Saito Japanese razor restoration

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Received this today in pretty poor condition:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

After a few hours it came up OK although the reverse side of the tang was so badly corroded that there is a lot of residual pitting. I don't have the equipment needed to grind this away but it will not affect the shave.

Next will be to make some scales - I'll add pics as I progress.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Big Difference on that Blade..Rob..Can You Tell Me How to Unpin a Blade..That is to Say..Get a Pin Out..:D

Billy
Hi Billy. There are various ways of unpinning a razor depending on whether you want to keep the scales and even the original washers. Assuming you want to retain everything apart from the pin itself, you should start by creating a flat on top of the dome with a small file - then create a small indent at the centre with a punch or whatever, this will help to centre a drill. I then use what is called a pin vice - a small hand drill with a 1/16" self centering drill bit. If the drill is sharp enough you will make inroads into the pin easily enough so that when you are just below the level of the washer you should be able to tap out the pin. For this I use a block of wood with a 1/4" hole drilled to allow the pin to fall into, and a 1/16" punch. If you don't have a punch, use an old drill with the shank cut off.

If you are not too bothered about the scales then a pair of small flush cutters will generally fit under the washers and you can cut the pin and tap out as described above.

Beware of using an electric drill if you want to keep the scales - the heat build up in the pin when drilling will cause celluloid scales to melt causing a depression where the washers are touching.

Billyfergie

Forum GOD!
Hi Billy. There are various ways of unpinning a razor depending on whether you want to keep the scales and even the original washers. Assuming you want to retain everything apart from the pin itself, you should start by creating a flat on top of the dome with a small file - then create a small indent at the centre with a punch or whatever, this will help to centre a drill. I then use what is called a pin vice - a small hand drill with a 1/16" self centering drill bit. If the drill is sharp enough you will make inroads into the pin easily enough so that when you are just below the level of the washer you should be able to tap out the pin. For this I use a block of wood with a 1/4" hole drilled to allow the pin to fall into, and a 1/16" punch. If you don't have a punch, use an old drill with the shank cut off.

If you are not too bothered about the scales then a pair of small flush cutters will generally fit under the washers and you can cut the pin and tap out as described above.

Beware of using an electric drill if you want to keep the scales - the heat build up in the pin when drilling will cause celluloid scales to melt causing a depression where the washers are touching.
That's Loud & Clear Rob..Thanks..Yeah..I am Looking at a Wee Resto Project just for the Experience & Fun & I am Looking to keep the Scales Intact..:happy:

Cheers..:cheers:

Billy

Billyfergie

Forum GOD!

Got this W P Cooper Swiftsure Sheffield Old Cast Steel SR for 9 Notes at My Door for a Wee Resto Project..Looks Never Used to Me..I Reckon that will Come Up Quite Dandy with a Bit of Sanding..Its Victorian I think..Cant get Much Intel on it Except they were a Prestige's Maker with a London Address it would Apear..:happy:.

The Grind is 6/8th I think & its Ground from Nose to Tail instead of more Modern Grinds from Spine to Edge...I am Waiting on it Arriving..These are the Sellers Pics.. :p:

Got it as a Wee Resto Project..Never Done that Kinda thing before..Something Different..:cool:

Billy

Last edited:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
@Billyfergie - I don't think it's ground any differently from a normal razor, you see that shape quite often and if it's hollow ground then you can bet it was spine to edge.

The grind you are thinking of is sometimes referred to as a faux frameback (wrongly in my opinion) or rattler grind. If you look at the end profile on these you obviously have the'overhang' but also a true wedge shape to the blade because the grinding wheel is flat against the length of the blade. The fact that your new acquisition appears to be hollow means it cannot have been ground toe to heel.

Billyfergie

Forum GOD!
@Billyfergie - I don't think it's ground any differently from a normal razor, you see that shape quite often and if it's hollow ground then you can bet it was spine to edge.

The grind you are thinking of is sometimes referred to as a faux frameback (wrongly in my opinion) or rattler grind. If you look at the end profile on these you obviously have the'overhang' but also a true wedge shape to the blade because the grinding wheel is flat against the length of the blade. The fact that your new acquisition appears to be hollow means it cannot have been ground toe to heel.
Thanks for the Correction Rob..I was Just Going by the Pics that I Blew Up & it Did Appear that the Grinding was Running the Other Way..:happy:

Billy

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I think you MAY like it @Billyfergie... It certainly goes on like plastering a wall and you get plenty of cushion.
May not be a slick as you like and you do know it has a fragrance :eek::laugh:

Billyfergie

Forum GOD!

The End Result..Came Up No Too Bad..Turns Out its a Swiftsure & Was made by Southern & Richardson Sheffield..Probably Around the Turn of the 1900s..The W P Cooper on the Tang was a Prestige's London Agent for Cutler Companies & Some of them Even had his Name..Like Earlier Cast Steel Bengals..Jobs for the Boys..Rob was Correct of Course about the Grinding..:okay:

You Cant Teach an Auld Soldier about Elbow Grease..It has Taken a Real Wicked Edge & Has Quite a Long Blade..Around a Centimetre More than Most..An Awesome Shaver..Different Feel from Later Hollow Grinds for Sure..:p:

Billy

Last edited:

Looney12345

Forum GOD!

The End Result..Came Up No Too Bad..Turns Out its a Swiftsure & Was made by Southern & Richardson Sheffield..Probably Around the Turn of the 1900s..The W P Cooper on the Tang was a Prestige's London Agent for Cutler Companies & Some of them Even had his Name..Like Earlier Cast Steel Bengals..Jobs for the Boys..Rob was Correct of Course about the Grinding..:okay:

You Cant Teach an Auld Soldier about Elbow Grease..It has Taken a Real Wicked Edge & Has Quite a Long Blade..Around a Centimetre More than Most..An Awesome Shaver..Different Feel from Later Hollow Grinds for Sure..:p:

Billy
Looking good Billy, fine job Sir.