Post shave balm and don't say Nivea....

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
So I've had some sensitive skin moments of late when trying to shave to often lol. I know the best cure for razor rash and sore skin is better shaving but it does happen at times. So in my quest to help my sore skin i've been having some offline PMs with some regulars to help get me in the right direction with some post Shave's

So what would you recommend for sensitive skin that's now raw. Please think away from Nivea, the only Nivea that has worked for me in the past was the anti irritation extreme comfort post shave balm. It's the thicker green balm in the silver plastic bottle. The rest even the sensitive one brings me up in an even worse rash.

So on my to try or buy list
goats milk cream
Dove for Men post shave balm
Boots Organics range post shave balm
Boots No 7 post shave balm
Clinique aftershave balm
Speick aftershave balm

Any others or any of the above you can cosign will sooth and put my flare up to rest.

Gordy

Legendary Member
Have you tried some of the better aftershaves like Spieck? I can't use balms at all, too greasy. What about Witch Hazel?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Clinique post shave balm
Professor Blighty balm
Astral cream
Arko cream
The best post shave I have come across is actually an a/s, being Speick or Pitralon

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Have you tried some of the better aftershaves like Spieck? I can't use balms at all, too greasy. What about Witch Hazel?
Ok so to date aftershaves are ok if i've not done to much damage lol i'm ok with most even the really heavy alcohol stuff. My go to is pinuards clubman, bay rum and vanilla. Witch hazel is a gem but again on a normal not to bad shave. I'm looking for that magic stuff that can bring back normality when you've F'd up your face with bad shaving or shaving just to hard or often. Or just all of the above.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Clinique post shave balm
Professor Blighty balm
Astral cream
Arko cream
The best post shave I have come across is actually an a/s, being Speick or Pitralon
So if we're talking red raw where even pure aloe stings what then.

Len

Forum GOD!
In those cases where you have a very bad shave, and almost anything will burn your skin, there is only one go-to balm for me:

Santa Maria Novella Emulsione Analcolica

It is pricey, but very, very special stuff. No alcohol, and includes witch hazel, olive oil, and a blend of healing roots and herbs. Gentlest stuff ever, and very healing.

Also highly recommended is Savonniere du Moulin balm. Can leave the slightest of burn, as it does contain a trace amount of alcohol. The donkey milk and argan oil make this stuff absolute skin food. This is my daily balm, and helps my skin stay healthy and feel fantastic for the long haul.

Gordy

Legendary Member
I've no experience of it but Trumper's Skin Food......anyone?
I'm getting on brilliantly with after shaves, transformed my shaves, very clean, been great for my skin, especially Floid.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I didn't like Trumpers much, too sticky. Clinique as mentioned before is excellent, Zirh and Weleda are both also very good too.

Sometimes perhaps once a week I don't shave, this is when the Kiehls comes out and I rub a good healthy dose in. It's quite thick stuff and needs rubbing in well which of course is just right.

Dipesh

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Trumpers I enjoy. Only a pea size amount at maximum and apply to a damp face and it feels great.

I found if I don't have a damp face, there is a chance it could go sticky if you don't get the pea size right.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Two things that worked for me. I was having problems about 3 / 4 months ago. Feeling raw, etc.
Sudocream was the firs thing I tried, a thing coat after a shave. Does a very good job but I did not like the smell. The next thing was baby bottom butter.... I use the one sold by Waitrose supermarket. Just a very thing coat. Once the problem was completely cured I carried on using just a tiny tiny bit of the stuff over the know problem area.... as a prevention if you like. I have not had a problem again.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Two things that worked for me. I was having problems about 3 / 4 months ago. Feeling raw, etc.
Sudocream was the firs thing I tried, a thing coat after a shave. Does a very good job but I did not like the smell. The next thing was baby bottom butter.... I use the one sold by Waitrose supermarket. Just a very thing coat. Once the problem was completely cured I carried on using just a tiny tiny bit of the stuff over the know problem area.... as a prevention if you like. I have not had a problem again.
Baby bottom butter sounds like it will help give me baby butt smooth skin lol. I'm gona think outside the box and look into nappy rash creams as well. If they can sooth a baby bottom i'm sure they can provide me with some relief for my face.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Sudocream is excellent stuff, we always have a pot in for glazes etc. Bepanthen is also good stuff, especially on a new Tattoo.
You know what i'd forgot how good Bepanthan was until just now. it all floods back. I've got tats and i'd used it on all of them post inking and it is the magic that helps heal protect and keep hydration in while lettin shin breath. Ok off to boots to grab me some right now