Setback for Team Rockwell and their New Model T Razor...

That is my second and final kick in the "nut's" I have received backing a Kickstarter project , I ain't backing any more , I am not parting with anymore cash until the product is in production and I can feel and see it or read review's about the product .

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
I'm sure that if I'm wrong, someone will set me straight, but I've always supposed that the brass doors on vintage butterfly razors, adjustable or not, are stampings or pressings, rather than castings and/or machined items.

Last edited:

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
That is my second and final kick in the "nut's" I have received backing a Kickstarter project , I ain't backing any more , I am not parting with anymore cash until the product is in production and I can feel and see it or read review's about the product .
Twice around for me as well, and I feel I will likely be doing the same as you. As I'm now what is ridiculously called a Senior Citizen (whilst still behaving like a Juvenile Delinquent), interminable delays are even less bearable than they once were.

Twice around for me as well, and I feel I will likely be doing the same as you. As I'm now what is ridiculously called a Senior Citizen (whilst still behaving like a Juvenile Delinquent), interminable delays are even less bearable than they once were.
Yes , I can sympathise with you, I am not too far away from being a Senior Citizen myself and very much regret ordering the stand a month or two ago when it was offered as an add on and dispatch was said to only be a matter of week's away , something I regard as getting money out of me under false pretences , but there you go

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
I'm sure that if I'm wrong, someone will set me straight, but I've always supposed that the brass doors on vintage butterfly razors, adjustable or not, are stampings or pressings, rather than castings and/or machined items.
Yes, you are correct sir. That was how Gillette produced their razors in mass quantities. They used brass sheet or coil and probably owned their own hydraulic stamp press machines to stamp out the pieces needed for their brass tto doors. It is old technology, and still used today in smaller shops and mostly overseas where the cost of higher production and manufacturing technologies is out of reach for the time being. Stamping still can put out massive amounts of finished product and once a die is created, it's very cheap to maintain and run, just a lot more waste is produced. And I believe stamping is not as accurate as casting is, the die sooner or later will wear because of the tremendous amount of pressure created, sometimes in the tons, so finished parts will suffer from die degradation through time. Most manufacturers today use Die Casting whether it be hot or cold chambered. It is cheaper, more efficient and a lot less waste is produced because of the casting processes.

Slant_Fan

Über Member
I don't have a dog in this fight regarding the Rockwell model T, but I'm a bit curious about Zamak. I have quite a few pre-WWII German slants and some are all Zamak, and others the plated heads are. I had always thought that Merkur had brass heads and only recently read that they are Zamak. I don't have any 'deteriorated' Zamak on any of these razors, and I probably have close to 50 of them.

It certainly disappointed me to find out that the Merkurs are partially made out of what is essentially referred to as 'pot metal', but the 137 was the best slant I ever cut a whisker with until the Wunderbar came down the pike. All I'm saying is, though brass would be more desirable, the Zamak isn't 'that' bad. IMHO.

Uncle Bertie

Forum GOD!
I don't have a dog in this fight regarding the Rockwell model T, but I'm a bit curious about Zamak. I have quite a few pre-WWII German slants and some are all Zamak, and others the plated heads are. I had always thought that Merkur had brass heads and only recently read that they are Zamak. I don't have any 'deteriorated' Zamak on any of these razors, and I probably have close to 50 of them.

It certainly disappointed me to find out that the Merkurs are partially made out of what is essentially referred to as 'pot metal', but the 137 was the best slant I ever cut a whisker with until the Wunderbar came down the pike. All I'm saying is, though brass would be more desirable, the Zamak isn't 'that' bad. IMHO.
The downside to Zamak for me is that it can't easily be replated, I've some lovely slants that have lost some plating on the head and truthfully I don't like using that much because of the way they look. I'm just shallow :blush:

S

Steve Bowles

I wish I'd read this thread before I became a contributor not 15 minutes ago. :facepalm:

Nico1970

Forum GOD!
I like the idea of the stainless steel version.

To be fair, Rockwell is pretty good at keeping people informed - let's see how this stainless steel Model T option pans out.

S

Steve Bowles

I just jumped on the stainless steel option, too. I hope we're looking at sub-OneBlade cost.

S

Steve Bowles

I think they've shown that they're a quality outfit offering quality razors. Whether they're any better than a Gillette Adjustable will be a subjective opinion from folks who've shelled-out a not inconsiderable amount of dosh. What do you think the new owners will say? I think they'll say it's the best thing since personal lubricant.