1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semogue LE Cerda

Discussion in 'Shaving Brushes' started by ayush12345, Dec 7, 2017.

1. ayush12345

ayush12345 Senior Member

Guys
    Anybody knowhow this brush performs ? Have a standing offer for this brush and would like to know a little about this.

Thanks

2. halvor

halvor Forum GOD!

Calling @bambrit @Mikey J

Mikey J and bambrit like this.
  3. Dipesh

Dipesh Forum GOD! Staff Member

All of the series of 3 brushes perform brilliantly.

I owned them at one stage and may still have one in the stash. can’t remember now!

bambrit likes this.
  4. bambrit

bambrit Senior Member

Morning. I have probably face lathered 500-600 shaves with this brush and use it regularly to this day. From what I recall, it took me a very long time to properly break in (100+ shaves). Its a Semogue 1305 knot, set in a cherrywood handle and factory set at 5mm deeper than the 1305, giving it more backbone.

Its a unique boar brush. It has a small handle and knot, but as a 2 pass shaver myself, it suits my needs perfectly and works great. Its soft and scrubby as you want it to be with pleasant backbone from the deeper set knot. Despite heavy use, the transparent finish on the cherrywood handle is pro, still impeccably sealed and doesn't experience any of the cracked, chipped or blistered handle paint issues that I understand the Semogue 1305 is often plagued with. The only negative that I can see is that if you like bigger brushes or a big production lathering tool, you will likely want something bigger, although lather for 3 standard passes are easily achievable, once its broke in.

See attached. Not the best quality pics and don't mind the soap scum. I only clean my brushes, maybe twice a year.

upload_2017-12-7_3-7-1.png

upload_2017-12-7_3-7-43.png

upload_2017-12-7_3-8-9.png

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Burgundy and Mikey J like this.
  5. Mikey J

Mikey J Guru

Not sure what more I can say that hasn’t been said above other than it’s the best boar brush I’ve ever used and the only one that has remained in my den alongside my badgers.

Scrubby but not at all scritchy now it’s broken in which took an absolute age but was totally worth it. I you find one available jump on it!

If you look at bambrits third photo you’ll notice how fluffy the tips look. This may sound strange and unorthodox but it almost feels like the tips are gelled. Difficult to explain without actually seeing/feeling it.

bambrit likes this.
  6. ayush12345

ayush12345 Senior Member

Many thanks for the reply Bambrit.
    Unfortunately the offer is no more favourable since the brush has a little usage on it.
    I am not looking at the 1800 and the 1520. I hope these brushes keep me good company till another LE production goes live.
    Any view on these brushes ?!?

Ayush

bambrit likes this.
  7. ayush12345

ayush12345 Senior Member

Mickey
    I understand the gelling you mean as I have seen it partially happening to my Omega. Now imagining it at this magnitude I am just thinking hpw smooth can it be.
    As I mentioned in the previous reply to Bambrit, the economics of the deal was not in my favour. Hence I had to pass it off. I will be in the lookout for another one and who knows I may be lucky :wink:

Ayush

Mikey J likes this.
  8. bambrit

bambrit Senior Member

There was also a Qty100, Semogue 2017 Cerda LE made with an acrylic handle and same specs as the 2013 Cerda LE. It was released just 7mths ago. Might be worth keeping an eye out for a resale one on some of the boards if that's what interests you.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  9. Redrock

Redrock Senior Member

Excellent boar for me. Great with hard soaps. Feels good on my face.

Ed

bambrit likes this.
  10. ayush12345

ayush12345 Senior Member

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it. Thanks for your response.

11. Mikey J

Mikey J Guru

It was a reddit exclusive so it might be worth posting on r/shave_bazaar to try and acquire one. Apparently not quite as good as the Cerda although I haven’t used it myself.