New Member to ATG

D

Deleted member 30

Greetings Fox! I am still trying to get used to the X3. Many folks feel there is a bit of an adjustment for using this slant, vice other slants like the German 37 or my Hoffritz vintage slant, which I have little problems with, although Feather blades may not be the best blade for me in a slant.

I performed my first and second shave with the X3 using a Feather blade, which was a disaster for me on both occasions. My third shave was a little better using a Super Max Super Platnium blade and as little pressure as possible. A lot lies blood, yet a lot of redness and skin irritation after the alum block. All three Shaves were with hot water and Pre de Provence 63shaving soap using a small pure Badger brush.

Today, I am going to try my first cold shave and use the X3 with a Super Max Super Platnium blade, TOBS Mr. Taylor's scent shave cream with my Parker Silvertip Badger brush in order to see if this will yield better results and give cold shaving a go. I shall share my results.

Fox, how do you like your X3? What have your experiences been using it? I would really like to own this razor, if you will, yet I do realize some razors just do not work well for some. We shall see.
Hi Don, interestingly I have had the opposite experience to you with the X3. Only fantastic results using the Astra blades, the ones in the green packs. I do have many shaves with this setup under my belt, no redness or nicks that I can recall, just all smooth and good. The X3 replaced a 1912 SE that I was using as my daily a few months back, just before Christmas I think now. Yes this is true Don, there were a few people here that didn't get on with the X3. I noticed some ended up in the trade section of this forum, which I felt was a shame.

Yes Feathers are notoriously known to be the sharpest DE blade out there. I have used them and get along with them but only with my old Gillette Red Flare Tip, I have tried with other razors but with disastrous results.

Certainly worth a shot with the Astra blades Don, PM me your address and I will send you some along with some soap to try out. :)

I have never heard of the German 37 or Hoffritz slants before, do you have any photo's of these please? Would be interesting to see these Don.

All the best
Darron

DChalfy

Hi Don, interestingly I have had the opposite experience to you with the X3. Only fantastic results using the Astra blades, the ones in the green packs. I do have many shaves with this setup under my belt, no redness or nicks that I can recall, just all smooth and good. The X3 replaced a 1912 SE that I was using as my daily a few months back, just before Christmas I think now. Yes this is true Don, there were a few people here that didn't get on with the X3. I noticed some ended up in the trade section of this forum, which I felt was a shame.

Yes Feathers are notoriously known to be the sharpest DE blade out there. I have used them and get along with them but only with my old Gillette Red Flare Tip, I have tried with other razors but with disastrous results.

Certainly worth a shot with the Astra blades Don, PM me your address and I will send you some along with some soap to try out. :)

I have never heard of the German 37 or Hoffritz slants before, do you have any photo's of these please? Would be interesting to see these Don.

All the best
Darron
Hi Darron, I am happy to report that today's cold water shave using the X3 was a marvelous improvement using the above mentioned products. I went for a three pass shave in order to see how far I was able to go with the X3 using a cream and cold water. I followed the technique outlined in a book published in 1905 called, "Shaving Made Easy". Here is a link to it:
http://ia800206.us.archive.org/22/items/shavingmadeeasyw0020th/shavingmadeeasyw0020th.pdf

I received an Omega 49 Boar bristle brush and am currently breaking it in. I believe it should give me a more robust, thicker lather with my soaps.

I will take images of the Hoffritz and German 37 and post them for you straight away.