Recent Straight Razor additions

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I had a good week-end bidding on some Japanese’s razors.

The Saito needs a bit of work but completes my set of the three razors. The Hien razor - photos 1 and 3 looks like a beauty - it’s a Western Kamisori grind.Lastly I bagged an Iwasaki.
BA82D584-1543-4C90-AB4A-6D62C6F95077.jpeg
8421FEC8-DEDD-4CA0-B66D-06057903C940.jpeg
3B5FB955-0821-4C22-81B0-5D2F0F0DD599.jpeg
0357D084-39AD-450D-9745-96913721763C.jpeg

Last edited:

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Rob, that Iwasaki doesn't look right to me, the double stabilizer and is that a stamp or an etch? looks like an etch to me, the stamps are also too far apart from each other, the scales also don't look right.

Last edited:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Jamie, here is a photo I took from Aframes - it looks pretty similar regards stamps and scales. The stabiliser differs slightly to my purchase But I’ve seen the same on other Iwasaki razors.

76E4B90F-A264-448A-8B46-BA867E5D3132.jpeg

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Sorry mate to tell you bat that's fake iwasaki , none iwasaki had etched logo , also iwasaki didn't made stabilizes on any model
Why do you think these are etched as opposed to stamped? Obviously I don’t yet have the razor so can’t be sure. As for the stabilisers - the photo from Aframes who is a very reputable dealer shows what appears to be an identical razor to mine.

RSSO

SOD of the day
Why do you think these are etched as opposed to stamped? Obviously I don’t yet have the razor so can’t be sure. As for the stabilisers - the photo from Aframes who is a very reputable dealer shows what appears to be an identical razor to mine.
Seen a lot of them over the years and all look same, there was discussion on some forums about this and conclusion was that other Japanese razor without stamp think it was suzamasa was used to etch Iwasaki logo on it. I had all of iwasakies and currently have 3 to me your's looks like etched one.

Steve56

Forum GOD!
I’m out of my reckoning with respect to Iwasaki, but I do have a couple on the way, vendor’s images except for the boxed Le Grelot.

First up is a wide flashy user grade Filarmonica 14 Sub Cero, one of my favorite shavers. I know the seller and she made me a quite good offer. This one will probably go to Alfredo for detailing as I have to send some other things up too.

Second is something that I thought that I’d never obtain, a spare blade for my Le Grelot Fleur d‘Acier which has only one intact blade. Not that a Le Grelot Coupe Celeste in good order is anything to turn up your nose at. Lol, now I have to start looking for the spare Coup Celeste blade! It never ends does it?

88B584E4-CDEF-4A03-9829-BA8F25C3D4F7.jpeg
4B994533-DF1E-48D1-88C3-658A42AB4FDC.jpeg
D1B3084D-A400-4983-A1D8-436286F6F959.jpeg
9FB96A4E-CF3B-4A97-B27D-A53D63B25807.jpeg
5AAB7380-44B3-4560-AE8E-F03E700ABC20.jpeg

Last edited:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Seen a lot of them over the years and all look same, there was discussion on some forums about this and conclusion was that other Japanese razor without stamp think it was suzamasa was used to etch Iwasaki logo on it. I had all of iwasakies and currently have 3 to me your's looks like etched one.
I’d appreciate some more detail about the forums. Also the razor you mention - Suzamasa - does not bring any searches.

RussellR5555

Forum GOD!
I’d appreciate some more detail about the forums. Also the razor you mention - Suzamasa - does not bring any searches.
Hi Rob it is spelt Suzumasa.

Here is an article it includes the Suzumasa.

Last edited:

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
I remember another member a few years back putting up the same razor with the same etch it was another fake, they are pretty easy to spot if you have seen or owned an original one, the originals are becoming almost impossible to find and when they do come on the market the prices are off the wall, a friend of mine sold a NOS one a little while back for more than £2500. It's all about supply and demand with western style Iwasaki razors, it's almost easier to find rocking horse shit, about 4 years ago you could pick up NOS ones for about £200, I wish I had picked up a few back then.

Last edited:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Hi Rob it is spelt Suzumasa.

Here is an article it includes the Suzumasa.

Thanks for the link Russell. So, it seems to come down to either a fake if the stamps are etched or, a Tanifuji made for Iwasaki if they are proper stamps. I’ll try and get a better idea when I have the razor and update this post then.
Thanks @JamieM and @RSSO for your input as well. If the razor turns out to be any good - even though it’s not genuine, it will not have cost me much more than any other decent Japanese razor.