1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sandalwood soap

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by Godfather, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Godfather

Godfather Veteran

hello all, I would like to procure a sandlewood soap and am look for you kind gentlemen to offer up some suggestions/recommendations please..

Mr Bigmem likes this.
  2. Burgundy

Burgundy Veteran

If you're expecting anything that evokes true mysore sandalwood, prepare to be disappointed. Art of Shaving - Valobra at its base - is probably your best bet. But I haven't kept up with the plethora of artisan attempts in the last year or so.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Godfather likes this.
  3. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

Art of Shaving - natural sandalwood
    CRSW - vetiver and earthy/dark sandalwood)
    TOBS - powdery talc and light sandalwood
    Castle Forbes - natural sandalwood
    Chiselled Face - Earthy dark sandalwood
    Mystic Waters - natural sandalwood
    Truefitt and Hill - cologne and light sandalwood

Godfather likes this.
  4. p.b

p.b Veteran

Try Fine, allegedly similar to AOS

Godfather and Acer89 like this.
  5. Redd

Redd A Right Member

Proraso Red. Quite strong, good performer with the added Shea Butter and cheap.

Godfather likes this.
  6. celestino

celestino Veteran

* Mystic Water Sandalwood
    * Mystic Water Sandalwood Rose (my favourite)
    * AoS Sandalwood

7. halvor

halvor Royal Member

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Retro Razor Junkie

I'm surprised that wasn't the first suggestion. Prorazo red actually uses real sandalwood oil in their formula.

One thing to be aware of, is that many, if not most, Sandalwood scented products, including shave soap, usually use a synthetic sandalwood fragrance oil. Sandalwood is one of those things that some people are allergic too, and often times they are allergic to the various synthetic blends of sandalwood and not the real stuff, or vice versa. Real sandalwood oil is quite expensive, when it can be purchased at all. (Edit: Two ounces of sandalwood essential oil sells for almost $500, but granted, a drop or two is enough to scent a shaving soap. Still a big consideration when you are talking about a half dollar to a dollar's worth of fragrance).

Just something to keep in mind. Prorazo red offers good value and scent for the money.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    Acer89, Redd and wazza like this.
  9. Redd

Redd A Right Member

This does not surprise me, the scent on this is pretty all there, if you know what I mean.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. Nishy

Nishy Guru Staff Member

It's the ingredients list that puts me off Proraso, otherwise I agree scent and performance are decent.

Gordy likes this.
  11. Godfather

Godfather Veteran

Gents, as always a very big thank you. For starters, am going for OSP and Proraso Red. Am a but hesitant on Proraso as their green soap caused be no end of issues a few months ago!

12. Gordy

Gordy Über Member

I don't get on with either Proraso, irritates me no end. Can't imagine the red won't do the same for you as the green, or worse. OSP is a really good sandalwood.

Godfather likes this.
  13. Godfather

Godfather Veteran

I think that's the first one to try!

14. Godfather

Godfather Veteran

Osp I mean!

15. Redd

Redd A Right Member

The addition of Shea Butter in the Proraso formula was a great addition and gives a very creamy lather.

Godfather likes this.