One blade help

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
For those more experienced with this razor, how do you get close shave around the chin and moustache area? I find these curved areas hard to get a close finish.

wintoid

Out of control
Under the nose, a north-south is fairly pointless with the Oneblade, so I just go east-west and vice versa. It works, albeit not as well as a razor with a more manoeuvrable head.

On the chin, there doesn't seem to be a problem. I just shave and it works. No real difference for me from any other razor.

Len

Forum GOD!
For those more experienced with this razor, how do you get close shave around the chin and moustache area? I find these curved areas hard to get a close finish.
Know your beard growth directions in these areas, and go AGT in these areas. Likewise, shaving south to north in the mustache section works. I say this mainly from personal preference as I only shave AGT with any razor, but with the OneBlade, doing so is safer.

As a second tip, around the jawline and curved areas, learn to "ride the pivot". Let the razor do the work by letting the pivot move freely. In doing so, a *little pressure to maintain the proper angle using the pivot won't hurt. You almost have to unlearn a little bit of what you know from using a DE, in that the head is flat against the face, the razor head will move with the face, and a bit of pressure to maintain such is safe.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thanks chaps, @Len I seem to be utilising the pivot, I try and listen for the click to confirm the pivot is in use. I will remap my growth in those difficult areas, I usually shave WTG and XTG on my cheeks and WTG and ATG on my neck. 2 passes is what I prefer. Hey it's only 2 shaves in and making the right impression so a little more practice and it should be fine.

Reactions: Len

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Know your beard growth directions in these areas, and go AGT in these areas. Likewise, shaving south to north in the mustache section works. I say this mainly from personal preference as I only shave AGT with any razor, but with the OneBlade, doing so is safer.

As a second tip, around the jawline and curved areas, learn to "ride the pivot". Let the razor do the work by letting the pivot move freely. In doing so, a *little pressure to maintain the proper angle using the pivot won't hurt. You almost have to unlearn a little bit of what you know from using a DE, in that the head is flat against the face, the razor head will move with the face, and a bit of pressure to maintain such is safe.
+1 I concur with @Len and his assessment. I still use it as if it were a DE razor, but I do use slightly a little more pressure on the contours of the face as allowing the pivot to take over and roll through those tougher spots. The key I seem to experience is leaving the razor in constant contact with the skin throughout the stoke. The pivot takes care of the rest. Can't speak for the "stache" area much. I keep one....

kenloupa

+1 I concur with @Len and his assessment. I still use it as if it were a DE razor, but I do use slightly a little more pressure on the contours of the face as allowing the pivot to take over and roll through those tougher spots. The key I seem to experience is leaving the razor in constant contact with the skin throughout the stoke. The pivot takes care of the rest. Can't speak for the "stache" area much. I keep one....
What he said. Completely agree.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Firstly very cool as I didn't know you were a Oneblader ; )

Under on nose I find north to south not to bad as I have a longish top lip and south to north if I stretch my lip down gets me nice and close. Chin I have no issue either. I have never stop cartridge shaving so I use a hybrid DE,SE and pivoting cartridge style. Use the lay of the head against your skin, find your angle apply some pressure and let the pivot do the work. and @Len knows he's stuff so he's where I would turn to with the questions on OB

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
So third shave with the OB and third use of the Feather. Blade is starting to dull but not tug. Much better shave today, followed advice and placed the razor head flat to the skin. Unusual angle but heard the pivot working and results were much better. I discarded a DE cutting angle. I very much enjoy the shave feel and noise the razor generates. Synthetic and MdC original, two passes all under 5 mins. Great results.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
So third shave with the OB and third use of the Feather. Blade is starting to dull but not tug. Much better shave today, followed advice and placed the razor head flat to the skin. Unusual angle but heard the pivot working and results were much better. I discarded a DE cutting angle. I very much enjoy the shave feel and noise the razor generates. Synthetic and MdC original, two passes all under 5 mins. Great results.
Is this a purchased OB or a loaner @Nishy? I'm curious where you will place it in your rotation pecking order

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Is this a purchased OB or a loaner @Nishy? I'm curious where you will place it in your rotation pecking order
Hiya I purchased the OB. It is really hard to place the OB. It isn't the most efficient, nor is it the least, somewhere in the middle. However I have only had 4 shaves with the razor using a Feather (same blade) and GEM once (today). I like the design and ease of loading/unloading. In my collection it would probably sit in the middle tier, in my SE collection it would be the same or above average. It's still early days so obviously it's rank could change.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
So used the GEM blade for the first time today. I think the feather is a bit thinner? Leading itself to suit the pressure + pivot action better. Again I'm just part guessing here through experience. The next use with the GEM will be more tentative and perhaps using the razor more like a fixed head DE. I could also pass the blade through a cork just to take the 'edge' off. I did enjoy the feel of the blade but nicked myself a few times. I will have a few more uses with the GEM and then decide on my preferred blade.

halvor

a most elusive fish
@Nishy Believe the GEM will only improve with shaves. For me the absolute best shave was a fresh FHS. But then came GEM on two or three, and it stays smooth and efficient for several shaves, as opposed to the FHS - as you have experienced. Still, for some reason I preferred the FHS.

Mr_Smartepants

Genius Member
I easily get a week's worth of shaves with a Gem, but only a single decent shave with a FHS (one and done). I have stretched the Gem to 10 shaves and could probably go further but why push it. I've never corked a Gem.
For me, the OneBlade can serve as a daily driver, but it's uncommon that I get a BBS with it. It's just not efficient enough for my wire-stubble. I keep it loaded and on standby in case I'm having a bad shave from another razor/blade.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
I easily get a week's worth of shaves with a Gem, but only a single decent shave with a FHS (one and done). I have stretched the Gem to 10 shaves and could probably go further but why push it. I've never corked a Gem.
For me, the OneBlade can serve as a daily driver, but it's uncommon that I get a BBS with it. It's just not efficient enough for my wire-stubble. I keep it loaded and on standby in case I'm having a bad shave from another razor/blade.
1+

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Had a good shave with the OB and a GEM on its second use. It certainly is better for me to respect the OB as a DE, when using the GEM blade. I definitely feeler safer with the feather, especially if wanting to add pressure and make use of the pivot. This blade was also more comfortable. Maybe confidence with the GEM will come over time. I am choosing the OB before many of my other razors of recent.