Irving

efsk

Forum GOD!
Hi gents
Some shavinghistory: The Irving safety razor. Produced by the Irving Safety Razor Co, Torrington, Connecticut, second half of the 1920's, possibly longer? Patent applied for 1925, granted april 20, 1926, US Patent 1581694 according to Waits.
Plating on the grip has thinned somewhat, hence the lighter color. Interesting of course the shape, which is flat, except for a ring on one end. Turning this pulls the centerscrew on the head in, thus fixing head and handle. Also, holding the handle between thumb and middle part of pointingfinger holds the head in the right position.
The head ofcourse being the interesting part of this razor. Like the Crosscut SE, it is shaped as a paralellogram, meaning proprietary blades. Held correctly, the sides are vertical and you're holding an open comb diagonal razor.
Shape and size of the centerpost make it difficult fitting an ordinary DEblade, but not impossible. Having done so, you are tought again the meaning of shaving with no hurry, no pressure and the right angle. Miss one of these three and you're left with a lot of irritation, possible caused partly by the not quite fitting DEblade. Have those three right and it delivers an amazingly comfortable and very smooth shave.

gvw755

Forum GOD!
Very interesting looking razor. In all the pictures except for the middle ones, the razor looked normal, but that was because the pictures were taken at an angle. Also see where Blackland got the inspiration for their new Sabre with the screw post shaved at both sides. Would this make it another variation of a slant razor?

@Conservator, I see what you mean about the comb. It almost look like pin tips.

efsk

Forum GOD!
Also see where Blackland got the inspiration for their new Sabre with the screw post shaved at both sides. Would this make it another variation of a slant razor?
The Sabre may have a flattened post, but the shape of the head and the way the post fits in the head still make for a non-slanted cutting edge. With the Irving, the shape of the head, the way the centerpost is placed (parallel to the short sides, diagonal to the cutting edge) and the way the handle forces you to hold it make it a slant, all missing with the Sabre.

beardyweirdy

Forum GOD!
Interesting piece, thanks for sharing!
I'd love to see more handles like this - I usually grab the razor right below its head when shaving my temples and every time I'm a bit annoyed that most if not all handles don't provide any grip at all in this area. Always thin and polished.

efsk

Forum GOD!
@beardyweirdy funny how folks see different things in the same object :) I like the flat part of the handle because holding it right means the head is at the right angle. You look at it and see the knurling on the screw and think I need that more often :giggle: