1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People with Disability wet-shaving

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by Celar36, Jan 7, 2017.

1. missingskin

missingskin Senior Member

I'll get the hoover out right now .............:notworthy:
    To be fair it could do with a clean...............:D

AlexNoodles, Bizzyberry and Robyflexx like this.
  2. halvor

halvor Royal Member

Another tip, @Celar36, in line with the Gillette 77, is the Twist model from Muhle (R41 aggressive OC, R89 medium scalloped bar), in two parts for easy loading. If you have trouble loading blades, why not bring the razor to the blade so to speak rather than the blade to the razor: put the top cap on the table, position the blade, and slide the handle over. Plus, the handle is bigger than most, yet not particularly heavier.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Chief Brody

Chief Brody Well-Known Member

Dead proud to see this thread trending away.

Gairdner, Celar36 and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Celar36

Celar36 Über Member

@Chief Brody it is not easy to make decision to post it.

Behind every decision and post I do there is story.

I had been asked why I search for unobtanium razor instead something available. Why I am consistent,with shave and use same products?

Well not much choice for me tbh. Tradere chosen me rather me choosing it. Same Gillette NEW long Comb. As everybody else I would try more razors and them actually work for me. Many people whom know me long know of my journey to find razor that will work for me and I found two from which I own one. Wet shaving is truly at is golden age

I love this hobby due it tought me a lot of self discipline and I met truly amazing people.

As we speak, two great members are sending some razors for me to try!

flip-68, Gairdner, flobberdob and 3 others like this.
  5. Chief Brody

Chief Brody Well-Known Member

Good for you @Celar36 & thank you for your story. Really appreciated. Made me smile about the good folks of ATG.

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. churchilllafemme

churchilllafemme Veteran

I don't really feel very disabled, but I do have slowly progressive muscle and strength loss in my dominant left shoulder and arm from post-polio syndrome, which can affect my shaving. For the last few years I have had to prop the elbow of my left hand, which holds my razor, in my cupped right hand in order to keep the razor raised to face level. More recently I have found that titanium razor handles are easier for me to use than heavier stainless steel ones. (I tried lightweight single edge razors but just couldn't get used to the face feel.) The most important factor for making my shaves practical is just taking my time, resting my left hand on the bathroom counter for a minute or two between passes, which makes the shave more enjoyable overall anyway.

Chief Brody and Robyflexx like this.
  7. chris.hale

chris.hale Über Member

Have you tried the iKon Deluxe OC? It shaves very much like a New (funnily enough!) and the head covers the ends of the blade.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. Celar36

Celar36 Über Member

I have and the way Gillette 47 Popular and couple Ikons to try it from two great members here.

I will do some review time permitting due my toddler is in terrible two stage.

9. Celar36

Celar36 Über Member

bit of Update

I had two great members here send me some razors for trials.

First:

Gillette 47 Popular. One of most beautiful razors in my opinion!

I can get DFS but for some reason annoys my skin. I will give it 2 more shaves with different blade

Second:

iKon set of 101 and 104

I had use 101 head on iKon handle with my go to blade (used once) London Bridge and it was blood bath (similar I had from Leresche 77). However I decide to use it again with Triton R3 blade after some thinking.

Analysing first shave I came to conclusion that handle is too big and heavy which results in more pressure and getting my first layer of skin (I knon having sensitive and gentle skin is a blast!)

So for second shave I was careful with pressure applied to my face.

One side of face I used OC and second scalloped comb

I got BBS in 3 passes with minor irritation(I never get irritation from NEW LC). However, last pass confirmed that I like scalloped razors (Darwin) as I used on whole face this site of razor.

Conclusion:

Scalloped design of comb is best for me. I do wish Darwins where not so expensive. I gave up on them long time ago. Now I settle on Tradere OC to find and use

I was stupid to sell to my BF UFO Colibri 77. I need to find something similar now.
    I am thinking of buying 101 Head however I would prefer original Punktal 101 razor:)

Also I have Pils razor coming on loan to try it!

So I am finally getting out of Monotony of one razor!

10. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Is it worth trying the Timeless scalloped?

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. Celar36

Celar36 Über Member

@Rowlers I am number 19 on pass around :)

Robyflexx and Rowlers like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Retro Razor Junkie

@Celar36 luckily my disability does not affect my shaving. I have about 80% hearing loss from an automobile accident when I was two years old.

The vast majority of people I interact with have no idea I have a disability, and don't notice that I lip read to understand what they are saying. It makes communication a struggle sometimes, especially if they have a beard or heavy accent.

halvor, Gairdner and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Celar36

Celar36 Über Member

@PLANofMAN I consider myself lucky that I was able to get back control of my right side of body to certain degree. I look for what I have rather what I lack. I am pretty happy person:)

Sorry to hear about your hearing loss. You would struggle to understand me with mine Foreign accent:) Even after almost 10years in UK (since I was 19yrs old at Uni) my accent is still strong

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Retro Razor Junkie

I studied accents in drama class in school, in order to train myself to understand people. Indian and Middle Eastern accents are about the only ones that still give me any trouble.

Robyflexx and Celar36 like this.
  15. Bizzyberry

Bizzyberry Über Member

@Celar36 I have another idea for you, have you tried the Wilkinson Sword Classic? If you do get your Tradere OC or another perfect razor then you might not want to take it with you when travelling so a cheap travel DE might be handy.

The reason for suggesting this is that the blade is not exposed at the sides of the razor which I recall you mentioning was desirable. It is also 2 piece so it might be easier to assemble and disassemble. Best of all it only costs about £5, they were available direct from Wilkinson Sword but last time I looked they were not available direct, ebay has loads.

Robyflexx likes this.