1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review Santa Maria Novella shaving cream

Discussion in 'Shaving Creams' started by halvor, Sep 23, 2016.

1. halvor

halvor Royal Member

I received a bunch of samples from Shavedash two days ago, including a few premium priced ones. First out was Santa Maria Novella (SMN) cream. Other equipment used: Alumigoose with Feather Pro (2-3), Elite Manchurian two-band brush.

The sample is 3.80£ per 10 ml, the full jar ca EUR 70, USD 71 or NOK 495 (equivalent to whopping 46£) . From http://www.smnovella.it/concessionari.html?f=OBJ-ROLE-CORNER# it seems that there are no stockists in UK strangely. Barbiere de Figaro in NL stocks it.

Straight from the jar, the scent is very mild. Slightly medicinal in the background, mildly camphorous and a hint of eucalyptus. I had to sniff deeply to get an impression. Should go well with those who prefer light scents. It's also non-tallow, but I haven't succeeded in finding an ingredient list.

Edit: ingredients list:
    Aqua(Water-Eau), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera(Coconut Oil), Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Parfum(Fragrance), Pentaerythrityl Tetra-DI-T-Butyl, Hydroxyhrdrocinnamate, Camphor, Menthol, Allantoin

As I find that samples often don't accurately represent the true quality of soaps and creams (in part perhaps due to the repackaging, in part due to me being used to loading excessively from a larger surface area), I took a good thumbnail worth of product, pressed it into a bowl and started loading, adding water gradually, and adding more, and more, and more. Incredible amount of water went into this. I might have overloaded, but also from what I read around about this cream, it really does hold incredible amounts of water. Moved on to face lathering after a while, adding more water, and more, and more, until I had an incredibly rich, very slick lather. Not very voluminous, and it didn't whip up like for instance MdC does, in a jiffy. But this must surely be among the absolute best lathers my face and razor has ever had the pleasure of meeting. Where I have found many other soaps/creams to illustrate slickness and cushion as nullsum aspects, not so here: perfect slickness, allowing my razor to slide and glide like Svend Kramer, while cushioning like the breasts of Heidi the German beerstube-waitress. And this was with the Alumigoose, which generally tend to expect a little lighter and more runny lather than others; the side that glides against the skin easily creates more friction than wanted. This lather was lubricious! It incorporated lots of water and took time to build but very little air. Being one for rich, thick yoghurt with as little bubbles as possible, this was perfect. Moreover, the stability: virtually no change in looks and consistency over the time it took me to get through the shave. Lastly, the cream is pleasantly mentholated, enough to give a cool to the skin, but nowhere near freezing.

Here is the brush after two passes. Creamy and stable.
    IMG_2554.JPG

Scent: the initial not-exactly-kick of camphor and eucalyptus increased when lathered up, only to give way to a pleasant, unobtrusive, manly scent which took me by surprise, being hidden underneath the first Proraso-like scent. It is called Tuscan Tabacco, I believe, but very mild and it does not linger. Could in fact have been a tad stronger. But what is there should agree with anyone, I dare say. It might share a note or two with Tabac, but that's not where my nose took me. Just a classic, manly scent. Scent notes of its fragrance juice brother are as follows: top notes bergamot and jasmine; middle notes tobacco and birch leaf; base notes vanilla, amber and malt.

As for post-shave, I rinsed residual lather off very easily, and then rubbed a good amount of lather from the brush on my face without rinsing, to see the effect. Result: good skin feel. No sense of dry or tautness, yet little glide when faceturbating. More than pleased with post-shave performance.

In short: disregarding the cost, I'm all over this. I'd be very happy to receive it as a gift, but doubt I'd spend that much myself, on my current salary at least.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    chrisbd, Rowlers, Dogsmro and 10 others like this.
  2. Missoni

Missoni Fellow Traveller

...great review, thank you...

halvor and semperfi45 like this.
  3. Acer89

Acer89 James

I very nearly missed this excellent review. Thanks Havlor. I've also learned a new word. Can you guess?
    @Nishy and @Shaun if you see this would you please consider breaking down the Review section into suitable categories such as soaps, brushes, razors and one for miscellaneous etc.

Nishy and halvor like this.
  4. halvor

halvor Royal Member

Thanks, James!
    Venturing a guess here. Lubricious?

As to categorisation, folders vs tagging etc, I suggest, rather, to remove the review sub-forum and place all reviews within the relevant product sub-forum, ideally tagging it with 'Review' also.

Rowlers, lloydrm and Nishy like this.
  5. Acer89

Acer89 James

Well that was a new word for me also but the one I was referring to was 'faceturbating'

Redd and halvor like this.
  6. Quique

Quique Veteran

Thanks for share

halvor likes this.
  7. Acer89

Acer89 James

Yep.. That works for me! :) Having suitable sub-forums is much more organised and that's how we like it here on ATG.

halvor likes this.
  8. Redd

Redd A Right Member

Good review @halvor. This is on my samples wishlist, unless I win the lottery in which case in a jiffy I'll be off to their temple of loveliness - which looks like what I imagine @Nishy's shop looks like. Except with less haemorrhoid cream.

Nishy and halvor like this.
  9. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

Keep dreaming! Tiny shop been in the family for 35+ years. Plenty of analsol :wink:

halvor and Redd like this.
  10. Redd

Redd A Right Member

But do you sell Horlicks Tablets, Victory V Lozenges or Fishermen's Friend?

chrisbd likes this.
  11. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

Fisherman's friend yes, the other two no. However, I have been told by the hierarchy that some products on the shelf are older than I am. What seems to be the case; when something works it is removed (probably bought out if not already with a major player) re-packaged, re-marketed, slightly re-formulated and then costs double. Ridiculous. Iodine spray comes to mine, check out the cost of Betadine!

Redd likes this.
  12. Godfather

Godfather Veteran

@halvor, Great review. Would love to add this to my to buy list but I fear the wife would shackle my hands to the table due to the cost!

halvor, Missoni and Acer89 like this.
  13. wintoid

wintoid Well-Known Member

You can buy this in the UK by phoning the London shop I think.

halvor likes this.
  14. halvor

halvor Royal Member

So there is one? The link given in the OP didn't indicate any shops in the U.K. whatsoever as far as I could see.

15. Burgundy

Burgundy Veteran

Piccadilly Arcade, just up from Fortnum & Mason.

02074931975. Open until 7.

halvor likes this.