1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

most elegant looking soaps

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by KAV, Aug 13, 2017.

1. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Forums have whipped up debate and opinion on soap performance, unit cost, reformulations, quirks in lathering, environmental impacts and sometimes interesting history. I'm plotting financial malfeasance to acquire a Bideford soap container and thought the presentation of a soap stirs our inner magpie as much as any rational consideration.
    Dr Selby ( if it becomes readily available again) is a yeoman performing soap and the container, even though plastic has a Art Nouveau charisma approaching a poor man's lalique.
    Mitchell's always pleases; the ceramic container, puck wrapped in pleated paper all sold in a box matching the classic label always unchains my inner Walter Mitty. I'm briefly Laird Kavanaugh shaving while my morning paper is ironed and sterling tea service with scones brought in by Sir John Geilgud trying not to betray news my advice to #10 Downing was ignored.
    There are many others, some with logos more colourful than a collectable California orange packing crate label, lovely cursive script product name stamped into soap itself or wooden bowls lovingly upgraded post puck with stains and sealers. Or it could be something humble but with long association of family use you know and depend on.

ajc347 likes this.
  2. halvor

halvor Forum GOD!

Boellis, Nuavia and Czech & Speake all have nice bowls. I sort of like the L’Occitane Cade tin, too, but I haven’t actually had one so I’m not sure how it feels in hand. I agree the Selby plastic box has something to it.

Of the more ‘common’ plastic containers, SMN is nice and different from others. MdC also has its place on an open shelf in my bathroom.

Len likes this.
  3. Len

Len Guru

The two best presented soap brands, IMO, offered for your consideration (not my pictures):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. MdC deserves an honorable mention as well...

ojustme, Rowlers, Randomangle and 6 others like this.
  4. DamianJ

DamianJ Guru

I agree that the C&S containers are stunning. Yet to try one though.

Len likes this.
  5. Sid James

Sid James Legendary Member

Best presented soap brand? Boellis.

Dr Watson likes this.
  6. Nick_S

Nick_S Atypical Audi Driver

The Mitchell's puck I must say (and the Kent) is very nicely presented.

I do love how the T&H soaps come in the wooden soap bowls, as do some other brands.

7. DR Harris, Floris, Penhaligon's, LPL (I think the tins look classy) , Czech& Speake, MdC old glass jar,L'Occitane Cade UFO soap holder, i coloniali terracotta bowl sadly discontinued and MWF ceramic dish looks very classy and bucolic to me.

8. chris.hale

chris.hale Legendary Member

Most of the ones I would have mentioned already have been, however I really like the Fitjar jars.

Shaverrific666 likes this.
  9. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

The presentation of the puck itself IMO goes to Van Yulay. With regards to the packaging SV's wooden sunken containers and TOBS wooden bowls are lovely. The old spice mug is also a favourite.

Shaverrific666 likes this.
  10. Lann

Lann Guru

I love the look of the MWF ceramic dish and the Old Spice mug also. I think the label design on @phoenixandbeau soap tubs, particularly from Spitfire onwards deserves a mention.

Burry, Acer89, BlacknTan and 4 others like this.
  11. Of course! Fitjar Islands soap in the wooden bowl looks great too. :thumbsup:

12. Lord Fatboy

Lord Fatboy Not a Guru

The browness of B & M LaVanille...

13. Dr Watson

Dr Watson Legendary Member

No doubt everybody has a different idea of elegance but for me, I would have to say leave it to the Italians...

[​IMG]

ojustme, JayGee, BlacknTan and 6 others like this.
  14. phoenixandbeau

phoenixandbeau Guru Artisan

Why thank you, sir :) We really appreciate it. Kerry.

halvor likes this.
  15. pjgh

pjgh Forum GOD!

Mitchell's Wool Fat

Grarea likes this.