Rockwell 6c or 6s?

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
But is cast stainless really that much stronger than cast zinc alloy? If it were machined stainless that would be another story. Any metal experts that can weigh in?
How do you think the billets that parts are machined from are made? They're cast. Casting vs machining is a matter of cost-effectiveness, especially when it comes to scaling and the complexity of the shape of the part required, not durability. Considering that cast stainless is used for machine parts debating its durability when used in something like a razor which is an extremely low-stress application is pointless. The idea that a machined stainless razor is somehow better than a cast one is prevalent but ridiculous, it's the level of QC involved in the process that makes the difference.

Stainless is much stronger than zinc alloy, period. It matters not if it's cast or machined. I would like to say that it doesn't matter for razors, however I've seen a few that have fallen victim to zamak rot or have had the posts snap off when dropped which I've never seen with steel, brass or aluminium.

Last edited:

Tomhstorey

Forum GOD!
I've had the 6C and the 6S.

Both shaved to me very similarly.

I slightly prefer the feel of the 6S, I found the chrome 6C may have had a slight edge with glide. Neither of these was really a big enough difference to notice any real difference in the shave.

I moved the 6C on and kept the 6S, I use it a lot for work travel and am more confident throwing the stainless razor around in a suitcase a lot.

No idea if that's any help.

For me, 6S was the winner. Love it.

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
I've had the 6C and the 6S.

Both shaved to me very similarly.

I slightly prefer the feel of the 6S, I found the chrome 6C may have had a slight edge with glide. Neither of these was really a big enough difference to notice any real difference in the shave.

I moved the 6C on and kept the 6S, I use it a lot for work travel and am more confident throwing the stainless razor around in a suitcase a lot.

No idea if that's any help.

For me, 6S was the winner. Love it.
Hmm..I have to take into account the "I paid more for this therefore I'll convince myself it must be better" factor. There are studies.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tomhstorey

Forum GOD!
Hmm..I have to take into account the "I paid more for this therefore I'll convince myself it must be better" factor. There are studies.

I know of such studies.

However, I could have been happy with either of these.

My preference is mainly based on the assumption that it will be a bit sturdier.

qVAMPIREp

Forum GOD!
I have both and they are definitely NOT the same. The 6C has beautiful thick chrome but is lighter and shaves one plate more agressively. I'm not sure which I prefer yet since they are both excellent.

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
I have both and they are definitely NOT the same. The 6C has beautiful thick chrome but is lighter and shaves one plate more agressively. I'm not sure which I prefer yet since they are both excellent.
"The 6C’s plate initially appeared to my eye to be a little thicker, and the cap a hair thinner, but apparently this is an illusion, as my caliper says they're the same. I've also read on a couple of other boards that the blade gap on the 6C seems greater than on the 6S, but my feeler gauge says otherwise. I've only measured the 1 and 3 plates, but both are within a couple of hundredths of a mm on each razor.."

From someone who measured them.

Burry

Forum GOD!
I've now got the 2C as well as the 6S - loved the 6S and I wanted a spare, just in case. The 2C is clearly not a spare 6S, but it seems to shave me the same (I can notice it is lighter) and it does give me a 2nd Rockwell. I'm sure they will both last ages

qVAMPIREp

Forum GOD!
"The 6C’s plate initially appeared to my eye to be a little thicker, and the cap a hair thinner, but apparently this is an illusion, as my caliper says they're the same. I've also read on a couple of other boards that the blade gap on the 6C seems greater than on the 6S, but my feeler gauge says otherwise. I've only measured the 1 and 3 plates, but both are within a couple of hundredths of a mm on each razor.."

From someone who measured them.

Well we are talking about a MIM product wth 2 very different metals and finishing processes. Perhaps some razors were chromed longer, had different shrinkages etc. or it might just come down to the difference between how a shiny vs matt finish stretches skin. In the end, my face says a 3 on a 6S is not the same as a 3 on a 6C. I need to drop down a plate on the 6C from a 3-2 or its weeper city everytime.