1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pass Around riverrun's lending library: Stahly Live Blade

Discussion in 'Lending Pool' started by sɐǝɹpu∀, Jul 21, 2016.

1. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

Due to ... logistical reasons, razors from my lending library are currently not available.

[​IMG]
    As part of my 'lending library' I'm offering a Stahly Live Blade razor.
    [​IMG]
    The Stahly Live Blade is a mechanical wind-up vibrating razor. It's quite an enormous beast, weighing a whopping 177.2 grams.
    You can read about the Stahly elsewhere: here, here or here. I'll add more links as I find more information.
    Here's a video by @Darkbulb:

Now here's my take on it: The wind-up, vibrating handle is a useless gimmick. The handle is too heavy and the vibration doesn't add anything to the shave. It's fun to see how it works though. Quite a few people (including myself) have however noticed that the head of the Stahly is unusual. It has its own unique geometry. It's mild and smooth, yet efficient. It's definitely worth trying the head on its own. It gives me fantastic shaves when used on a different handle.
    If desired, I'll include a 35.6 grams, 73mm handle of a Phonenix DOC razor. Here's an image of the Stahly head with that handle:
    [​IMG]
    Already looks like a normal razor, right?
    You can borrow the Stahly Live Blade as
    • head only.
    • head and Phoenix handle
    • head and Stahly handle
    • head and both handles
    If you do borrow the Stahly handle I ask that you please do not submerge the handle in liquid. It might survive, but I'm not sure. The vibrarting mechanism works and I want it to stay that way.
    Other than that, normal pass around rules apply: The razor is your responsibility from the moment you receive it until the next person receives it. You break it, you buy it. Make sure the head is thoroughly clean and shave ready when you pass it on or return it to me. Use at least ‘signed for’ delivery when posting it. Enjoy the shave and let us know what you think.
    Postage:

• with the original handle: TBC - probably £3.95
      • without the original handle: £1.85
    If you're interested, post in this thread or send a PM to @sɐǝɹpu∀.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Darkbulb and Nico1970 like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Member #10

+1
    Terrabad handle. Amazing head.

Uncle Bertie likes this.
  3. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

Oh come on, the handle is great fun! It's amazing! Just not for shaving :p:

Uncle Bertie and Darkbulb like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Member #10

In that case I have to say yours is surprisingly shiny :)

sɐǝɹpu∀ likes this.
  5. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

If you haven't tried one it's an interesting historical experience.

sɐǝɹpu∀ likes this.
  6. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Yes please @sɐǝɹpu∀.. I've been meaning try one of these for a while...

7. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

Of course, Lee. The full hog? Head and both handles?

8. Rowlers

No just the head please @sɐǝɹpu∀. Also please don't rush to send it, I'm away all next week, so if someone else wants to jump in first, that would be great!

9. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

Certainly. I'll try and remember. I've got your address.

Rowlers likes this.
  10. Rowlers

No one else fancy this?
    It is a great shaver!! Come Gents you need to try one of these, mild as Tech, but much more efficient!

sɐǝɹpu∀ likes this.
  11. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

Glad you like it, Lee.

12. Uncle Bertie

Uncle Bertie Legendary Member

I've just acquired one and tried shaves with it for the last two days. I've just used the head on a fat Tech handle and a slightly longer German stainless handle. At present it's not as indispensable as the Tech or Krona but I'll persevere.

sɐǝɹpu∀ likes this.
  13. Uncle Bertie

Uncle Bertie Legendary Member

Just had my third go with this, using an Ikon OSS handle. What a great shave! I'm not sure if it's the extra weight or just improved technique, but this was a beauty.

sɐǝɹpu∀ likes this.
  14. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

Don't just take Uncle Bertie's word for it, gentlemen.
    Try it for yourself. While the Stahly head is on the road, this is like a normal pass around.

Uncle Bertie likes this.
  15. Rowlers

Anyone else want to try this? It's a great razor and I think I shall be tracking one down!

sɐǝɹpu∀ likes this.