1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much are you paying for soap evaporation?

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by bambrit, Aug 12, 2017.

1. bambrit

bambrit Senior Member

Before weighing, I calibrated my scales to the nearest 0.5g.
    About a month ago, I opened a 75g stick of Arko to air out. Weight today, unused 70g. I also weighed an unused 60g puck of Haslinger that I have stocked for 2 years. Weight today with original packaging 58g.
    What the...?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Nishy and Matsilainen like this.
  2. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

I watched a very agitated customer berate a salesclerk over a shoelace breaking on a new pair of imported Church's dress shoes. My friend Hassan lost the sale of a very fine Hamadan rug over 'the obvious sun fading' on one end. I tried explaining what 'abrash' was and her husband got western and demanded repeating what I called her.
    Soaps age just like cheese, butchered beef and wine. The loss of moisture content is actually a good thing. Just think of all the glorified tap water people buy in bottles everyday and count yourself better off.

ManicDee, Lann and R181 like this.
  3. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

Yup, just water content evaporating away. Fortunately it is cheaply and easily replaced when you lather up. Not a biggie.

Bob

Matsilainen likes this.
  4. bazemk1979

bazemk1979 Active Member

you must be a one heck of a cheap men haha

5. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Sometimes attention to minutae reveals the cosmos as a whole.

Francorelli, Lann and Missoni like this.
  6. Matsilainen

Matsilainen Veteran

Did you weigh these items with the same scale a month ago / two years ago? The reason I’m asking is that if you are only relying on the manufaturer’s weights, then those may not be entirely accurate.

Today, the opposite happened to me. I weighed a Soapy Bathman soap that I had last used & weighed in February. Today, it inexplicably weighed 0.5 grams more than in February. I wish all soap worked this way… :okay:

bambrit, Acer89 and R181 like this.
  7. Lann

Lann Guru

Those missing grams are the Angel's Share

Acer89, R181, Matsilainen and 3 others like this.
  8. bambrit

bambrit Senior Member

I did. the unwrapped arko was 75g before the airing out and the Haslinger was 60g exactly when new.

Matsilainen likes this.
  9. bambrit

bambrit Senior Member

First world problems, i know. I am more curious about how much a shaving cream or croap is water and how it compares to a triple milled soap. I imagine that it could be substantial.

Matsilainen likes this.
  10. alfredus

alfredus Legendary Member

In case of Arko - count yourself lucky: 5g less of the horrible scent to endure :D:D:D

Acer89, bambrit, p.b and 3 others like this.
  11. Matsilainen

Matsilainen Veteran

An interesting thing I’ve noted when tracking weights is that I seem to use very close to the same amount of soap per shave, whether it be a hard soap or a soft soap (or even a cream). I should narrow down my rotation to get a better idea of long-term usage, though.

And yes, first world problems, maybe, but I still find it interesting. There are those among us (for instance, @churchilllafemme) who have experience regularly using soaps and creams that are even decades old. From what I understand, the scent may often be gone, but the performance is often still there.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

No idea what percentage is water but you can just about bet the softer a soap is the more water it contains. When you triple mill a soap one of the things that happens is moisture/water is driven out. Triple milled soap probably has the lowest water content and will probably last longer in use than the other soap/cream types. It takes more effort to load a brush from a triple milled puck and create a lather than from the other types because of that.

Bob

bambrit, Robyflexx and Matsilainen like this.
  13. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

In the Klondike Goldrush clerks in the assay offices would grow their fingernails long and literally pinch a bit of gold dust while wieghing. I give fair warning. Should I visit and you observe uncut nails don't let me handle your soaps.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. bambrit

bambrit Senior Member

I agree and hence the month of airing/drying. And at a buck a stick, it keeps me humble and have been able to permanently ween myself off stealing cars and sniffing petrol. Next up, reviving my dance career.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Matsilainen likes this.
  15. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

Well, once you have used the Arko you may see just how easily a good a lather it will produce. On our side of the pond it is hard to beat for a buck a stick.

Bob