Review HONE Type 15

Cheesepiece

Stickler
Ended up buying this blind without first joining a passaround. I did so with confidence as I thoroughly enjoy the shave of a mild razor, ASD1, Wilko Stickie, Tech, for example.

I purchased from a couple of our members two Hone 15 razors. One with patina and one without.

I shaved with the Hone today for the first time and, I felt compelled to write a review.

The last time I held and used a DE razor which from the outset felt special was when I tried the Feather ASD1. Since that day I've had the same feeling only once, with a PAL adjustable injector, until today and the Hone 15.

The sheer weight, rigidity, lack of aggression and the balancing act with its blade's efficacy is not found in other razors. The Merkur Vision had, for me, many of the same qualities but lacked the style and minimalist feel of the Hone.

With a (second-shave) Polsilver Super Iridium below deck on the Hone's maiden voyage I can report a smoothness and balance that will be hard to surpass. I don't know if I've struck lucky with the Polsilver SI blade working so well in the Hone but I am optimistic that this razor could tame many a blade.

The head design encompasses the blade (including end stops, which adds a premium feel itself) so beautifully and completely, that, I imagine, one would struggle to cause irritation during a routine shave. I slapped on a generous amount of Turkish Lemon cologne tonight after the shave (as Swmbo's away) and felt nothing. Nothing.

I feel this razor and I will come to get along just fine.

Cheesepiece

Stickler
How are thoughts now? Have you shaved with this more?
I have not used anything else. I shave every other day. I've gone through a Big Ben and a Polsilver SI blade.
Today was probably the Big Ben's last outing.
WTG, WTG, XTG
A very smooth shave. As close as I'd like over all areas - an ATG pass away from BBS, which is rarely my aim.
I enjoy the warmth of it. When left in the sink before the shave, it warms up and retains the heat. Feels great in hand.
It's probably the best looking razor I own. Definitely looks smart in the iKon razor stand when not in use. The patina is beginning to develop and I think that may even improve the appearance. I like that areas on the handle and head become burnished.
I don't know where to go next with blade choice. I may try a blade less famed for its sharpness and try an old faithful, Shark or Vintage Wilko, or stick with the sharp trend and move onto Blue Diamond, Gillette Black/Yellow, Astra SP, et al.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I love the look of the Hone 15, especially the brass.

When I "do" DE, I most enjoy those which appear very mild yet deliver a good, close shave. Smooth, impossible to cut yourself sort of razors. My favourites are the Star, Treet, Personna & PAL DEs. The feel is like a Gillette adjustable on 1, expect that you get shave.

My bugbear? The blade edges stick out ...

The Hone 15 appears to address that, appears to be a close gap, smooth yet capable shaver. It certainly looks good, sounds good ... maybe :D

Sausage

Forum GOD!
They are most beautiful DEs. But many find them too mild so I decided not to get one. Ok and the price for the brass one is a bit too high for me..at least at this moment.