1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ikea Sofa's

Discussion in 'ATG Cafe' started by Rowlers, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

FYI..
    We bought 3 and 2 seater "Skogaby" sofa, last March 2016, the 3 seater lasted 6 weeks before the cushions sagged. It was replaced under Ikeas 10 year guarantee as a manufacturing fault.
    6 months on the 3 seater has failed again, exact same issue. Now it classed as normal wear and tear!!! They will not replace it so we are left with a saggy sofa that is unlikely to last 12 months let alone the 10 year guarantee period.
    Not impressed at all and the last we will buy from Ikea!

2. DevonStan

DevonStan Über Member

Letter to Head Office required. Lots of pictures and a polite but firm turn of phrase. Money back by early Feb. guaranteed.

(well, almost guaranteed).

Acer89, R181 and Rowlers like this.
  3. Rowlers

I might just do that @DevonStan...
    I wasn't an expensive sofa (DFS sort of price), but we liked the style and the 10 year guarantee seemed great. I certainly did't expect the POS that we got.

4. DevonStan

DevonStan Über Member

Do it... and tell 'em I told you to...that'll sort 'em out.

Probably no need to over do the Sale of Goods Act etc in the early stages... maybe just a hint. But I would imagine they're all too aware of how bad publicity spreads in these days of Twatter and Face Nook ... or whatever they're called. Maybe an email to advise them that a letter is to follow (sent by Signed For Delivery etc).

Holyzeus and Rowlers like this.
  5. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

You should be able to get it replace or a refund. You just have to kick up a stink. Throw out the not fit for purpose.

6. Rowlers

Nope, no joy with my contact via facebook/customer services, they stand by the independent assessment by Ecomaster. Normal wear and tear it is!
    I shall now send an old fashioned letter, so if that gets some progress....

7. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

My mother is very good at complaining, almost to a proffesional level ha. She always threw out the threat of legal action, bluffing of course and always got her way. When I say got her way, I mean with legit complaints and not blagging stuff.
    My mrs work paid her wages wrong a few hundred quid. After about 6 months still no joy. My mum rang up pretended she was her mum, kicked off and the mrs was paid within a matter of days.
    What I'm saying is, go mental ha. In all seriousness I hope you do get it sorted because this sort of stuff is beyond frustrating.

8. Rowlers

I don't know if I can be bothered with it all to be honest.. My time will probably be best spent sorting the problem with the sofa, stuffing some more foam/wadding in or something.
    I'm just pissed off that they can brag about the "10 year warranty", when in reality it means feck all... They are miss-selling their products...

Batch300 likes this.
  9. ManicDee

ManicDee Über Member

We have had the Ikea "Ektorp" €350, Three seat canvas sofa for the past 4 years, great sofa, Cheap too.
    The only issue I have with Ikea is: as soon as I get there, I want to leave :happy:

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Member #10

In Sweden IKEA used to be referred to as the 'divorce maker' (loosely translated) due to their exhausting store and subsequent assembly - and returns - frustration :)

Rowlers and ManicDee like this.
  11. Redd

Redd A Right Member

The problem for me with Ikea is, I go there for a cheap breakfast with the Mrs...... and drive home with a boot full of god knows what.:meh:

12. pjgh

pjgh Veteran

It's certainly a hateful place to have to go ... always rammed, always difficult to park. When we go, we go as late as we can in as unsociable an hour as we can.

That said, the quality is "of a standard". It's cheap, but it is good for cheap. I had the painful experience of assembling a couple of units from Homebase recently and it put me in mind of just how good IKEA have become. Much of it you have to view as disposable, but you do expect a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable amount of use.

We've had a couple of sofas from them, but they're not our main sitting sofas. Both are okay ... one going a little wobbly on the legs after a few years. To have a product fail so quickly is not good. Yeah, strongly worded letter to head office and follow up with a phone call with someone in a position to take some action. Keep asking to be passed up the chain ... you'll be following up on a letter which will already be past anyone in a call centre.

Meanwhile, what IKEA hacks can we come up with to get more use from this sofa?

New baseboard and blanket - big doggie bed? Strip it bare, carpet it - two person stairmaster?

I jest ... good luck.

Rowlers likes this.
  13. DevonStan

DevonStan Über Member

Does anyone care to take me up on a a challenge?

When I sold up in the south east and moved to the south west there was a need to sell a lot of existing furniture in one and buy smaller stuff in the other (and even then the new stuff didn't stay with us for long, but that's neither here nor there).

The challenge is... to beat my 11 hours in an Ikea store in one visit.
    I do accept that was a bit excessive and in another visit we spent a mere 10 hours in the store.

It's OK though as those times did included having a meal in there.... Swedish meatballs, of course! And would have included time spent at the checkout and loading the car etc.

The 11 hour visit was in the Bristol branch (the nearest to where we moved to...although still 101 miles door to door) and, if I recall correctly, the other was at Lakeside - just half an hour or so from where we used to live.

Do I get some kind of award or somesuch?

14. chris.hale

chris.hale Über Member

I hate Ikea. The furniture's OK, but having to trail through the entire store rather than just being able to go in and pick up what you wanted is a pain.

15. You don't necessarily have to trail through the whole store. On my last visit, I'd already established what I wanted was in stock, so having got one of the assistants to order it, she then directed me to the lift which took me downstairs where I paid and collected - all in about 20 minutes.

Anyone with a bit off practical nous can assemble IKEA products and I find them to be reasonable quality for what you pay.