How to remove & re-use Epsilon knot?

JayGee

Forum GOD!
Hello all,
I have an epsilon 2-band badger 27/50 in their standard plastic handle faux-Simpsons chubby.
Its a great knot that I don't use very often because I find the handle really uncomfortable and slippy too.
Its a very stiff knot & a good grip is needed.

I have another handle that is the right size for this knot.

Any pointers on how to get the Epsilon knot out & intact for the transplant?

On YouTube there is a guy who breaks apart a semogue boar with a claw hammer, don't think this is the technique to use as the omega knot sits in a plastic cup.

Anyone done this with an Epsilon?

halvor

a most elusive fish
Disclaimer: I’m not the handiest, nor am I equipped with all sort stuff of tools for the job.

That said, I’ve done it once (not on Epsilon) and managed ok. I went at it using a hacksaw.

Dust/debris fly about so make sure to cover up the knot in something, plastic film etc.

If the knot on yours is like it is on my Krion, you can even press the knot in and get a peek down the socket to see how deep roughly to go. Better err on the safe side obviously.

A vice to clamp the handle while working would have eased my process significantly.

I’m sure someone more handy may come up with more and better advice. @Acer89 for instance?

JayGee

Forum GOD!
Thanks, I have a decent hack saw &
luckily access to a bench vice at work, I was going to bind the exposed knot in polythene wrap / duct tape to keep it clean.

I've just had a thought, the handle is not 100% opaque. I might try holding it up to a very bright lamp to see how far down the knot is set.

It seems that if I take it steady I stand a fair chance, as much as I don't like the stock handle it would be better to leave it as if it was likely to not come out cleanly.

halvor

a most elusive fish
I think you’ll be fine, as long as you indeed approach it slowly and steadily.

Two add’l thoughts:

With a Dremel tool you might be able to exert less pressure and thus maintain better control.

If you’re able, stick some cardboard (or something stiffer but flexible) around the knot and into the socket all the way down to the glue. Protects all of it from particles, to a certain extent at least.

Mr_Smartepants

Genius Member
Be careful with a Dremel (or other spinning cut-off wheel), since this could build up heat and melt the plastic handle. A hacksaw might be the best way to go.
Slow and steady wins the race.

JayGee

Forum GOD!
Hacksaw it is & great idea for protecting the knot, I had some acetate sheet knocking about somewhere, that should slide down into the socket a little way at least.

Cheers both, your advice is much appreciated