Muehle Brush

brenton1979

Über Member
Anybody know which this is? Just looking for knot size so I can order another.
Thank you!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

halvor

a most elusive fish
What he said ^^

Measure the opening and ask Muhle which knot you should get, as it varies how producers define brush/knot sizes (opening on handle or actual measure of the knot or its epoxy base; obviously, pushing a 22mm knot into a 22mm opening may present you with a problem...)

S

Steve Bowles

The handle seems to be a part of the Stylo range, but I didn't see any horn handles. It may be discontinued, but the knots are a standard 21mm.

brenton1979

Über Member
The handle seems to be a part of the Stylo range, but I didn't see any horn handles. It may be discontinued, but the knots are a standard 21mm.
Thank you, I obviously measured wrong as I came up with 20mm. Now to find a knot :)

R181

Grumpy old man
Be careful when you order a knot as some knot makers measure knot size at the base of the knot and typically the knot bulges out slightly above the glue base. If you measure the opening the knot size can be 1 or 2mms smaller than that to accommodate that slight bulge.

I think Muhle also made a line of brushes that you could change the knot in by unthreading it and rethreading a new one in. Is there any threading in the hole for the knot?

Bob

brenton1979

Über Member
Be careful when you order a knot as some knot makers measure knot size at the base of the knot and typically the knot bulges out slightly above the glue base. If you measure the opening the knot size can be 1 or 2mms smaller than that to accommodate that slight bulge.

I think Muhle also made a line of brushes that you could change the knot in by unthreading it and rethreading a new one in. Is there any threading in the hole for the knot?

Bob
Hi Bob, thank you for your input. I also read that you could rethread them but no, I don't see any threads. I used a Dremel tools to grind out the old knot. Now I'm wondering if the knots you see on AliExpress are any good. I assume most purchased online are sourced from there anyway.

R181

Grumpy old man
Hi Bob, thank you for your input. I also read that you could rethread them but no, I don't see any threads. I used a Dremel tools to grind out the old knot. Now I'm wondering if the knots you see on AliExpress are any good. I assume most purchased online are sourced from there anyway.

It has been a while since I have re knotted a brush so I really can't say which knots are any good now with any certainty. I am assuming that you are looking to a badger knot and that brings up the issue of what you want the brush to feel like in use. That would entail knowing what grade of badger you prefer, do you want a 2 or 3 band badger and what loft to knot size ratio you prefer among others. Lots to consider.

Bob

brenton1979

Über Member
It has been a while since I have re knotted a brush so I really can't say which knots are any good now with any certainty. I am assuming that you are looking to a badger knot and that brings up the issue of what you want the brush to feel like in use. That would entail knowing what grade of badger you prefer, do you want a 2 or 3 band badger and what loft to knot size ratio you prefer among others. Lots to consider.

Bob
Considering I don't know the difference between 2 and 3 band... I'd say you are right! Who knew shaving was so complicated. I appreciate you taking the time. Cheers

S

Steve Bowles

If I were you, I'd consider shelling out the few quid to get the knot from Muhle, or just ordering another brush. They're around £30 for a synth.

R181

Grumpy old man
Considering I don't know the difference between 2 and 3 band... I'd say you are right! Who knew shaving was so complicated. I appreciate you taking the time. Cheers

Well, it is as complicated or simple as you make it. You could even put the project aside till you do some more research and/or buy some of the less expensive badger brushes to see what you do like in a knot. Then there is always just taking a pig in a poke and see if you get lucky and get what you wanted. Good luck.

Bob