Klar Seifen

MattM97

Forum GOD!
I don't see this soap come up often in SOTD posts or talked about much. But the times it does come up it gets good reviews and praise. I'm thinking of picking up a tub of this so but want to hear what others have to say about it.

My 2 main concerns are how drying is the soap base? How does it lather in harder water?

Dr Watson

James
I dont find it particularly drying but not moisturising either, Its in the middle and to answer your other question I'm in a really hard water area here and it lathered without issue.

Its a good quality quad milled veg soap but... Scents are not fantastic, good compared to something generic from Nivea or Palmolive perhaps but they really fall down compared to most of the boutique choices we have these days, also the tins are made of recycled Coke cans (I guess) they are so thin it will be covered in dents after a couple of weeks... And the tin itself is completely the wrong dimensions for a shaving soap, they are narrow and tall so loading your brush is incredibly difficult without getting suds everywhere. One can only assume that nobody at Klar actually uses the product themselves as they appear to have no idea how the product will be used.

I'd pick some up if its cheap enough on the BST but wouldn't pay full retail for it, there's far better choices out there for the money.

MattM97

Forum GOD!
I dont find it particularly drying but not moisturising either, Its in the middle and to answer your other question I'm in a really hard water area here and it lathered without issue.

Its a good quality quad milled veg soap but... Scents are not fantastic, good compared to something generic from Nivea or Palmolive perhaps but they really fall down compared to most of the boutique choices we have these days, also the tins are made of recycled Coke cans (I guess) they are so thin it will be covered in dents after a couple of weeks... And the tin itself is completely the wrong dimensions for a shaving soap, they are narrow and tall so loading your brush is incredibly difficult without getting suds everywhere. One can only assume that nobody at Klar actually uses the product themselves as they appear to have no idea how the product will be used.

I'd pick some up if its cheap enough on the BST but wouldn't pay full retail for it, there's far better choices out there for the money.
Thanks for the response this is kinda what I was really looking for from someone else. I'll avoid spending the cash on the Klar at the moment unless I see one for sale on the BST and instead go for one of the SV LE soaps which I really enjoy.

celestino

Forum GOD!
It isn't a bad soap, but compared to the majority of the great artisanal soaps, I don't think it is as good in scent and post-shave. I found it a tad drying.
I don't believe you will miss anything if you decide never to try it.
Of course, this is all subjective.

Eeyore

Forum GOD!
Traditional European soaps are often lighter scented than (American) artisan soaps, Tabac being the exception :wink: I actually prefer that, and dislike the modern scent bombs.

--
Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have a tub of Lemongrass it smells great, not used it yet though as cannot decide to keep it or not.

Fidelis

Forum GOD!
I have Klar Seifen Classic, Sport, Lemongrass and Sandlewood. I only once bought a Klar soap in the original tub and I absolutely agree, it is too small to handle the soap comfortably when shaving. So the other ones, I bought only as refills. I grated them all to new, bigger tubs - much better for using.
Regarding the performance, they are fine soaps, in my top five. If used with the right amount of water, they do very nice (for me).
Scentwise, I prefer Meissner Tremonia, Saponificio Varesino and Martin de Candre.

Shogun

Ive tried it in the past and its fine but the scent is nothing special. The soap does perform well though but in the end theres was really nothing that made it stand out for me.