy those features in a well made bowl, make it blue or purple, then you'll have my cash......seriously!

Rowlers likes this.
  15. carbold

carbold Senior Member

First time I see one of those. I can see the practicality but boys it’s ugly!