Completed Rockwell 6C

halvor

a most elusive fish
Blonde question: is the plate indication showing for the side it is on or for the reverse side, i.e. showing when blade loaded and top cap on? I have tried four sides now, and seem to prefer when R3 shows underneath. (Funny, given that I also prefer the Timeless in .95 gap, not the .68. But I should give it some time anyway.)

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Blonde question: is the plate indication showing for the side it is on or for the reverse side, i.e. showing when blade loaded and top cap on? I have tried four sides now, and seem to prefer when R3 shows underneath. (Funny, given that I also prefer the Timeless in .95 gap, not the .68. But I should give it some time anyway.)
Correct @halvor, the visible number is the plate you are using. :okay:

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Rockwell 6c

Below are two razors of almost the same price $-€50 -
{Left to Right) The Rockwell 6c and the Merkur Progress long handle.
With only a few grams between their weight. The Rockwell 6c = 98gr, Merkur progress = 103gr.
Head wise only around a millimeter or two in it.
I have had the Merkur Progress for just over a month and found it to range from Mild to Very Aggressive.

I listened to all your advice and said sod it! Lets just go with the first commendation,
So I went with setting #4 - thanks 2hotstrot :thumbsup:

Included with the razor were some Rockwell razor blades But I decided to chose a Gillette Blue Platinum, instead. As these are a personal favourite of mine and I know what to expect.
First shave with the Rockwell 6c and I used Wickham's "classic 24", an alum block and Prorazo nourish and finished with a little "L'Aventure" by Al Haraman.Just to note, I also had almost two days growth.
I found finding the angle was very easy, much easier than I was expecting.
My first thought's where, "Jesus, this is very mild!" and the first pass WTG and ok.
My second pass was ATG and this time it felt, maybe a medium feel to it?
The third pass was XTG with only the faintest razor burn starting to show.
Why a third pass? why the hell not! I'm loving the Wickham's 1912 "Classic 24"
There is an area just to the right of my Adam's apple which always feels a little rougher than I like but it was dealt with effectively.
Whilst it pains me to say this, I rate my Merkur Progress at around 8.5 out of 10 -
As i make a deduction on having to hold the head and blade while tightening it, so there are No misalignment.
The Rockwell 6c, doesn't have this issue but for me it is NOT an adjustable razor, it is a changeable razor.
Having said that, I was still very impressed with it. For this shave I would give it 9.25 out of 10 based on this #4 setting.
I will give it a few days and try the #6 setting next.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Sorry about the delay in updating you.

On Monday I decided to go hell for leather and picked setting # 6. Again I used a Razorock XL chubby Silvertip and the the same Wickham's "Classic 24" as before But this time, I went for Layrite's no 09 bay rum aftershave. It should be noted that I used the same old blade as my first shave, A Gillette Platinum.

#6 Head
Boy, can you feel the blade on you skin, so small tentative strokes starting off but the razor is so forgiving and trustworthy.
Their is a lovely loud noise as the razor fells whatever is in it path, as it effortlessly cuts the stubble.
After one side is done, you relax and enjoy the sensation of this razor. Just two passes and I am done.
Some minor razor burn but not thing to really worry about.
Out of these two shaves thus far, head setting #4 is just so sweet for me. Although #6 is aggressive it is fun. So I would give it 8.8 out 10.

+
Wednesday
Tonight I decided to go to the complete opposite scale and try #1 and #3 head.
So I copied Monday nights set up but used a New Gillette Platinum blade.
For this shave I went with using the #1 head on my left side and
the #3 on my right. just for a comparison.
The #1 setting I found very poor! I could not feel or hear the blade cut the stubble.
It was like there was no blade in the razor. I also found that the head clogged up very quickly.
I carried out two passes but there was still so much stubble left, that I just got very bored with it!
This is the worst experience I have ever had with any razor.
The #3 was far better and much more efficient but just to mild for my liking.
As with the #1 setting, I still had a reasonable amount of fine stubble on and around my chin after two passes.
So what is my rating for #1: 2 out of 10......and I'm scratching my head for why?
As for the #3: 6.5 ....It was a reasonable razor head.
If someone ever asks what would be a good razor to start wet shaving with I would more than likely say the Rockwell 6c. As it is Very Very Mild but Also Aggressive.
Personally, from my experience the #4 head is the best for me But I would choose my Merkur Progress for lower settings.

slapo

It's... alive!
Just sent ManicDee my details.
Quite curious about this razor, lots of raving reviews. Hopefully won't disappoint like the Parker Variant did (with a DE blade - rocks with an injector blade, though).

Thanks for the opportunity, chaps. :)

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
Sorry about the delay in updating you.

