Other Linux/Unix users here?

Thug

Let's talk about 6, Baby.
@N_Architect, as @Fox has already mentioned, it all depends on whether you want the look and feel of a "Windows" environment or a more minimalistic system.

If the former, you can look at Linux Mint and Ubuntu and the latter Bunsen Labs.

Please be aware though, if you choose the latter, you would need to learn how to use the command line as for e.g. there is no automatic update for upgrading to new versions of files (unless of course you write an automated bash file) as this is generally done through the command line.

efsk

Forum GOD!
If you're sufficiently versed in Linux and like tinkering go install Arch. No installer, you have to do everything yourself. Does give you the feeling it is acutually YOUR computer everything once you're done.
Not for beginners/faint of heart/those who want things to just work.

D

Deleted member 30

Here's a picture of my desktop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice Thug, I like the calendar at the top, that would sure come in handy. Wish I had a bit more desktop real-estate on that side. That said, I'm so impressed with the Bunsenlabs that I'm seriously thinking about a dedicated Desktop PC build for it.

Thug

Thanks Darron.

The calendar is a program called Conky which is built into the Openbox desktop on BL. I've modified mine quite extensively from the original and there are some great howto's and screenshots on the BL forum.

My "monitor" is actually a 37" HD flat panel TV, so plenty of real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
If you're sufficiently versed in Linux and like tinkering go install Arch. No installer, you have to do everything yourself. Does give you the feeling it is acutually YOUR computer everything once you're done.
Not for beginners/faint of heart/those who want things to just work.
Arch is for beginners!! I used to run Gentoo Linux for quite a few years. You have to (had to?) install and compile everything from source. Setting up a computer would take days while the computer was compiling everything from scratch.
Wireless network drivers were hilarious - getting sleep/hibernate working was nigh on impossible even on a standard IBM Thinkpad.
Once a month one of the packages broke so badly as to render the laptop useless.
On a positive side, the system was blindingly fast when it worked.
I started with Linux in 1993 using SLS Linux 0.99p6 (yes, even before Linux hit version 1.0) - I gave up 20 years later and I'm now a happy MacBook Air user...
(From: "Grandpa talks about the war")

Last edited:

efsk

Forum GOD!
:laugh: gentoo was fun as well. The days part is what annoyed me: I sometimes actually wanted to use my pc, and although I work in IT, I always just had one. Well, one working anyways. 93-4 is around the time I started linux as well, downloading slackware floppyimages from a bbs, tinkering days to get X working. At the time I had QNX and Coherent running as well. At some point in time, I no longer wanted the hassle so ran (open)SuSE since 6.3 until I got my Zenbook: the I2C needed for the touchpad wasn't supported by the then current openSUSEkernel. That's when I moved to Arch. Updates have terribly fecked up my system once, after which I installed snapper. Now every update makes a before snapshot.

slapo

It's... alive!
The main trouble with older computers that could still run web stuff reasonably well is that distributions have staryed dropping x86 support, moving to x86_64. A bit of a shame, but understandable.

Thug

@Fox, I see you decided to join the BL forums. A very knowledgeable bunch of mods on there and if you need any history at all pre BL, you are still able to access the Crunchbang Forums.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I'm back to using Linux now.
I'm writing a web app for a customer and just rented a Linux server. Ubuntu 16.04LTS server... no GUI, just shell access, but I can install whatever I want.
The most amazing thing is that renting the server 24/7 costs the princely sum of 3 Euros - a month (€2.49 plus VAT) - from a reputable provider in Germany. This includes 20TB of internet traffic.
Rather costly actually, considering that hosting five web sites with Google in the cloud costs me 25p a month.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 30

@Fox, I see you decided to join the BL forums. A very knowledgeable bunch of mods on there and if you need any history at all pre BL, you are still able to access the Crunchbang Forums.
Yes, great forum and have been browsing the CB forum as well. Though I failed to get Bunsen Labs installed on my new desktop, so I went with a full install of latest Debian. Very impressed with this and Bunsen really do need to catch up with Crunch Bang ++, they have already released a new version based on the current version of Debian. So much more support for newer hardware.

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
I have used Debian in the past....but for some reason ...I seem to have settled for Manjaro on my Desktop....though this was posted from a Raspberry Pi using their own flavour of Debian.