Merkur Progress revelation.

Irfan

Forum GOD!
Your mileage may vary but, I'm struggling to dislike this razor on any point.
The head guides you to use the best angle, it feels nice and solid, balanced well and, well, just pretty damn good.

pimple8

Forum GOD!
I like this razor very much. Even though i don't need it, or it's adjustability to be precise.
I find it quite harsh and aggressive on 5 and quite inefficient below 3. So basically i use it on 3 and 4 all the time. And it shaves very good on that setting. Plus i like the short handle design. Would prefer the metal knob but not worth paying 20 more pounds for it.

Irfan

Forum GOD!
I like this razor very much. Even though i don't need it, or it's adjustability to be precise.
I find it quite harsh and aggressive on 5 and quite inefficient below 3. So basically i use it on 3 and 4 all the time. And it shaves very good on that setting. Plus i like the short handle design. Would prefer the metal knob but not worth paying 20 more pounds for it.
Three and a half for me so far. Three shaves now, all excellent.

CowboyTN

Veteran
Howdy,
To me, the moustache-shaped head is the most beautiful thing about this razor and many tried to copy/mimic (yes you parker variant), but in my opinion they came nowhere near the perfection that Merkur achieved. Performance wise, words don't do justice, it's an excellent shaver, great performance, very comfortable (I got the long handle version 'cause I got large hands), easy to find the angle, and the list can continue.

The plastic dial... well... if I'm honest it doesn't bother me and no, I'm not crazy about it either. I'll admit I looked at the mergress too and thought about buying it, but in the end a razor with this much history deserves to be in its original shape (at least in my den) :)

Just look at it! Beautiful!!

E22771A9-857E-412E-8B38-8B6E4B030E5A.jpg FB2F5D48-9F49-4867-9603-F9A8A0DAFDD2.jpg

Have a blessed evening folks!

vtmax

Forum GOD!
I just went back to the Progress head (Mergress) this past week after almost two months with other razors, most notably the new (and wonderful) Paradigm 17-4. The Progress head is perfection in my opinion. The bend in the blade, lather channels, everything really. Classic design that shaves beautifully.

I love the short handle and streamlined head. The Parker Variant is a nice one too but I found the handle a bit too long and the head bulkier than the Progress. Must have imo!

Nav

Forum GOD!
It's my favorite razor and has been ever since I first used it back in 2012.

I really regret selling my vintage progress.

I have both the long and standard models...both set at 3.

The blade bend and cutting angle are the main points why I consider it to be the best razor ever!

mbarno

Forum GOD!
Having just moved house, I had to pack away all my shaving items, barring the ones I was going to use each day. The ones I kept out were Schick & Merkur Progress. Smoothness of the Schick and the flexibility of the Merkur were the reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Bumping up an old thread. I got a Progress courtesy of an ATG member and free due to a split in the no dial which does not effect the shave. Due to other acquisitions I have only tried this for the first time today. New Polsilver SI and away we go. Started sensible on 2.5 and got a marvellous 2 passes from this razor. Could have happily stopped there if it were not for that never ending quest for BBS perfection. Played with a 3rd pass / buff on 2 and 3 setting. Started to feel more aggressive especially against on the top lip and neck and the alum certainly gave feedback face wide post shave. That said, the resulting shave was very smooth. No damage. I think you have to pay attention with this as it can easily bite on a higher setting but I was pleased with the result. If anything, a tad better than the Parker variant although I would need to go back to that and try again with a new Polsilver if that is what I did not use before.

Recommended.