On Monday I decided to go hell for leather and picked setting # 6. Again I used a Razorock XL chubby Silvertip and the the same Wickham's "Classic 24" as before But this time, I went for Layrite's no 09 bay rum aftershave. It should be noted that I used the same old blade as my first shave, A Gillette Platinum.

#6 Head
Boy, can you feel the blade on you skin, so small tentative strokes starting off but the razor is so forgiving and trustworthy.
Their is a lovely loud noise as the razor fells whatever is in it path, as it effortlessly cuts the stubble.
After one side is done, you relax and enjoy the sensation of this razor. Just two passes and I am done.
Some minor razor burn but not thing to really worry about.
Out of these two shaves thus far, head setting #4 is just so sweet for me. Although #6 is aggressive it is fun. So I would give it 8.8 out 10.

+
Wednesday
Tonight I decided to go to the complete opposite scale and try #1 and #3 head.
So I copied Monday nights set up but used a New Gillette Platinum blade.
For this shave I went with using the #1 head on my left side and
the #3 on my right. just for a comparison.
The #1 setting I found very poor! I could not feel or hear the blade cut the stubble.
It was like there was no blade in the razor. I also found that the head clogged up very quickly.
I carried out two passes but there was still so much stubble left, that I just got very bored with it!
This is the worst experience I have ever had with any razor.
The #3 was far better and much more efficient but just to mild for my liking.
As with the #1 setting, I still had a reasonable amount of fine stubble on and around my chin after two passes.
So what is my rating for #1: 2 out of 10......and I'm scratching my head for why?
As for the #3: 6.5 ....It was a reasonable razor head.
If someone ever asks what would be a good razor to start wet shaving with I would more than likely say the Rockwell 6c. As it is Very Very Mild but Also Aggressive.
Personally, from my experience the #4 head is the best for me But I would choose my Merkur Progress for lower settings.
A great review and thanks for sharing. :)

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Just sent ManicDee my details.
Quite curious about this razor, lots of raving reviews. Hopefully won't disappoint like the Parker Variant did (with a DE blade - rocks with an injector blade, though).

Thanks for the opportunity, chaps. :)
Are you in receipt of the 6C or is it still on route?

slapo

It's... alive!
Are you in receipt of the 6C or is it still on route?
ManicDee reported that the parcel got back to him due to my details becoming damaged on the label at some point, so he re-sent it this week and it should be on the way again.

slapo

It's... alive!
Well, I had suspected the 6C would be a poor shaver for me, unless it would be like the Vig Shaving head I have.
What a nice surprise, it's very much like that, just milder.

Used the #6 plate using my usual tweak for this head type, although I don't think it was even necessary. The tweak is to pull the blade against the top cap slightly to make it more curved when screwing on the handle. Makes the blade a bit stiffer and curves it so it's a bit milder.

Anyway, #6 felt very mild, but was also very efficient. I rode the top cap for the most part, except on the neck, where I need to fluff the hair a bit with a bar/comb before a blade gets to it.
The R48 actually felt almost same, although it handled quite differently.

At the end of the shave, after two ATG passes on each side plus minor touch-ups, my face felt smooth and, frankly, great. :-D
No irritation from either of the razors, even though I overshaved with the R48, playing with it, really, so had a couple of tiny red dots on the chin from that. My mistake entirely. Just wanted to get the best feel for the razor. I felt the 6C was more efficient, but then I didn't really experiment with it the way I did with the R48.

Tried the R48 on the back side of my neck and it went great. Haven't tried the 6C due to tabs being exposed on the sides and I have a bunch of moles there that could get some damage from a tab, particularly as Kais have them sharp on edges.

Overall, however, I'd say the 6C #6 and the R48 are about on par. Extremely comfortable, very efficient and I had a lovely, easy shave from both. Both are pretty much what I had hoped the OneBlade Core would be for me.

The rest of the gear for today's shave
- Kai SS blade, new one for each razor
- Omega S10108 (acquired last week) - first shave with it, too, and very happy with it as well
- Godrej soap

Prep
- rinsed face with water
- washed with Godrej

Lather
A bit thinner, but still fluffy.

Note
Cold water only during the whole shave. Rinsed face with water between passes.

6C #6 with the blade pull towards the top cap:

The Vig Shaving head definitely has more blade feel and exposure (than the #6 6C plate), even with the same tweak applied. Apologies for the poorly focused shot and the dust bunnies:

Last edited:

slapo

It's... alive!
Sorry it took so long to get to you, Slapo but it got there in the end :facepalm:
Lovely review and a very interesting trick you have. :thumbsup:
Thanks ManicDee and no worries. I'm sorry for the trouble you had to go through to get it to me.

On another note, have you managed to do the Progress experiment? ;-)