Lathering Mystic Water.

Gordy

Legendary Member
I'm going to be using Mystic Waters next. I've seen some amazing lathers using it, anything in particular I need to do?

Dipesh

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Clue is in the name, you need mystic water.

Only joking! No idea myself but I hear it's tough but worth it.

Gordy

Legendary Member
I've watched whatever videos on YouTube, perused five forums but all give differing answers.

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Gordy, MW is an excellent soap for some and not others. It's an incredibly slick soap and post shave is about as good as it gets. But the lack of coconut oil in the formulation which affords it this greatness is also its downside to ease of lathering, especially in harder water. MW soaps work brilliantly, the softer the water.
The trick with MW is to load your brush, heavily, starting out with more of a drier brush than a soaking wet one. Water should be added slowly to the mix. It's also a soap that loves paintbrush strokes of the brush to build it. Michelle, the owner of MW products, has recently added sodium citrate, a chelating agent, to assist lather building.
If this doesn't work, then your only other option is to emigrate to Vancouver where Celestino lives.:roflmao:

jb7

Bloke
I own a few tubs that I bought about 3-4 years ago - I've never truly managed a decent lather out of any of them.

Maybe we should arrange a pass-around and call it 'The Mystic Lather Challenge' and see how people get on. Anyone up for it? I'll donate a tub.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Gordy, MW is an excellent soap for some and not others. It's an incredibly slick soap and post shave is about as good as it gets. But the lack of coconut oil in the formulation which affords it this greatness is also its downside to ease of lathering, especially in harder water. MW soaps work brilliantly, the softer the water.
The trick with MW is to load your brush, heavily, starting out with more of a drier brush than a soaking wet one. Water should be added slowly to the mix. It's also a soap that loves paintbrush strokes of the brush to build it. Michelle, the owner of MW products, has recently added sodium citrate, a chelating agent, to assist lather building.
If this doesn't work, then your only other option is to emigrate to Vancouver where Celestino lives.:roflmao:
Celestino is your man!

halvor

a most elusive fish
Believe Celestino got the technique from Merkur Man? Or am I wrong?

Anyway, here is the latter's method:

Purbeck

Forum GOD!
How odd, I just used this. Lather building was as easy as any other soap however collapsed very quickly. I had to keep re building after each pass. Must be my hard as nails water. Lovely soap while it lasts.

Gordy

Legendary Member
Spent a while this afternoon creating some extremely lovely test lathers. I think I've managed to suss Mystic Water lathering. How it shaves yet remains to be seen, but extremely promising.
The best lather I had out of six soaps today was Wickham's 1912. Grandstaff ran it a close second though.

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
How odd, I just used this. Lather building was as easy as any other soap however collapsed very quickly. I had to keep re building after each pass. Must be my hard as nails water. Lovely soap while it lasts.
May I ask if this was the older formulation, or the newer one with sodium citrate, recently released? The newer one only came out a few weeks ago.

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Believe Celestino got the technique from Merkur Man? Or am I wrong?
Celestino has been using MW soaps far longer than Nathan, I believe. He also uses it in stick form.
The water in Vancouver is incredibly soft which gives no problem lathering this soap.

celestino

Forum GOD!
I would be more than willing to offer any help, any time. :)

By the way, I believe I was using Michelle's soap before Nathan (Merkur Man) started using it. Consequently, I did not learn how to lather it via his method that he illustrates in his video on Youtube. :D

Last edited:

halvor

a most elusive fish
By the way, I believe I was using Michelle's soap before Nathan (Merkur Man) started using it. Consequently, I did not learn how to lather it via his method that he illustrates in his video on Youtube. :D
I stand corrected and apologise! :)