OC razors

GoHabs

Forum GOD!
I prefer Solid Bar razors. Going over the same area more than once to remove the left behind lather can lead to irritation (for me).

R181

Grumpy old man
I prefer Solid Bar razors. Going over the same area more than once to remove the left behind lather can lead to irritation (for me).
If you are leaving lather behind using an OC razor you are likely using a wrong angle. I normally have no problem with lather being left behind when using an OC razor.

Bob

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I'm not sure the reputation of OC razors is entirely correct. I believe blade gap, teeth shape, cutting angle and weight all play a part in how aggressive a razor is. For example I have a few SB razors that are more aggressive than some of my OC razors and vice versa. Efficiency is also not limited to being most efficient when considering OC razors in my collection.

R181

Grumpy old man
I'm not sure the reputation of OC razors is entirely correct. I believe blade gap, teeth shape, cutting angle and weight all play a part in how aggressive a razor is. For example I have a few SB razors that are more aggressive than some of my OC razors and vice versa. Efficiency is also not limited to being most efficient when considering OC razors in my collection.
Yes, there are mild OC razors for sure just as there are aggressive solid bar razors. If you want an aggressive solid bar razor just crank a Gillette FatBoy up to 9 and use a Feather blade. Then there are some DEs that are just efficient without feeling overly aggressive. Two that fit that description for me are the Merkur 37c slant and the Merkur 45 Bakelite. There is something for everyone out.

Bob

I like an OC for variety.. I have Wolfman, Blackbird, Timeless 0.95 and ATT R2...all great shavers for me. :thumbsup:
The Blackbird feels the most aggressive (it's a beast ,very efficient) and it's between the Timeless and Wolfman for smoothness...

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
If you are leaving lather behind using an OC razor you are likely using a wrong angle. I normally have no problem with lather being left behind when using an OC razor.

Bob
This. If you're using it properly there shouldn't be lather left behind, if you're using the wrong angle that's probably why you're getting irritated.

slapo

It's... alive!
I think what a razor feels like is also determined a lot by the angle, especially if there's a range of available angles with a given head. In my experience, there is likely to be little difference in the shave feel when using a shallow angle. When using a steep angle or somewhere in between, however, there can be substantial differences, because it seems to me that an open comb mostly really combs and directs hair whereas a safety bar can literally bend hair to serve it to the blade. Sometimes it just ruffles them, though. Lather and hair thickness comes into play here as well. Flow through is a bit different, too. I think this is why for me, an OC is more versatile, as the combing copes a bit better with longer hair. On the other hand, a safety bar feels safer and nicer on my moles and other sensitive areas.
It's kind of fun to watch these effects when playing with razors and technique on my shoulders. :-D

Having said that, the Virginia Shaving closed comb has enough of a blade gap to make clogging it pretty difficult. Kind of like an EJ/Merkur head after growth hormone treatment in a bootcamp. It's one of the reasons why the iKon 104 doesn't tempt me much.
I have a few OC heads that beat it in efficiency, but they are rather beastly.

slapo

It's... alive!
Shaved with a Giesen and Forsthoff OC for the first time today with a Timor blade (4th use)... this looks like a beginning of a lasting friendship. I could feel the blade, but it was oh so gentle despite me rushing somewhat. No irritation, nicks or weepers just a shave between DFS and BBS in two passes.
Oh and my iKon Shavecraft 101 head arrived today. Started testing razors... ended up with a mostly shaven belly, shoulders and upper thighs. Looks like someone tried prepping me for a surgery, but, darn it, it was fun.

Last edited:

Redrooster

Ive got the att se2 which i enjoy using with the kai mild blades dont seem to notice the teeth.Also got an att m2 which i tend to use astra blades with again i dont notice the teeth.I think i like the open comb razors for the astetics look kind of thing not really noticed a difference shave wise.

missingskin

Forum GOD!
Started testing razors... ended up with a mostly shaven belly, shoulders and upper thighs. Looks like someone tried prepping me for a surgery, but, darn it, it was fun.

Now that's dedication for you ............:laugh::laugh::laugh:

After trying numerous razors (not the expensive ones) I'm with you on the preference for OCs @Nishy .
My fave at the moment (indeed for the last few years) is the Gillette Old style head. I started with a Gold plated Gillette Old two piece but found the handle too small and light so now I use a Velvet copy from a three piece on a Braveheart handle. It gives a lovely shave when you get the angle right, smooth and close. I have a thick beard especially under the chin and most of the razors I've tried struggle with it but I get a perfectly acceptable (for work) shave with one pass with this set up and Rapira blades (Pink and Blue).

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Quite. I believe it to be a total misconception based on vintage Gillette razors where the older typically more aggressive ones happen to also be OC. Gillette's switch to SB was down to ease of manufacture and the later razors being milder was incidental.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Quite. I believe it to be a total misconception based on vintage Gillette razors where the older typically more aggressive ones happen to also be OC. Gillette's switch to SB was down to ease of manufacture and the later razors being milder was incidental.
Interesting!