More beard growth = Closer shave?

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
I don't think this is a one size fits all thing. Shaving removes layers of skin which can cause irritation. On the other hand not shaving allows for greater accumulation of dirt and oils which can get in the way of a clean shave. Your skin may vary. I prefer a daily shave.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

R181

Grumpy old man
In the past I always used to skip a few days between shaves (mainly down to laziness!) but for a good while now I've been shaving daily and my skin, especially neck is in far better condition than ever. Explanation for this? I have no idea, it just works for me.
Been a daily shaver most of my 65 years and can't understand why my skin never gave me trouble unless I botched a shave up if it is indeed better if you skip a day in between. No explanation for that either as it just works for me.

Bob

R181

Grumpy old man
I don't think this is a one size fits all thing. Shaving removes layers of skin which can cause irritation. On the other hand not shaving allows for greater accumulation of dirt and oils which can get in the way of a clean shave. Your skin may vary. I prefer a daily shave.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Yes, one size does not fit all since people have varying skin sensitivity. If you shave right the skin that gets removed should be the dead stuff only. I do not think that would cause irritation as you are only getting rid of something dead that is not really needed. In the end you do what works for yourself but I would not assume the way I do things is universally the right way.

Bob

Depending on razor and blade... an aggressive shaver and a sharp blade is too much for me on a daily basis, however after 2-3 days with this set up I get a great shave with zero irritation.
So in this way, due to the lack of irritation and so forth, it feels like a "better" , "closer" shave...close to BBS.
Daily shaving for a acceptable clean and tidy shave a mild or mid aggressive razor works best, though I don't get BBS.

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
I shave daily, but had to give it a miss for a couple of days recently. It certainly feels a lot closer, cleaner and smoother after shaving that crop off. I have had episodes of beard and "Piccadilly Weeper" growing in the past, but now find them terribly itchy at all stages including full-grown.
Thus, I think that the pleasant effects of mowing down stubble are, in my case, largely psychological.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Can someone explain why it is automatically assumed that your skin is better off if you skip a day shaving? If you are shaving properly what harm to your skin are you doing?

Bob
Precisely it's easy to throw around keyword bingo terms, such as ''trauma" however without any proof of skin trauma, beyond redness (in other words without direct instruction from a dermatologist) it may not be the case, thus wrongly preached.

Similar to vitamins why people take vitamins without having had a blood test is beyond me, however everyone to their own.

Lastly we as wet shavers proclaim it is the best form of shaving for us and in general. If this were the case surely a daily shave should not affect the skin (given good skin condition). Perhaps a better form of shaving exists for the particular individual.

Now in retrospect I don't shave daily, but can without irritation. I do get more comfortable shaves after a day or two growth and that is solely down to the fact I can be sloppy with my technique and lather. Without scientific proof I can only judge my own 'shave quality' hypothetically as indicated in my first post. I feel strongly about making claims that can't be proven, as otherwise we aren't preaching the correct trail of thought.

jb7

Bloke
Can someone explain why it is automatically assumed that your skin is better off if you skip a day shaving? If you are shaving properly what harm to your skin are you doing?

Bob
I think people are speaking from their own personal experience, it shouldn't be a one size fits all thing.

From my personal experience, my skin can't cope with shaving every day... shaving exfoliates skin and shaving every day just ends up irritating my skin. If I leave it for a couple of days between shaves, then the shave is fantastic. I've also cut down to a 2 pass shave only, skin feels happier for that too. Other people may have skin like an old pair of leather boots, and they can easily have a 3-4 pass shave twice a day if they choose.

Same with the weather - if I go out on a bitterly cold and windy day, I can come home with dry and irritated skin. Other people wouldn't be affected in the slightest.

bazemk1979

Veteran
yes more bear growth = closer shave, I know this because I shave daily and if by some miracle I skip a day or 2 I can tell the shave is better and closer when skipping those days vs shaving daily

Marcos

Forum GOD!
I for one don’t have whiskers that grow fast enough to shave everyday. Attempting the task just leads to problems. I usually shave every 3 days or so and that works great for me. Also as the hairs grow they become more pliable...as opposed to being more rigid and stiff when super short and standing on end. I find the pliable softer hair cuts easier.