Modern SE Injectors V Old school - thoughts.

MPF9

Forum GOD!
Very interesting question @MPF9. Firstly I'm new to the whole SE experience so opinions may be relatively in-experienced.

I have tried the Asylum RX and sold it, I also own the ATT SE1 and SE2 (1st version) as well as the Cobra Classic, a 1912 and the General.

What I found beyond longevity, stainless steel SE razors (complete) often add too much weight. I can understand tolerance accuracy when considering DE razors to hold the more flimsy blade taut. However, SE blades are already stiffer.

In retrospect the aluminium design of the General (in addition to cutting angle and blade exposure) leads to a very mild yet efficient shave. The ATT SE1 in comparison is more apparent on the face (still mild similar to a ATT M plated DE) but equally as efficient. It isn't as forgiving as the General for me.

The Cobra Classic (with a Feather Pro) and the ATT SE2 (with a Kai Pink) are spot on for me. The CC when cutting exhibits somewhat of a 'tinny' cutting feel. It doesn't feel cheap just more of a hollow cutting sound if that makes sense. The ATT SE2 feels solid but is less forgiving, hence the milder blade. Of the two my favourite is the CC.

What I am getting at is with the heavier (modern) stainless steel SE razors, unless the cutting angle, head shape and blade exposure are correct for me, the added weight does nothing but add aggression. Yes the SS adds longevity. But what use is that if you don't like the shave it provides?

On a side note with respect to customer service, which I believe adds to one's experience. The Asylum RX failed. When the head started rattling it was also my first experience of SS tolerances failing. Add to that the maker's response, "some will and some won't rattle" and that it "doesn't effect the shave" seemed like a cop out to fix an apparent issue. The shave did change for me from comfortable to painful once the rattling began. The razor as some mention is like a straight on a stick, comes across as derogatory towards straight razors IMO. My straights never scrape, which the Asylum did over a wide range of angles and blades, making it far too aggressive.
Hi Nishy,
Really considered response, particularly regards the more exotic newcomers,which as a poor OAP I have not yet tried !!
regards
Mike B

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Hi Nishy,
Really considered response, particularly regards the more exotic newcomers,which as a poor OAP I have not yet tried !!
regards
Mike B
It certainly is interesting to note that the negative perception of marketing hype projected by Gillette is now apparent amongst several vendors. The Cobra range is certainly the best money can buy IMO.