How to retain or regain the wonderful shape of your Badger, Boar and Synthetic knots

Gentlemen,
if you don´t like the look of your badger brushes blooming up, or your boars looking like scruffy wet dogs. Here is an easy and cheap solution, using easily obtainable products.

Method No. 1:

"The Punk Dryer"

Take the cardboard liner of a loo roll, fold it along it's length and cut some triangles into the edges, unfold and repeat. Return the roll to its original shape but now with some sexy diamond shaped ventilation holes, as shown in the image below.

cardboard role.jpg

After you have used your natural hair shaving brush, shake out most of the water and put it into your newly handmade dryer/shaper, handle first and stand the brush up for one day. Then take the brush out of the loo roll and let it air dry for another day or two, thus removing any risk of damp damage to the knot. Standard toilet rolls will fit most brushes but you can also trim down kitchen roll liners

The boar shaving brushes below show the fine results you will get.
Well formed, ready for their next service.

Boar Brushes in Form 2.jpg

Method No.2

"The Rolls Royce Dryer"

Use curlers. :wink::)

Lockenwickler.jpg

This is the royal method for getting your wet brush knots back in shape. You can get these curlers in different diameters but they are not that cheap. You can only buy them as sets, as of yet, I cannot find anywhere to buy them loose. 4 to 4.5 cm or 1.57 to 1.77" diameter will fit most knots and handles. If they are good for human hair they will work for boar or badger, too.

Have fun and see your well shaped brushes dazzle on the SOTD catwalk. :dance:

Thanks to @Boru62 for editing and correcting my Kraut English.

Last edited:

Gordy

Legendary Member
I'd also like to add to this excellent idea. I use a fine comb to brush my boar knots through. Every so often I will use a normal hair conditioner to soak the knot in for a while after comb again after a proper rinse. When the knot is dry, it's again combed and the shape is retained well. It's amazing just what a fine comb will do to reshape a boat knot.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I just hang my brush up to dry. The size of the stand allows for the knot to be pinched slightly so it may reduce the bloom size. Other than that I have read others using O-rings and rubber bands. Or if in use pinching the knot slightly to reduce splay, but of course this wouldn't effect blooming.

I just hang my brush up to dry. The size of the stand allows for the knot to be pinched slightly so it may reduce the bloom size. Other than that I have read others using O-rings and rubber bands. Or if in use pinching the knot slightly to reduce splay, but of course this wouldn't effect blooming.
I started doing so just to have more space for all my brushes in the showcase. Bloomed boar brushes are real space killer. :)

R181

Grumpy old man
I started doing so just to have more space for all my brushes in the showcase. Bloomed boar brushes are real space killer. :)
I have for boar brushes mostly inexpensive Omega boar brushes and they seem bloom uniformly and fairly compactly. The boar brushes that I have seen that look wild when they bloom are the Semogue ones. They look like the hair on a mad professor. Never a problem with the way my badger and synthetics have bloomed.

Bob

I have for boar brushes mostly inexpensive Omega boar brushes and they seem bloom uniformly and fairly compactly. The boar brushes that I have seen that look wild when they bloom are the Semogue ones. They look like the hair on a mad professor. Never a problem with the way my badger and synthetics have bloomed.

Bob
It`s true, my Semogue boar brushes bloom very wild, too. :D

fly3k

Forum GOD!
I've found if you put them in a tube when dry it keeps the knot more uniform. Saves any issue with the knot not being completely dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found if you put them in a tube when dry it keeps the knot more uniform. Saves any issue with the knot not being completely dry
Never had any issues with my knots, using both methods, showed in the first post of this thread. :okay:

I'd still not fancy taking the risk with a £100+ brush [emoji16]
I don´t buy shaving brushes which will cost me more than 40 Euro. :)
Your method works great, too. Takes more time but it works. Why don´t you show us your method here as alternative with some images, too? Would be great for all members who don´t want to use the wet method, because they own expensive brushes like you. :okay:

fly3k

Forum GOD!
I don´t buy shaving brushes which will cost me more than 40 Euro. :)
Your method works great, too. Takes more time but it works. Why don´t you show us your method here as alternative with some images, too? Would be great for all members who don´t want to use the wet method, because they own expensive brushes like you. :okay:
It's definitely on my to do list, but you know life likes to get in the way of these things.

Do you think it might deserve its own thread or shall I just add it on to this one?

It's definitely on my to do list, but you know life likes to get in the way of these things.
Do you think it might deserve its own thread or shall I just add it on to this one?
Do as you like, but I am glad if you will post it here, just to show another great way to regain the shape of our lovely shaving brushes. :highfive: