People with Disability wet-shaving

Celar36

Forum GOD!
Hello all,

There is not much talk on forums about people with disability, whom wet shave.
I know many people rather not say they are disable as sometimes this is very private thing.
I myself am disable and never hide it or be embarrassed by it. My right side of body was severely paralysed during my birth and many nerves damage. I struggle for long time to practice it to usable state but is still not even 60% fully operational. I have no feelings in toes, I slightly limp and my right hand have very restricted movements. I cant open a bottle or turn a key with that hand or lift a coin. However is you see me you never guess I am disable. Most people are surprise when they learn I am.

Where am I going with it?

Well I was thinking how other people wet shave when they have disability any tricks they use?

Problem:

-hold a certain soap dish in hand to lather. Lot of them keep slipping from my hand and I cant use brush in my right hand.

Solution:

- Old Spice cup gives my perfect grip, where I know it will to slip or fell down
- I face lather which is better also for my coarse beard

Problem:
-biggest issue is installing blade in 3 piece OC razor (Tried to shave with TTO but cant find a good razor for me to use in that range and never got my hands on Aristocrat 21 OC or 15 OC). While I dont cut myself I cant control pressure with fingers when I hold blade between head and top cap to tight handle. Its paintful.

No solutions as yet with current razor. I cant put nothing between finders and blade as my fingers will not handle and slip. I tried

Problem:

-Sometimes when I struggle I tend to drop my razor.

Solution:

I do all blade changing etc above baby changing table just in case

Problem with no solution.

Cant use straight razor as I cant stretch my skin or swap hands

My go to set for long time is:

-Gillette NI or NEW long comb. Best for my skin issue
-P.160 or old spice
-Brush with good grip Thater 4125/1
-London Bridge or Triton R3

I had on loan from friend in Poland (during my 3 weeks stay there) a Tradere OC not enough It gave me great shaves but it head built was hiding blade side and head built to hold nicely is pure pleasure to use! Hope more producers start covering side of blades. Would make my life more easier:)

I am trying to get Tradere OC but I people keep to them as they are fine razors and I cant blame them.

I am happy that I went into wet shaving hobby as it changed many things in my life but thats another story for another day:)

Best,
Jack

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Not being in your situation, I had the following thoughts:
Have you tried injector razors? Blade changing can be much easier and a lot of people like the way they shave as well.
I'd use mugs with a handle to store my soaps and for lathering. Thumb through handle should help.
I somehow ended up with a Nero Artesia brush that has a hole in the handle:

Even I find myself putting my index finger through the hole while lathering. Rock solid!
No advice on straight razors from me...
Just some random thoughts. You'll know best what works for you...

Bizzyberry

Forum GOD!
A few suggestions:

The feather popular is quite an easy TTO to close and open single handed, but it is very mild so I suspect it might not suit you.

You mention the Mongoose/Cobra, have you tried some of the Guard blades for Feather and Kai? I used these in my SE razors and found them very smooth.

Also I have some Ikon Shavecraft heads and these do not expose the blade at the sides, which sounds similar to the Tradere OC from your description.

Last edited:

Celar36

Forum GOD!
@Bizzyberry I don't go well with solid bar razors for some reasons.

Only solid bar which give me DFS and slight irritation is Feather Portable a truly great razor.

With Injector blades all you mentioned I tried to no avail

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Rather than just chase unobtainium and all the frustration that brings, if you see a razor on passaround which could potentially suit you; try it. You might find something in production which works. All you've got to lose is a few pounds on postage.

Last edited:

Bizzyberry

Forum GOD!
I like open comb razors, one of my favourite razors is my fatip piccolo, however my last shave was with a Gillette Slim adjustable, I had never tried an adjustable before and I was very impressed with how close a shave I got with it, so maybe one of the Merkur adjustable razors might be worth trying, if you have not already done so.

Regarding solid bar and OC razors, my Ikon 101 surprised me how similar both sides feel, even though one side is OC and the other a solid bar you can barely tell each side apart. I have yet to try my Ikon 104 Tech head, this is solid bar but seems to be rated as aggressive as something like an R41. So that might be worth considering.

If you want to try the Ikon 101 or 104, PM me.

missingskin

Forum GOD!
@Celar36 Hi Jack, have you tried a Gillette #77 as that is only a 2 piece and has the same head as the New you are using. Or a Gillette Popular TTO. Out of the newer stuff maybe an Ikon o/c which has got covered blade tabs.
If you want to try either of the Gillettes let me know and I will sort it out.......... :)

Last edited:

Celar36

Forum GOD!
@Celar36 Hi Jack, have you tried a Gillette #77 as that is only a 2 piece and has the same head as the New you are using. Or a Gillette Popular TTO. Out of the newer stuff maybe an Ikon o/c which has got covered blade tabs.
If you want to try either of the Gillettes let me know and I will sort it out.......... :)

Hi,

I have Gillette OC RFB 77 on thin Tech handle and love shave I get from it (Head design allow me nicely wedge top of razor to undo it with mine nail on top of my finger. Hope this make sense!) . I was trying to get Gillette 47~(I think) Popular but to no avail.

I love Gillette NEW Series I think they were best of best from Gillette!

You say 2-piece. Can you send pictures please?:)

Good discussion Jack @Celar36..
Sometimes if I have damp hands I nip up a 3 peice razor by placing the head on the sink and tighenting the handle. The sink "holding" the head...
I do that depends on razor using baby change table:)

I like open comb razors, one of my favourite razors is my fatip piccolo, however my last shave was with a Gillette Slim adjustable, I had never tried an adjustable before and I was very impressed with how close a shave I got with it, so maybe one of the Merkur adjustable razors might be worth trying, if you have not already done so.

Regarding solid bar and OC razors, my Ikon 101 surprised me how similar both sides feel, even though one side is OC and the other a solid bar you can barely tell each side apart. I have yet to try my Ikon 104 Tech head, this is solid bar but seems to be rated as aggressive as something like an R41. So that might be worth considering.

If you want to try the Ikon 101 or 104, PM me.

I had all Gillette Adjustables and Vintage Merkur Progress. All were no go for me in terms of shaving but were easy to handle. Especially Progress.

iKon thing is temping I will do some research!

Last edited:

Robyflexx

Forum GOD!
Not being in your situation, I had the following thoughts:
Have you tried injector razors? Blade changing can be much easier and a lot of people like the way they shave as well.
I'd use mugs with a handle to store my soaps and for lathering. Thumb through handle should help.
I somehow ended up with a Nero Artesia brush that has a hole in the handle:

Even I find myself putting my index finger through the hole while lathering. Rock solid!
No advice on straight razors from me...
Just some random thoughts. You'll know best what works for you...
+1 for injector razor :okay:

Grarea

Forum Plod
@sɐǝɹpu∀ Thats why I like vintage OlD Spice mug is perfect fit for me. I got it from great member here as PIF

About injectors yes I tried Schick's and Moongoose/Cobra but they were irritation my skin sadly. Blade changing was great there thou!( schick)
As the injector system works for you, I wonder if you have tried the injector twin blades?
They aren't cheap, but I found them to be a complete game changer.