Rocnel GEM SE

MPF9

Forum GOD!
As a first time user of the Rocnel and, indeed, any GEM, I found the shave to be extremely smooth, bar the first few strokes in learning the correct angle.
I'm truly looking forward to my second shave in the morning.
Why spend so much on a Razor,if you have not previously used a Vintage SE mystifies me. Am glad that you do like it , and hope you may be tempted to try the delights of some Gem powered Vintage SE razors, which are cheap and provide great Shaves.

Last edited:

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Prepped for my first shave with the Rocnel SE-G and wanted to change things up a bit. But before that I would like to thank Phil @Bullgoose for sponsoring this pass around (another shave forum) and for his generosity in allowing me to trial this razor.

So, like I had stated I wanted to change things up a bit so I decided to get my first shave with the Rocnel with the standard carbon steel GEM blade. I figured, if it goes bad at the start, it will only get better down the road. Plus, I haven't used them before and there's very little talk if any on how it would work with the Rocnel. Deep waters, here we go....

Pic above pretty much tells what I used.......

Onto the shave. Loaded the Gem carbon steel blade without a single issue. The feel and weight of the razor felt very good in the hands. The SE-G felt kind of small in my hands, but very comfortable and nicely balanced. Alignment and fitment of the blade was excellent. No overhang on either side and it was secured nicely with the grub/handle screw.

Pass 1 WTG, N-S= I started from the sideburns, mid-ear from North to South. The angle was easy to acquire on the first two strokes and even easier to maintain. Smooth, light touch and the razor cut through the stubble very nicely. The Rocnel has plenty of weight, so no pressure is needed, just a controlled and balanced drop. Very nice and comfy first pass with the carbon steel GEM blade. I felt no roughness or stickiness of the razor on my face. Just tiny little soap lines from the open comb design as I made my passes. Nice.....

Cold water rinse, one tiny weeper on the right and relathered......

Pass 2 ATG, WTG hybrid pass, S-N & L-R, R-L = Started from the base of the neck on an upward pass and slightly I turn inward towards the throat as that's how my hair growth maps out. From the jawline up it's a straight South to North pass. Man, what a pass! Now, it wasn't perfect as I felt a couple little bumps and skips on the neck heading towards the throat from both sides. A couple tiny red dots confirmed this. But I don't fault the razor at all on this. I knew it would be a little tough there for me because of my pronounced Adams Apple area. But it was smooth as silk when it was done. Also, the GEM carbon steel blade is a couple notches below on the smoothness compared to the SS PTFE coated ones. The finish on my face was just excellent. As close to a BBS shave all around minus the throat area. Chin was clean and just minor buffing along the jawline. Dropped the mic and walked of the stage performance.

Cold water rinse and onto the alum pass. Slight feedback along both jawlines and both sides of the throat. 4-5 weepers gone on the rinse and alum pass. Minor irritation on said areas, but gone in 30 minutes. I was left with an excellent smooth and refreshed shave. Got my hazel, rose water and aftershave splash and quench on. My daughter said "Nice Dad". 100% approval.

This razor can cut gents. A very nice aggressive shave and feel. Not overly done though, just the right amount of blade feel for those that like the blade feel on the skin, like myself. And contrary to the stories I've read about the GEM carbon steel blades not being smooth or efficient? Not so for me. It cut nicely and efficiently. Not as smooth as the SS PTFE version, but certainly respectable.

1st shave in, and I like it....

kypros

Forum GOD!
Thank you for the review, from what you have said, I take it the SE-G is an aggressive razor. How aggressive though? R41 agressive or Colonial General aggressive. How smooth is it, as this is very important for me in a razor.

p.b

Forum GOD!
The aggression is completely dependant on how poorly the blade is aligned and secured in place. If you look carefully at the above photos you'll see the blade has more exposure at the bottom than the top. I shaved with one this morning and spent at least 5 minutes, once I'd been to the garage to get my Allen key set, trying to ensure even exposure. This mornings shave was fairly mild but very effective.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
The aggression is completely dependant on how poorly the blade is aligned and secured in place. If you look carefully at the above photos you'll see the blade has more exposure at the bottom than the top. I shaved with one this morning and spent at least 5 minutes, once I'd been to the garage to get my Allen key set, trying to ensure even exposure. This mornings shave was fairly mild but very effective.
I second that. If you spend your time getting the loading of the blade correct its a pretty good shave

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
I second that. If you spend your time getting the loading of the blade correct its a pretty good shave
On a razor that costs this much, you shouldn't have to piss about aligning the blade. It's a core requirement of a razor, I wouldn't expect it from a £30 Merkur let alone a razor at this price point.

Not having a go at either of you, general observation :D

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Thank you for the review, from what you have said, I take it the SE-G is an aggressive razor. How aggressive though? R41 agressive or Colonial General aggressive. How smooth is it, as this is very important for me in a razor.
No issue for me on aggressiveness. Never shaved with an Muhle R41, but it is a bit more aggressive than a Brass General and less than an Rx. At least in my experience..... Hope that helps.

p.b

Forum GOD!
On a razor that costs this much, you shouldn't have to piss about aligning the blade. It's a core requirement of a razor, I wouldn't expect it from a £30 Merkur let alone a razor at this price point.

100% agree Olly.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!

Totally agree with you. However my statement still remains true its a pretty good razor, albeit with a flaw. Rocnel have pushed the way they innovated rather than imitated other razors for this one. And IMO I really think they tried to get the razor to market a lil too early so they could get a share of the market from the Blackland Sabre. I can see from reviews the Sabre is prob the safer option and Rocnel will do well to pay mind to user testing for future releases of new concepts. If they plunder on with razors that have these flaws. It wont be long before oh it just so happens to be 316 steel wont mean a thing.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Totally agree with you. However my statement still remains true its a pretty good razor, albeit with a flaw. ...If they plunder on with razors that have these flaws. It wont be long before oh it just so happens to be 316 steel wont mean a thing.
My thoughts exactly.

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
Totally agree with you. However my statement still remains true its a pretty good razor, albeit with a flaw. Rocnel have pushed the way they innovated rather than imitated other razors for this one. And IMO I really think they tried to get the razor to market a lil too early so they could get a share of the market from the Blackland Sabre. I can see from reviews the Sabre is prob the safer option and Rocnel will do well to pay mind to user testing for future releases of new concepts. If they plunder on with razors that have these flaws. It wont be long before oh it just so happens to be 316 steel wont mean a thing.
Well said! Agreed.