Lee Sabini

MPH

Forum GOD!
I consider M&F to be the "one that got away" for me. I emailed Lee a handful of times, but never got a response. I don't like the way he worked, so I stopped emailing.

I felt very lucky to get a second hand blonde badger 2xl, but was surprised how low the loft was and I simply didn't like it. I then bought a couple of early Paladins, one finest, one blonde and low and behold I just didn't really like them either. Im not really sure why, I think it was the density and knot shape, but it just didn't feel good on my face. I sold them both.

I wish I got to try one of the good ones... Just to see what everyone raves about, but for me I am happy to let this one go. If you try 3 and don't think they are up to much, then I doubt the 4th, 5th etc are going to be much better.

Shame, as I once REALLY wanted a zebra or candy stripe M&F. :-(

Slant_Fan

Über Member
The old Rooney Finests, by Lee, were great brushes. At some point he announced he could no longer access that bristle, and he came out with the Heritage line. A fine brush in its own right, but no comparison to the old Finests. It is a mystery to me why Lee cannot access this hair any longer. Did a species of badger become extinct ? I've had a couple of M&F brushes. They were good, but not delightfully scritchy like the old Finests so I sold them. If it is too scritchy for everyone else it is just right for me. :)

R181

Grumpy old man
No magic for in owning a Lee Sabini brush for me. Would never put up with hassle of trying to own one especially after they have been elevated to some type of holy grail status. I stay away from items that have reached that status as I don't like to pay in good part for exclusivity.

Bob

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
I have two of the Brad Sears/M&F version. Both rank up with my favorites. On my 2nd brush (M&F Style 3) Nancy (the brains behind Brad) looked and found enough to make one more handle for me from their sample(?) rods. Nice email with holding the rod for my answer for a few days. FYI - my answer was closer to a few minutes and the brush arrived a few weeks before the promised date.

KAV

There is a small company of shaving products that have assumed near mythic status and equal availability. Lee Sabini Knots and Wolfman Razors easily first to mind with most enthusiasts. This has led to no little 'sour grapes' by some and
'In your face, I have a whole collection because I have a big-------------ego' from others. We can also add some very nasty and blatant scalping left unchecked by the community as a whole. It's foolish to find fault with literal one man operations because they cannot supply Unicorns by the gross or spend half their waking hours answering emails.
Are they worth it? for many of us yes. Will we be thought less of not possessing one or MORE? NO. There are far to many other choices unique in their own unique way. Some are classics IE Plisson or instant classics like Paladin in brushes.

morr

Forum GOD!
The old Rooney Finests, by Lee, were great brushes. At some point he announced he could no longer access that bristle, and he came out with the Heritage line. A fine brush in its own right, but no comparison to the old Finests. It is a mystery to me why Lee cannot access this hair any longer. Did a species of badger become extinct ? I've had a couple of M&F brushes. They were good, but not delightfully scritchy like the old Finests so I sold them. If it is too scritchy for everyone else it is just right for me. :)
Nice info, I was wondering why there are no more Rooney finests.
I always wondered is M&F a successor to Rooney or is there a possibility Rooney will make a comeback...

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Wasn't there something about him being driven as good as underground by Animal Rights people ? I seem to recall something like that being mentioned sometime ago.

I know it can get pretty nasty when animal rights become involved. I worked with someone who was on the active side of animal rights and a know figure. A couple of times he got up to a dead fox being left by the pro hunt people. So if this is right you can't blame the guy for keeping a low profile.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Compared to the SV brushes, Lee's early Paladin knots, were less dense, but not by a great deal. In terms of hair, my brush exhibits gel tips, saying the my SV brush is super soft too, no issues with any scratch or scritch. It is the balance of backbone to tip softness, apparent even as a bulb knot that impresses me with regards to Lee's knots. You never know we might one day do a group buy.

One thing to note, as mentioned before in this thread I can so buy a Shavemac knot with set dimensions that could mimic my Sabini knot to at least a 95% accuracy. Probably the case with other manufacturers as well, I just haven't tried. The bulb knot I have has minimal splay, it is well constructed and yet doesn't hog lather or feel pointed on the face. Well worth a try, if easily accessible.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Wasn't there something about him being driven as good as underground by Animal Rights people ? I seem to recall something like that being mentioned sometime ago.

I know it can get pretty nasty when animal rights become involved. I worked with someone who was on the active side of animal rights and a know figure. A couple of times he got up to a dead fox being left by the pro hunt people. So if this is right you can't blame the guy for keeping a low profile.
This is the stuff I'm after! Even if it's not true, it increases the mystery further.:happy:

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Compared to the SV brushes, Lee's early Paladin knots, were less dense, but not by a great deal. In terms of hair, my brush exhibits gel tips, saying the my SV brush is super soft too, no issues with any scratch or scritch. It is the balance of backbone to tip softness, apparent even as a bulb knot that impresses me with regards to Lee's knots. You never know we might one day do a group buy.

One thing to note, as mentioned before in this thread I can so buy a Shavemac knot with set dimensions that could mimic my Sabini knot to at least a 95% accuracy. Probably the case with other manufacturers as well, I just haven't tried. The bulb knot I have has minimal splay, it is well constructed and yet doesn't hog lather or feel pointed on the face. Well worth a try, if easily accessible.
Thanks @Nishy much appreciated.:thumbsup: It helps when you have something like the (mighty) Saponificio Varesino brushes to compare them to. Nothing has surpassed it yet…..:wink:

Dipesh

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Lee's brushes are some of the best, if not the best shaving brushes in the world.

I have a fair few and love them so much. Back around 3-4 years back Lee and I used to speak a lot.

I've not read this thread fully as I'm just about to go to a meeting but will jot some thoughts later on today.

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
I had a Wellington Truefitt & Hill brush for a while, likely nothing to compare with high end brushes branded M&F (although I paid it £69 in the London shop), but was supposed to be a Rooney. So, for a period of time, Mr. Sabini owned and used the R.A. Rooney and Sons name/brand and supplied some of the high street shaving gear London shops. It was an OK brush, but nothing to write home about, then I converted to synthetic so I am quite biased now.

On the other hand, I have read many stories or bad feedback from people (not based in UK or USA) who have bought from him and could not reach him afterwards to solve problems in relation to the purchased brush. Therefore, the after sale service may be so so for overseas buyers...

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thanks @Nishy much appreciated.:thumbsup: It helps when you have something like the (mighty) Saponificio Varesino brushes to compare them to. Nothing has surpassed it yet…..:wink:
It's a great brush for sure. I would love them to bring out a bulb shaped knot. Especially if they have the longer white portioned hair. Hard to tell, given the fan being cut as it is. The density is spot on. Handle has great weight and aesthetics, visual as well as practical. It is definitely amongst my best fan brushes.